Aliens: Bug Hunt - Aliens Anthology Announced!

Started by alienscollection.com, May 10, 2016, 08:21:28 PM

Author
Aliens: Bug Hunt - Aliens Anthology Announced! (Read 111,399 times)

Engineer

Quote from: SM on May 29, 2017, 11:28:08 PM
Considering it's all done in the first person, I can overlook the XX thing.
It just cracks me up! Lol

Hudson

Quote from: SM on May 29, 2017, 11:28:08 PM
Considering it's all done in the first person, I can overlook the XX thing.

I get your logic, but that's a free pass.

SM

Absolutely it is.  It's the same as in Sea of Sorrows when Decker muses on his grandfather telling him a ship crashing into Paris.  It's a mistake, but there is a way of overlooking it if one wishes, because it's one characters mistaken point of view, and not the omniscient narrator.

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: SM on May 30, 2017, 02:56:25 AM
Absolutely it is.  It's the same as in Sea of Sorrows when Decker muses on his grandfather telling him a ship crashing into Paris.  It's a mistake, but there is a way of overlooking it if one wishes, because it's one characters mistaken point of view, and not the omniscient narrator.

That's a fair way to look at it. I guess I just don't want to make concessions, not that there's anything wrong with that. I just prefer to hold professionals accountable, and when you get paid to write within a licensed property with a fanbase, you should at least have an entry-level familiarity with, and/or some level of respect for the property. So I probably take it too personally when I see blatant errors and chalk it up to a lack of respect for my beloved saga. Because I see James Moore's mistake in Sea of Sorrows as an indicator that he's never participated in fandom beyond watching the DVDs, I get annoyed.

It just frustrates me for Titan to have paid a number of writers who clearly don't have enough of an interest in Alien for there to be any heart at the center of their stories. Instead of interesting human conflicts in many of these, there are just references to Aliens by dropping in characters from the film, or set pieces usually involving some other type of monster. There is more to science-fiction writing than dumb tie-in references and 'action' scenes. There are plenty of qualified writers who would contribute to an anthology such as this for free. It would be awesome for them to do another anthology, but solicit submissions contest-style. I recently saw it done with CHUD, in fact.

Engineer

Quote from: Hudson on May 30, 2017, 03:18:07 AM

That's a fair way to look at it. I guess I just don't want to make concessions, not that there's anything wrong with that. I just prefer to hold professionals accountable, and when you get paid to write within a licensed property with a fanbase, you should at least have an entry-level familiarity with, and/or some level of respect for the property. So I probably take it too personally when I see blatant errors and chalk it up to a lack of respect for my beloved saga. Because I see James Moore's mistake in Sea of Sorrows as an indicator that he's never participated in fandom beyond watching the DVDs, I get annoyed.

It just frustrates me for Titan to have paid a number of writers who clearly don't have enough of an interest in Alien for there to be any heart at the center of their stories. Instead of interesting human conflicts in many of these, there are just references to Aliens by dropping in characters from the film, or set pieces usually involving some other type of monster. There is more to science-fiction writing than dumb tie-in references and 'action' scenes. There are plenty of qualified writers who would contribute to an anthology such as this for free. It would be awesome for them to do another anthology, but solicit submissions contest-style. I recently saw it done with CHUD, in fact.
Shoot! I'd write a short story for free! It wouldn't be any good cuz I'm not a writer, but I'd still do it! :-) lol

Hudson

Quote from: Engineer on May 30, 2017, 03:22:43 AM
Quote from: Hudson on May 30, 2017, 03:18:07 AM

Shoot! I'd write a short story for free! It wouldn't be any good cuz I'm not a writer, but I'd still do it! :-) lol

In contrast, many of the stories in this collection come off as if the writer's reaction to a request for contribution were something along the lines of, "Fine, I'll do it for [x amount]."

SM

For this sort of thing you need someone proof reading who knows the ins and outs, but can work with what the IP holder is trying to achieve.

I did some work for Fox proof reading some Defiance and Life & Death scripts, but really there was very little in those that needed to be changed (the ones I read anyway).  From memory my only suggestion that got up was changing the location of LV-44-40 in Defiance to Zeta Doradus (it was originally Alpha Doradus).

The Cruentus

Quote from: SM on May 30, 2017, 04:26:19 AM
For this sort of thing you need someone proof reading who knows the ins and outs, but can work with what the IP holder is trying to achieve.

I did some work for Fox proof reading some Defiance and Life & Death scripts, but really there was very little in those that needed to be changed (the ones I read anyway).  From memory my only suggestion that got up was changing the location of LV-44-40 in Defiance to Zeta Doradus (it was originally Alpha Doradus).

Well I would have said the Hollis incident would have needed to be changed... :P :laugh:

SM

Didn't see that script.

And probably wouldn't have had an issue with it.

Hudson

I still haven't read any of the new comics. How closely do they tie in with the films and rest of the new 'wave' of EU material?

SM

Fire & Stone ties into River of Pain, and Defiance references Alien Isolation, but other than that, they're their own thing.

Engineer

Quote from: SM on May 30, 2017, 08:35:19 PM
Fire & Stone ties into River of Pain, and Defiance references Alien Isolation, but other than that, they're their own thing.
Doesn't fire & stone also tie in with Prometheus?

SM

Yeah it does.  I misread Hudson's post.  It's a good deal of time after Prometheus and its resolutions to some of the films threads are a bit vague.

426Buddy

It has taken me a long time but im half way through the book, about to start dark mother. So far i actually regret buying this book, i hope everyone is right and the second half is better. So far i've only enjoyed reaper, everything else has been pretty bad.

Others have already said this but the inclusion of all these horrible monsters makes the film Aliens seem like just another day at the office.

Engineer

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jun 10, 2017, 09:12:19 PM
It has taken me a long time but im half way through the book, about to start dark mother. So far i actually regret buying this book, i hope everyone is right and the second half is better. So far i've only enjoyed reaper, everything else has been pretty bad.

Others have already said this but the inclusion of all these horrible monsters makes the film Aliens seem like just another day at the office.

Which one was reaper again?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed