Aliens: Bug Hunt - Aliens Anthology Announced!

Started by alienscollection.com, May 10, 2016, 08:21:28 PM

Author
Aliens: Bug Hunt - Aliens Anthology Announced! (Read 111,383 times)

SM

The one with teeny insects on the harvester.  Didn't really grab me that one, but I really liked the idea of a flat planet that was covered in crops and massive harvesters that endlessly drive across it.

Engineer

Quote from: SM on Jun 10, 2017, 10:03:00 PM
The one with teeny insects on the harvester.  Didn't really grab me that one, but I really liked the idea of a flat planet that was covered in crops and massive harvesters that endlessly drive across it.

Oh yea... I didn't care for that one so much lol

426Buddy

Quote from: Engineer on Jun 10, 2017, 10:08:45 PM

There hasnt been really any to care for lol

The one where frost and detrietch go to the bar had some cool stuff but so much of it didnt make sense to me.

Engineer

There were a couple stories I enjoyed. Mostly in the second half... the rest were either bad or had good ideas that were utilized poorly.

SM

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jun 10, 2017, 11:41:58 PM

The one where frost and detrietch go to the bar had some cool stuff but so much of it didnt make sense to me.

It wasn't that it didn't make sense for mine, just wasn't overly interesting.  It wasn't a bad story, just not a great one.  The bugs were derivative but suitably grotesque.  Main issue was that it forgot Dietrich was a medtech.

426Buddy

Quote from: SM on Jun 10, 2017, 11:49:43 PM
Quote from: 426Buddy on Jun 10, 2017, 11:41:58 PM

It wasn't that it didn't make sense for mine, just wasn't overly interesting.  It wasn't a bad story, just not a great one.  The bugs were derivative but suitably grotesque.  Main issue was that it forgot Dietrich was a medtech.

It bothered me that they both made their way to the bar in a storm without seeing or being attacked by these bugs. But when they get to the bar they are pretty much trapped within minutes while the rest of the patrons had already been trapped by the bugs. Then when the prooane tank blows up, the bugs just never swarm in and finish them off. I have to assume the blast either killed them all without a trace, scared them off even though it seemed like the bugs were everywhere when the patrons tried to make a run for the base, or just left them alone until they were rescued. Even then the bugs only seem to harrass this one bar and not anyone else apparently living in this small settlement or at the military base. Also no one has seen these bugs before even though i had gotten the impression that this place had been there a while. And to top it off the bugs were too much like the alien, laying babies in people and utilizing some kind of acid. None of it added up for me but it did have some nice tension and was grotesque like you said. But im probably over thinking this short story.

Engineer

I get what you're saying. It wasn't the worst story in the lot, but definitely not the best either.

Ultramorph

Decided to pick this back up today. Hugs to Die For was pretty cool, and the next one on Fury seems prett neat. About halfway through that one.

BryanThomasS

Wanted to make you all aware of this panel at San Diego Comic Con. We will have swag and possibly some giveaways.

Panel: Alien-Predator Extended Universe Panel, Sunday, 7/23/17, 3:45p.m. - 4:45p.m., Room: 5AB
Panel Description: 3:45-4:45 p.m. Alien-Predator Extended Universe: The Stories Continue--Editors-Authors Jonathan Maberry (Joe Ledger, Aliens: Bug Hunt) and Bryan Thomas Schmidt (Predator: If It Bleeds, The X-Files: Border Time) discuss the expanded universe literature past, present, and future, including their anthologies Aliens: Bug Hunt and Predator: If It Bleeds with author contributors and New York Times Bestsellers Alan Dean Foster, Scott Sigler, and Seanan McGuire. Q&A Moderated by Steve Saffel (Titan Books). Room 5AB

Hope to see some of you there.

Bryan Schmidt

Corporal Hicks

Wish I could be there! Is anyone planning on going?

If not, hopefully we'll get to see the panel online.

BountyHunter

I'm on the fifth story so far, and I've enjoyed them all. I love being me. No complaints here (except for the typos).

Ultramorph

Finally finished this, and it sure did get better at the end.

The story on Fury was really cool, and I always love world building so the angle with China was cool.

I was really surprised by Distressed because I found Sea of Sorrows disappointing.
Spoiler
The weird alien machine is exactly the kind of monster I imagine running into this particular universe. Anyone think the Rollins in this story is the same one, or a relative, as in Sea of Sorrows?
[close]

I really dug Dangerous Prey. The author did a good job elaborating on how the xenos communicate. I like the idea of their heads basically being a vocal tube.

Spite was cool, too, but I hope the Rage War era gets followed up on in a bigger way eventually.

SM

Spoiler
No.  Ditto Perkins.  I believe Moore hinted that Rollins in ...Sorrows maybe a synthetic in an interview Hicks did with him.  I think Moore just likes those names.
[close]

Ultramorph

Good point. It was a really cool story nonetheless.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SM on Jul 15, 2017, 11:46:18 PMI believe Moore hinted that Rollins in ...Sorrows maybe a synthetic in an interview Hicks did with him.

I bumped into him on another forum and he confirmed that she was very much a synthetic, the book just never outright says so.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed