Aliens: Bug Hunt - Aliens Anthology Announced!

Started by alienscollection.com, May 10, 2016, 08:21:28 PM

Author
Aliens: Bug Hunt - Aliens Anthology Announced! (Read 111,355 times)

Engineer

Quote from: Hudson on May 17, 2017, 05:06:42 AM
I would maybe vote for Double X to be a typo...but even that is pretty bad.

This book is mostly just a big mess. Very lazy job all around.

Oh my god the double X thing had me in f@&$ stitches! Lol

Hudson

Quote from: Engineer on May 17, 2017, 05:20:36 AM

I guess not everyone takes freshman biology...

(or even watches the f**king movie they're referencing)

SM

Spoilers!!!

HuDaFuK

Polished off Spite and the book as a whole last night. Lebbon's final entry was decent but not as good as the few preceding stories. I can't decided if I would've got more out of it if I'd already read the Rage War trilogy. Probably.

Overall I ended up quite enjoying the book, although it was undeniably uneven (typically to be expected with a short story collection). Generally, I thought the second half was far superior to the first. The stories I really loved were Reaper, Zero to Hero, Episode 22, Deep Background, Empty Nest, Deep Black, Distressed and Dangerous Prey; I guess 8 out of 15 isn't too bad. The only story I absolutely hated was Darkness Falls, which was total cack, although I found Blowback to be a bit of a slog as well. Everything else was just OK. A few of the stories would've been much better without one or two things dragging them down.

Could've done without all the rather obvious errors in the book (especially in Dark Mother, can't believe that slipped through) but otherwise I thought it was a decent effort. I'm not sure I'll ever read the whole thing again but I'm sure I'll come back to a few of the stories.

SM

Darkness Falls
Spoiler
Very derivative.  Woman with experience with the Aliens is dragged back into dealing with them again.  There's an arrogant and inexperienced commander, a cool and calm guy, children to be rescued, a suspicious android.  Often juvenile dialogue.  Needed editing (repeated sentences a paragraph apart, misspelling of 'flame' and 'fame').  I think this was the worst one so far.
[close]

HuDaFuK

Yeah, as I insinuated earlier, that one just brought back unpleasant memories of Eric Red's appalling Alien 3 script. By far the worst in the entire book if you ask me.

SM

What about Eric Red's script do you mean?  Been a long while since I read it.  I found it to be very much an Aliens pastiche.

HuDaFuK

The immature style, rather than the story.

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 22, 2017, 08:36:31 AM
Yeah, as I insinuated earlier, that one just brought back unpleasant memories of Eric Red's appalling Alien 3 script. By far the worst in the entire book if you ask me.

Lol Red's script is so bad. Least he even admits it lol. The zero G sex scene was hysterically bad

SM

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 22, 2017, 09:28:58 AM
The immature style, rather than the story.

Oh, right.

The Cruentus

Quote from: Hudson on May 17, 2017, 05:25:33 AM
Quote from: Engineer on May 17, 2017, 05:20:36 AM

I guess not everyone takes freshman biology...

(or even watches the f**king movie they're referencing)

Well the movie itself was incorrect, in real life, those with XYY syndrome are quite tall and may or may not have learning difficulties, they are not anymore violent or aggressive than anyone else.

SM

None of that suggests the film is incorrect.

The Cruentus

Pretty sure the inmates are not 7 foot tall, hell morse is quite short I believe.
The film is incorrect for having a XYY prison because such a syndrome does not cause violent behavior, its a myth.

SM

The film doesn't make that link.  Thieves aren't necessarily violent.

Are XYY men supposed to be 7" tall?  A quick Google indicates an average of 6'3".

Clemens is fairly tall, didn't commit a violent crime, and was in a YY facility.

The Cruentus

There should not be a XYY facility I am saying, crime has nothing do with the syndrome, violent or otherwise ergo there should not be a specific prison for for people with that syndome, they are no more likely to commit crime than anyone else, thus it should just be regular prison.

6 or 7ft, one of them anyway.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed