Peter Weyland video ! ^^

Started by Snowdog, Feb 28, 2012, 07:16:01 PM

Author
Peter Weyland video ! ^^ (Read 150,321 times)

Hudson

Hudson

Man...I KNEW that it was taken from 2001: A Space Odyssey. I just never knew the actual composer/piece. Never bothered to try and find out.

Is this music perfect for outer space, or is it perfect for outer space because it worked in 2001?  ???

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Thank you, I listen to the hell out of that video.  Thanks 2001 for turning me on to this original musical piece.  That is funny about Horner, but I read that they did the same thing with Alien score, kind of assembled it from newly scored music and classical pieces that they had used in the test footage (or whatever they call it.)

SM

SM

Not really.  They did include some of Goldsmith's work from Freud in the temp track that made it into the final film - which pissed him off no end since he'd composed new stuff that went unused.  However the vast bulk of the Alien score was specifically composed for the film.

Goldsmith's end titles got ditched in favour of Hanson's The Romantic though.

Quote from: Hudson on Mar 03, 2012, 12:01:19 AM
Man...I KNEW that it was taken from 2001: A Space Odyssey. I just never knew the actual composer/piece. Never bothered to try and find out.

Is this music perfect for outer space, or is it perfect for outer space because it worked in 2001?  ???

The latter I suspect.

Kinda like the music from Battle Beyond the Stars, and Star Treks 2 and 3 worked too.  ;D

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

The first thing I ever heard it in was Aliens, and I think it's used well at the beginning at the end to express the desolation and scope of deep space and the dream metaphors found throughout the Alien series.

It was so beautiful, kind of minimalist, and played on my hopes and fears perfectly.  I wanted to be Newt (but the male version, think Gingrich) in that cryotube.

Good thing I wasn't huh?! :laugh: :laugh:

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: RagingDragon on Mar 03, 2012, 12:02:22 AM
Thank you, I listen to the hell out of that video.  Thanks 2001 for turning me on to this original musical piece.  That is funny about Horner, but I read that they did the same thing with Alien score, kind of assembled it from newly scored music and classical pieces that they had used in the test footage (or whatever they call it.)

Not quite the same.  The studio, Ridley and the editors took Jerry Goldsmith's original score, and broke it up.  They also incorporated earlier music that Goldsmith composed for the score of the film "Freud".  So, it was all Jerry's original music.  However, at the very end, the studio screwed over Goldsmith (without his knowledge, and outside of his control), by cutting in a classical piece by Howard Hanson (Symphony #2 Romantic).  This is the scene when Ripley hits the Narcisuss' thrusters, and kills the Alien.

LOL, I see that SM beat me too the punch. ^

SM

SM

I actually prefer the Hanson piece to Goldsmith's closing titles.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: SM on Mar 03, 2012, 12:15:44 AM
Indeed.

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: SM on Mar 03, 2012, 12:15:44 AM

Son of a bitch.  I feel the exact same way.  As much as I love the rest of Golsmith's score for ALIEN, I think Hanson's piece was just perfect for the ending.

For those interested, the theme we are talking about can be heard starting around the 5:00 mark, below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgOFiJIJ1r4#

Cvalda

Cvalda

And if you want to hear the EXACT recording used in the film, it can be found on this compilation:
http://www.amazon.com/Great-American-Composers-Aaron-Copland/dp/B000003GE7/

Too bad the excerpt used in the film wasn't included on the Complete Score release for convenience's sake. Ah, well.

Quote from: Cvalda on Mar 03, 2012, 12:26:14 AM
And if you want to hear the EXACT recording used in the film, it can be found on this compilation:

Too bad the excerpt used in the film wasn't included on the Complete Score release for convenience's sake. Ah, well.

Thanks for this tip - I've been trying to track that piece down for years!

Are you positive it is the same recording?

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: 180924609 on Mar 03, 2012, 12:36:12 AM
Quote from: Cvalda on Mar 03, 2012, 12:26:14 AM

Thanks for this tip - I've been trying to track that piece down for years!

Are you positive it is the same recording?
It is, I own it. Best of all, it's remastered and sounds great. Well, as great as a recording from the late 60's can sound.

SM

SM

Alien+spanish+bootleg

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: SM on Mar 03, 2012, 12:37:59 AM
Alien+spanish+bootleg
Crappy+sound+quality ;)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Cvalda on Mar 02, 2012, 02:19:21 AM

..>Dude. They're right under your red circle.

I believe @Cvalda is referring to the three central ovoids *above* the three 'vaginal' ovoids:

They dont appear to feature on the 'new' derelict in Prometheus.

It is however only a minor detail that I would forgive and class along with other classic inconsistencies such as the the yellow 'Sulaco' logo in Alien3. :D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed