What do you think of being able to "hide" from the Alien?

Started by Jegeren, Apr 25, 2014, 12:47:18 AM

Author
What do you think of being able to "hide" from the Alien? (Read 24,331 times)

Kimarhi

lol

Point made!

gabgrave

On the appearance of the Alien in A:I, just wanted to point out that with the inclusion of Prometheus, all bets are out the window, since the origin can come from ANYWHERE, not just the usual planet, or something that's been hiking through space.
If you look at the continuity, Prometheus occurs before Alien, so the two would be historical, while Aliens, Alien3 and Alien:R would be unconnected at this point. On the assumption that they designed based on what the inworld characters would know, no one would be aware of what a Queen is, or what the actual lifecycle of the Alien would be, and I hope the game lets us find out.

For the topic of the lifecycle and contrast between the Queen and cocoon forms, I don't mean to throw fuel into the fire but if you recall, AVP2 introduced a third form of replication by the Predalien by physically using the inner mouth to implant embryos into the victims. Multiples of. So lifecycle can be as much a creation of the director as anything else, and what future directors down the line take for canon is up to them. The canon is flexible and evolving in that way.
However, I must point out that some comics and novels have clearly stated that the two forms of reproduction can take place, depending on the presence of a queen embryo, or if it has to grow into one. The Alien was stated to be able to evolve, after the Aliens films.

So Alien->Cocoon to get more Aliens->morph into Queen->Eggs
or
Queen egg->Queen embryo->Queen

NickisSmart

Don't forget the black goo.

meshuggah

meshuggah

"We're inspired by the first film and whatever happened next doesn't really matter in a way. When we started out, I really wanted to make a story that was closely tied to that first film, so we could take advantage of the fiction."
- Ali Hope, Creative Lead on Alien: Isolation, GamesTM interview

Make of that what you will.

ikarop

From the April issue of Hyper magazine:

Randomizer

I think that hiding from Aliens is nearly impossible ... maybe if someone distracts them or you're in another room but otherwise not .

NickisSmart

I remember in the first AvP that I could see people's pheromones in the dark, clear as day. It made hiding totally impossible. However, for the sake of not dying over and over and over, I know that this will not be how the creature functions. They're going to balance it. If we're lucky they'll add additional difficulty modes to make the game even more challenging.

@Messugah: Hmm. It sounds like I might be right, after all, then.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Guys for the final time, this isn't based on the dumbass EU.

SM

"We're inspired by the first film.  You know the one where the Alien could see pheromones and auras and shit."

NickisSmart

If that article is true, SM, we could be seeing a different version of the creature not seen since 1979, a star beast instead of a xenomorph. : )

newbeing

Quote from: SM on May 06, 2014, 10:07:25 PM
"We're inspired by the first film.  You know the one where the Alien could see pheromones and auras and shit."

When prompted you have to press a button to hold in your farts.

SM

You have to mash it or a squeaker might escape.

NickisSmart

Quote from: newbeing on May 06, 2014, 11:27:38 PM
Quote from: SM on May 06, 2014, 10:07:25 PM

When prompted you have to press a button to hold in your farts.

That concept worked well enough in RE4. Take a peak at this article: http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/alien-isolation-hands-on-pc-gamer-vs-the-monster/

The demo testers here explain that hiding in a locker doesn't work every time for various reasons, but mainly due to the fact that the creature is smart. Hiding in the locker isn't meant to work every time, won't save you if the creature sees you before you get into it, etc. I remember in Amnesia, your character would start to lose control as their sanity dwindled in the presence of the creature. I think a similar mechanic in A:I would be pretty awesome, if correctly implemented. Like I said, it worked in RE4. I just hope that it's more complicated and spontaneous and less static than the way it was featured in the Mass effect series. Something tells me that it will be more random and less predictable. If you listened to the interviews, you'd know that this creature doesn't have set patterns, so why would they have such a simple game mechanic that didn't behave in the same way?

DaddyYautja

Quote from: Xhan on May 04, 2014, 01:36:39 AM
I'm not saying he actively disparaged any particular motif, but he altered the path significantly and he literally transferred the power of the single Alien into an oversized version with a voodoo headress, which is a negative turn on the creature itself. 

It removed any lovecraftian and otherworldly creepy motifs and relegated the Alien to "machine in the service of", and I don't think that can really be argued against, given that there's almost thirty years of SCREEE *blam* that followed after.

Well, there was a ship filled with eggs, right?

QuoteAs good as Aliens is, it neutered the Alien as a force or vector.

Look at the game we have.

"We're gonna make the Alien scary again"

Yeah they made the Alien scary again by removing the ability to wield a counterthreat and deliberately gimping any means of doing so.

Aliens chopped his nards off, and now he's fat and lazy and licks himself all day, and the only reason he's scary in this slice of circumstance is that the player is cast in the role of quadraplegic 7 year old who's allergic to cats and is locked in a house where every room is connected to another room by stairs, and conveniently happens to be locked in said house with an antisocial bengal of Unusually Robust Size and Temperament.

??? the first alien was taking on a bunch of space miners... they werent space ninjas.
They making the Alien scary again by taking it back to the original setup of it taking down a bunch of random average folk not prepared for this.

OpenMaw

It wasn't even that the crew was ill-prepared. They had freakin' laser guns, which according to the Ridleygrams, would have been able to damage the alien.

The problem for the crew was solely that the Alien had acid for blood. It forced them to take on a very dangerous game of flushing the creature to the airlock.

The unstoppable menace thing is one element people really need to let go. The Alien was never, ever, intended to be regarded as "unstoppable" outside of the fact that shooting it would have killed the crew via decompression.

However, denying that Aliens didn't trigger an outlook change on the Alien is also false. People misinterpret the "bug" stuff in Aliens as anything but a foil. The comics were horrendous about this. The Aliens in Aliens were much closer to an oncoming storm. They attack en masse, and in huge waves that utterly destroy their target. They will over come whatever you throw at them, they will bypass your barriers. They will cut the power. Firepower doesn't help you, because there are more aliens than you can ever hope to shoot. You are outmatched, and help isn't coming.

Aliens is still a very tense movie. The fact that people took the macho aspects and ran with them instead of understanding what was truly going on in the film, is not Aliens' fault. Every firefight is a desperate fight for survival. The aliens are definitely not "just bugs."

Either way i'm glad that they're going back to basics and making a genuine horror game. It's long overdue.   :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed