When can we expect news about Alien: Covenant sequel?

Started by Daszkowski, Sep 17, 2017, 10:46:53 PM

Author
When can we expect news about Alien: Covenant sequel? (Read 77,189 times)

SM

If it ever happened they likely wouldn't release under the Disney banner.

Local Trouble

Quote from: AD on Nov 06, 2017, 08:18:27 PM
So before people start freaking out: CHILL.

monkeylove

Quote from: SM on Nov 06, 2017, 03:06:09 AM
Like I said - if you redefine 'flop' to whatever suits your horse flogging agenda rather than the traditional usage - it can be called a flop.

What do you mean by "traditional usage"?

SM

You know perfectly well what I mean.

TWJones

I was under the impression that a "flop" was something that lost money. With profit margins in the millions of dollars, even if a film doesn't do as well as projected, that's not necessarily a flop.

If millions are being made, that is the goal of the businesses involved. No one wants to lose money, and that's when a film is a complete and utter failure.

Denton Smalls

I understand what you guys are saying about what constitutes profit but in this case it's all relatively to studio expectations. They green-light lower budget movies like something $5 million and are very happy if it makes $30 million-plus. They green-light big budget films with the expectation of at least doubling or even tripling the production and marketing costs.

A good comparison, although not exactly representative of A:C and it's performance, would be placing a $1 million bet in Vegas on something where the odds are so high that you only stand to win back $1,000,500. I'm not saying it's that extreme, but studio logic is the risk is greater than the reward.

monkeylove

Quote from: SM on Nov 07, 2017, 01:53:44 AM

My view is that a movie is a flop if it failed to perform as expected. For example, if it was supposed to guarantee a 7-percent return on investment for those who funded it but returned 0.7 percent, then it's a flop.

Scorpio

Only greedy executives would consider it a flop.

97 mil budget - ~20 mil in grants from Aust. govt.
240 mil box office ww
top of blu-ray/dvd charts
merchandising profits
etc

Big success.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: monkeylove on Nov 08, 2017, 07:01:30 AM

My view is that a movie is a flop if it failed to perform as expected. For example, if it was supposed to guarantee a 7-percent return on investment for those who funded it but returned 0.7 percent, then it's a flop.

That isn't a flop, though. It's as simple as - it's a flop if it didn't earn money. Fox has said that Covenant is an earner for them. It didn't do as well as they'd hoped but it still isn't a flop, not in the slightest. And I think you're flogging a dead-horse with trying to convince people it was. 

SM

Quote from: monkeylove on Nov 08, 2017, 07:01:30 AM

Alright then, you didn't know.
And have been arguing a definition only you adhere to.

Biomechanoid

Quote from: TWJones on Nov 07, 2017, 03:13:54 PM
I was under the impression that a "flop" was something that lost money.
Not always the case. A film could collect a gargantuan net profit, but still be a flop with the critics.

Highland

King Arthur was a flop, shame, pretty damn good movie for what it was. After I saw the RT score I was surprised although I've been doubtful of RT for a while now.

monkeylove

monkeylove

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 08, 2017, 08:47:02 AM

That isn't a flop, though. It's as simple as - it's a flop if it didn't earn money. Fox has said that Covenant is an earner for them. It didn't do as well as they'd hoped but it still isn't a flop, not in the slightest. And I think you're flogging a dead-horse with trying to convince people it was.

But I never argued that it is a flop. What I said is that the argument that a movie isn't a flop simply because it made money doesn't make sense: if a movie made only a dollar in profits then it earned money. But how many investors who invest, say, $50 million, will be happy to get a return on investment worth 50 cents?

What this means, then, is that A:C didn't simply earn money but made a enough to cover investors' and the studio's expected margin. I mentioned 7 percent because that is probably good enough compared to what one can make conservatively through other investments.

The other possibility is that the movie made well below what the studio and investors wanted, but ideas for the sequel might make them believe that they can make up for the poor performance of the current film.

Thus, as much as you want to believe that this issue is simple, it's likely not.

Quote from: SM on Nov 08, 2017, 09:11:04 AM

Alright then, you didn't know.
And have been arguing a definition only you adhere to.

I believe that Fox decided to produce A:C with an expected profit margin in mind, and went through the creative and marketing process to achieve that goal. I say that because that's how businesses work, especially for-profit businesses who have investors who want the best deal. They don't work in your imaginary way, where studio execs pitch a movie idea to investors, arguing that it will simply make money, and when told how much, will answer "whatever."

Quote from: Scorpio on Nov 08, 2017, 07:17:13 AM
Only greedy executives would consider it a flop.

97 mil budget - ~20 mil in grants from Aust. govt.
240 mil box office ww
top of blu-ray/dvd charts
merchandising profits
etc

Big success.

Not just greedy executives but greedy investors who expect the best return on their investment. If you were encouraged to invest $50 million in a movie because you were told that you'd get a return that's higher than what you'd get if you had just put it in low interest-bearing instruments in a bank, and ended up getting a few dollars (it still made money, right?), would you consider that movie a success?

Also, for the figures that you shared, don't forget to add the marketing cost to the budget (in some cases, the same amount as production cost), remove 30 to 50 percent from the box office (the theater owners' cut) plus others, and subtract taxes.

Try this article for guidance:

https://stephenfollows.com/how-a-cinemas-box-office-income-is-distributed/

Biomechanoid

Quote from: Highland on Nov 08, 2017, 12:20:19 PM
King Arthur was a flop, shame, pretty damn good movie for what it was. After I saw the RT score I was surprised although I've been doubtful of RT for a while now.
Are you talking about the Charlie Hunman King Arthur or the Clive Owen King Arthur?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed