Aliens: Bug Hunt - Aliens Anthology Announced!

Started by alienscollection.com, May 10, 2016, 08:21:28 PM

Author
Aliens: Bug Hunt - Aliens Anthology Announced! (Read 111,399 times)

SM

The film doesn't specify why all the Y chromos are there though.  Maybe felons are divvied up by chromosome abnormalities and there are XXY prisons etc.

The Cruentus

All I got to say is that its very strange future indeed if criminals are categorized and put in prisons specified for conditions that don't have an affect on whether or not one causes a crime.
I wonder if there is an asthma max prison somewhere out there that universe  :laugh:

Engineer

Engineer

It's an artifact of the 90s. At the time, double-y chromosome abnormalities where known and not well understood. One theory was that it may link to more aggressive behavior and criminal activity. The movie was attempting to be edgy and scientifically current. A few years later, it was discovered that double-y has no impact on a person. They are no more aggressive. And this is the first I'm hearing of them being taller! Anyway, who cares? I applaud the film for trying to be on top of things for the times. It's funny to me that the book bug hunt says double-x because that's a huge error, and would make them all female.

Hudson

QuoteThe film doesn't make that link.

I mean...isn't there an implicit link in the fact that it's emphasized not only by the opening superimposed text, but also by Andrews directly to Ripley in the context of concern for "her own personal safety?"

SM

SM

Well, there's murderers and rapists, so safety is obviously paramount.  There's also thieves who aren't automatically violent, and there's a doctor who was a former inmate.  The YY chromo link is suitably non-specific.

Hugs to Die For - Far and away best story so far.

Spoiler
Huggers are scary.  Neutered huggers is f**ked up.  Neutered huggers helping the fertile ones escape is really f**ked up.  Walls literally crawling with huggers is scary and really f**ked up.
[close]

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SM on May 23, 2017, 09:09:43 PMHugs to Die For - Far and away best story so far.

I really wish the initial setup for that hadn't struck me as so fan-ficcy because the actual post-escape stuff was excellent.

SM

The only very minor drawback for me was it was a little derivative in terms of
Spoiler
a woman rescuing a child - again
[close]

But everything else hit the mark.  Acid is dangerous - so much licensed stuff has the acid being a non-issue.  In the films small amounts cripple Hicks, Vasquez and Christie.

Spoiler
Amotz was burned something chronic by the end.
[close]

SM

Deep Black

Spoiler
Cliched out the wazoo in terms of vocabulary, but still enjoyable - until we get to the non-ending.
[close]

HuDaFuK

That was one of those examples of clichéd being done right. The dialogue in Aliens is pretty damn cliché when all is said and done, doesn't stop people loving the hell out of it.

I really did love the prose in that one.

SM

Major anti-climax though.

Spoiler
I really thought we'd get a look in the prison and see what had become of it.
[close]

HuDaFuK

Fair point. Ultimately wasn't something that bothered me though, for whatever reason.

SM

SM

Distressed

I think Moore is a decent writer, this story seemed a bit pointless though.

Dangerous Prey

Spoiler
Interesting.  Would've been more interesting if it told the story of Aliens from the creatures POV.
[close]

Hudson

Quote from: SM on May 26, 2017, 08:58:37 AM

Spoiler
[close]

The ending of that story was a build up to nothing. Could've been so much more.

Engineer

Quote from: Hudson on May 29, 2017, 10:51:54 PM
Quote from: SM on May 26, 2017, 08:58:37 AM

Spoiler
[close]

The ending of that story was a build up to nothing. Could've been so much more.
Yea this was one story that I was intrigued by most once I got started. Overlooking silly mistakes of course. But that ending left the whole story feeling pointless!

SM

Considering it's all done in the first person, I can overlook the XX thing.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed