Dark Horse Announces Aliens: Defiance

Started by RidgeTop, Sep 30, 2015, 06:29:00 AM

Author
Dark Horse Announces Aliens: Defiance (Read 193,947 times)

Russ840

Quote from: Ultramorph on Jul 14, 2017, 05:07:15 PM
I believe Volume 1 has been pulled from Diamond, which hints that a collected edition is probably coming.

That's a good sign. To be honest though, I'll probably only buy it if there is a decent amount of extra content.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Ultramorph on Jul 14, 2017, 05:07:15 PMI believe Volume 1 has been pulled from Diamond, which hints that a collected edition is probably coming.

Seems a bit of a gyp to do a volume 1 then follow it up with a complete collection rather than a volume 2. Bit of a slap in the face to the people who bought the first volume if they then have to re-buy the exact same stuff just to get the second half.

Nostromo

Nostromo

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 17, 2017, 09:44:47 AM
Quote from: Ultramorph on Jul 14, 2017, 05:07:15 PMI believe Volume 1 has been pulled from Diamond, which hints that a collected edition is probably coming.

Seems a bit of a gyp to do a volume 1 then follow it up with a complete collection rather than a volume 2. Bit of a slap in the face to the people who bought the first volume if they then have to re-buy the exact same stuff just to get the second half.

I've pre ordered Volume 1 and 2. You mean there's not going to be a Volume 2 now? Do retards run Dark Horse?

PS> I just checked Amazon, it's still available for pre order...hmmm

Aliens: Defiance Volume 2 Oct 10 2017
by Brian Wood and Tristan Jones
Paperback
CDN$ 22.90CDN$ 25.99Prime
Eligible for FREE Shipping
Available for Pre-order. This item will be released on October 10 2017.

Corporal Hicks

Just been pushed back a few weeks. I had it down for the end of September in the Motion Tracker.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I re-read the entire series on Sunday. I really don't think the back half was quite as bad as I'd thought it was during the single read. The shift of artist was a little disappointing but the artist they got in for the last few issues, Stephen Thompson(?), was pretty good and his style looks somewhat similar to Tristan's. I do think he's another one we've been spoilt with though and I really hope he comes back on more projects.

Storywise, the back end of the season does get sloppy. There's really no time for the hugger to finish the business with Hollis, the whole thing with letting the Queen out and then her mysteriously dying despite "not even a scratch" following her fight with the mercs and then they just sort of turn around for home. Granted, I get why and I liked those last few issues of wrap-up but just felt a little bit of a whimper rather than a bang.

I really did love all the characters. It was definitely a great core group. I'd be really interested in seeing a continuation.

HuDaFuK

Yeah, you can really tell they changed direction about halfway through, and it really hurt the series overall.

It's a shame this series went from such a promising start to being so much of nothing by the end.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I thought it was pretty badass that they kept the Queen and the intent with using it to wipe out invaders but I didn't get the impression they were in that dire of a situation to warrant going that far and I would have liked to have seen them perhaps try and herd the Queen that way, rather than the convenience of her just going the right way.

I wouldn't go as far as to say it was pretty much nothing, though.

Though the timeline did seem a little out of wack. Didn't they have this as taking place well before Aliens?

Ultramorph

Yeah, I was really looking forward to Zula and Davis blasting off into the unknown and getting basically X-Files in the Aliens universe.

Russ840

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 20, 2017, 03:56:11 PM
I thought it was pretty badass that they kept the Queen and the intent with using it to wipe out invaders but I didn't get the impression they were in that dire of a situation to warrant going that far and I would have liked to have seen them perhaps try and herd the Queen that way, rather than the convenience of her just going the right way.

I wouldn't go as far as to say it was pretty much nothing, though.

Though the timeline did seem a little out of wack. Didn't they have this as taking place well before Aliens?

It was taking place in the same time frame as Isolation. So quiet a bit before Aliens

Still Collating...

Loved this series! But yeah, the second half is a weaker. I was also confused about the timeline. Does this mean they had xeno DNA on earth before Aliens?  ::)
And maybe I just missed this, but was it hinted at where the aliens came from?  ???

Ultramorph

The idea of WY being to basically grow Aliens from samples was sort of cool, and I think they were setting up something with hybrids. It does present issues as far as the timeline, though, like why they didn't just grow Aliens from the millions of pieces of the xeno from A3.

Perfect-Organism

This started of so well but went all Colonial Marines by the end.  Disappointed really.  I was totally enjoying the series at first...

SM

SM

How was it even remotely "all Colonial Marines"?

Corporal Hicks

Yeah, I think that was somewhat hyperbolic. The second half was disappointing but nowhere near Colonial Marines level of madness.

Perfect-Organism

Both series started off well, then there was a clear change in direction half way through and different artists, and overall different feel to the series as compared to where it started.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed