Halo

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 10, 2006, 12:19:56 PM

Author
Halo (Read 744,115 times)

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

I didn't like 343's new designs for the Elites, either.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I didn't mind the designs, it was just the language I didn't care for. With the return of the Arbiter we should hopefully be getting English speaking Elites again, though.

Halo: Nightfall wallpaper. Could a piece of Installation 04 have survived the explosion?

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 09, 2014, 07:42:56 PM
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/09/e3-2014-halo-the-master-chief-collection-halo-5-beta-announced-for-xbox-one

I really love this little tidbit, which wasn't mentioned at the actual conference:

QuoteRenowned CG cutscene studio Blur is handling the do-over on all of the Halo 2 cutscenes, including a brand-new non-playable prologue and epilogue that will "contextualize the Chief's journey in [Halo] 1-4, and also set up a bit of what to expect in Halo 5," according to 343 Executive Producer of Publishing Dan Ayoub.
[HEAVY FRUSTRATED BREATHING]

Aside from the redesigned super angry/ugly looking Elites which robs them of their intelligent and cunning feel. They just look like monsters. Really though, even though the CG is impressive, I don't want it anywhere near Halo 2's cutscenes. I can't even imagine the game transitioning back and forth between CGI and in-engine for the vignette cutscenes that flowed seamlessly between gameplay and cinematic. This means they'll feature the [mostly] yucky Halo 4 designs and inevitably change the unforgettable in-game cinematography... so I'm none too enthused about that. If Combat Evolved Anniversary is any indication as well, they'll probably swap the hand animation out for janky motion capture.  :-\

On the other hand, redone audio aside, having Halo 2's multiplayer back and remastered is beautiful, and hopefully this also means that CE will have a version of its multiplayer integrated ala the PC version's system... and dedicated goddamn servers, and 60 frames per second! I'm going to love seeing Halo moving at that pace for the first time. Hopefully Halo 2's multiplayer is in the original ending though, the Banshee evasion has me feeling like it'll use Halo 4's engine because of how low it swoops down before looping. Halo 2 had the best Bashee control and the best vehicular combat in the series, so I'm hoping that's all maintained.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

If I understood the conference correctly, all four games' maps will be playable on their own engines. When you go into a lobby and, say, a Halo 2 map/gametype is chosen you will play complete Halo 2 multiplayer. They are also, however, remaking six or so Halo 2 maps in (I think) Halo 4 style, kind of like how Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary shipped with some classic maps remade for Reach.

And hmm, when I posted that quote I actually missed the bit where all of Halo 2's cutscenes were going to be CGI. I was mostly just excited about the new prologue and epilogue that'll help to set up Halo 5: Guardians. I'm going to assume that, like Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, if you're playing in the original graphics you will get the original cutscenes rather than the new CGI rendered ones. I really wish that the updated CEA and H2A cutscenes didn't screw with the cinematography, but at the end of the day I really just look at the Anniversary editions as interesting experiments on the classic games I love rather than the definitive editions of them. Even once I have H2A in my hands I'm sure I'm going to use the original graphics and cutscenes during my playthroughs just as much as I use the new ones.

I just hope that this is it, as far as remakes go. Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary was an excellent gift celebrating 10 years of Halo and the XBox, and it made for a nice little bundle to release before 343i's first trure foray into the Halo universe. Like I said above, I would have been opposed to just a Halo 2: Anniversary on the ground that, as good as it was, it was at the end of the day just another entry in the series; if they start remaking every game, where do the stop? With the announcement of The Master Chief Collection containing all four games and an updated Halo 2 while paving the path for Halo 5: Guardians, however, 343i did definitely win me over on the remake front. It will be very nice to have all four games starring the Chief on the XBox One, with new content, before Halo 5: Guardians hits next year. From now on I hope that their "bridge" products are smaller games a la Halo 3: O.D.S.T. rather than remakes of past games, though.

At the very least, at least I'll be able to play Halo 2 without that ugly  giant shadow glare thing that pops up most of the time while playing on the 360. :P

p1nk81cd

p1nk81cd

*sees the Thel 'Vadam*

YES!

Nightlord

Nightlord

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTt3NXTnfCU#ws

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 10, 2014, 11:45:08 AM
At the very least, at least I'll be able to play Halo 2 without that ugly  giant shadow glare thing that pops up most of the time while playing on the 360. :P
This is the only reason I've ever wanted Halo 2 anniversary.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Nightlord on Jun 10, 2014, 03:27:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTt3NXTnfCU#ws

That looks really good, actually. I know it is only one location, but so far it looks more faithful to the original Halo 2 than Combat Evolved Anniversary did do Combat Evolved.

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 10, 2014, 11:45:08 AM
Yup, and in 1080p/60 frames per second, which will look amazing.

Also... I may get a bit of shit for this, but is it bad that I didn't notice the original Halo 2 graphics until they did the switch to the Anniversary's? That, and the Anniversary's are actually either really faithful, or it's just a testament to how goddamn well Halo 2's graphics (texture pop-in aside) were developed.  :D

Really, my only complaint with the remastering, aside from the annoying choice to do the cutscenes over in CGI, (breaking Halo tradition of gorgeously captured in-engine cinematics... especially in Halo 2) is how overly dark and shadowy everything is (Cairo's interior lighting, even in the garden room, is cast to be almost entirely dependent on solar lighting, the lights that there are cover only small pockets rather than light the room). The surfaces are all gloomy and dim like it's trying to be lit for a horror film, where Halo 2 was arguably the most consistently bright/vibrant of the series. Can't even imagine how The Arbiter's Delta Halo Flood levels are going to look.  :-\

I should make clear, I am very excited for this, and absolutely over the moon that my favorite Halo multiplayer experience is coming back, as well as Halo: CE being brought fully online with its original engine, which will surely bring back some good Halo PC memories, but certain things they're doing are just robbing the original game of some of its best, most unique assets amongst the series, from its color palette to its highly memorable cinematography. I love to love, but I love to complain too... there's so much promise here, I just don't want it to be brought down by odd creative decisions.

Nightlord

Nightlord

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Jun 11, 2014, 02:44:48 AM
Also... I may get a bit of shit for this, but is it bad that I didn't notice the original Halo 2 graphics until they did the switch to the Anniversary's? That, and the Anniversary's are actually either really faithful, or it's just a testament to how goddamn well Halo 2's graphics (texture pop-in aside) were developed.  :D
That is exactly what I was thinking when I watched the video. Really apart from making the lighting a bit darker the change doesn't seem to be as drastic as it was for CE.

If there is two things they absolutely need to fix for this anniversary it's chief's armour pop-in during the elevator ride and arbiter's jaw clipping in the close-up between him and halfjaw.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u15qpXrJhyQ#ws

Definitely agree with Sweeps about the overbearing darkness in Cairo Station. Halo's lighting has always been one of its standout features, in my opinion. This is a work in progress, however, and it could change between now and release, and for the most part everything else looks and sounds great. 

So Halo 5: Guardians' new Spartan Abilities will not be Armor Abilities.

https://twitter.com/quinndelhoyo/status/476055619951026177
https://twitter.com/bradford_welch/status/476387488718548992

Deathbearer

Deathbearer

Microsoft, you sons of bitches..you knew I wanted to play Halo 2's multiplayer again..you knew it was the best. You know how crappy I think Halo 4's multiplayer is. You f**king bastards, trying to make me buy an Xbox One to relive the glory of the past. You f**king bastards...

The Runner

The Runner

Wait so for Halo 2 Anniversary are they using the Elite designs from Reach or 4? I see that they are using the Reach grunt designs.

Nightlord

Nightlord

The elite minors are from 4 for sure.

All the maps.
QuoteFrom Halo: Combat Evolved
Battle Creek
Blood Gulch
Boarding Action
Chill Out
Chiron TL-34
Damnation
Danger Canyon (PC)
Death Island (PC)
Derelict
Gephyrophobia (PC)
Hang 'Em High
Ice Fields (PC)
Infinity (PC)
Longest
Prisoner
Rat Race
Sidewinder
Timberland (PC)
Wizard

From Halo 2
Ascension
Backwash
Beaver Creek
Burial Mounds
Coagulation
Colossus
Containment
Desolation
District (PC)
Elongation
Foundation
Gemini
Headlong
Ivory Tower
Lockout
Midship
Relic
Sanctuary
Terminal
Tombstone
Turf
Uplift (PC)
Warlock
Waterworks
Zanzibar

Halo 2 maps remastered using a "native" Xbox One engine
Ascension
Lockout
Zanzibar
???
???
???

From Halo 3
Assembly
Avalanche
Blackout
Boundless
Citadel
Cold Storage
Construct
Epilogue
Epitaph
Foundry
Ghost Town
Guardian
Heretic
High Ground
Isolation
Last Resort
Longshore
Onslaught
Orbital
Pit Stop
Rat's Nest
Sandbox
Sandtrap
Snowbound
Standoff
The Pit
Valhalla

From Halo 4
Abandon
Adrift
Ascent
Complex
Daybreak
Erosion
Exile
Forge Island
Grifball Court
Harvest
Haven
Impact
Landfall
Longbow
Meltdown
Monolith
Outcast
Perdition
Pitfall
Ragnarok
Ravine
Relay
Settler
Shatter
Skyline
Solace
Vertigo
Vortex
Wreckage
http://www.totalxbox.com/78078/be-upstanding-for-halo-the-master-chief-collections-full-map-list/

The Runner

The Runner

Quote from: Nightlord on Jun 11, 2014, 05:59:21 PM
The elite minors are from 4 for sure.

All the maps.
QuoteFrom Halo: Combat Evolved
Battle Creek
Blood Gulch
Boarding Action
Chill Out
Chiron TL-34
Damnation
Danger Canyon (PC)
Death Island (PC)
Derelict
Gephyrophobia (PC)
Hang 'Em High
Ice Fields (PC)
Infinity (PC)
Longest
Prisoner
Rat Race
Sidewinder
Timberland (PC)
Wizard

From Halo 2
Ascension
Backwash
Beaver Creek
Burial Mounds
Coagulation
Colossus
Containment
Desolation
District (PC)
Elongation
Foundation
Gemini
Headlong
Ivory Tower
Lockout
Midship
Relic
Sanctuary
Terminal
Tombstone
Turf
Uplift (PC)
Warlock
Waterworks
Zanzibar

Halo 2 maps remastered using a "native" Xbox One engine
Ascension
Lockout
Zanzibar
???
???
???

From Halo 3
Assembly
Avalanche
Blackout
Boundless
Citadel
Cold Storage
Construct
Epilogue
Epitaph
Foundry
Ghost Town
Guardian
Heretic
High Ground
Isolation
Last Resort
Longshore
Onslaught
Orbital
Pit Stop
Rat's Nest
Sandbox
Sandtrap
Snowbound
Standoff
The Pit
Valhalla

From Halo 4
Abandon
Adrift
Ascent
Complex
Daybreak
Erosion
Exile
Forge Island
Grifball Court
Harvest
Haven
Impact
Landfall
Longbow
Meltdown
Monolith
Outcast
Perdition
Pitfall
Ragnarok
Ravine
Relay
Settler
Shatter
Skyline
Solace
Vertigo
Vortex
Wreckage
http://www.totalxbox.com/78078/be-upstanding-for-halo-the-master-chief-collections-full-map-list/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s

That really doesn't make any sense. The grunts are from Reach and the elites are from 4. Reach had the best designs of the Covenant members to date, 4 turned the Elites into looking like a bunch of inbred morons.....

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

Reach did have the best designs to date, aside from Halo 4's Zealot which I thought looked very menacing, bordering on an Arbiter-esc look.

Enough noise as made about Master Chief's weird looking helmet in the original anniversary that they quickly changed it, so it's not impossible that the fans could sway 343 back to Reach designs.  Elites and grunts had the WORST looks in Halo 4, I don't know why they're shoving them back down our throats.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed