Aliens: Bug Hunt - Aliens Anthology Announced!

Started by alienscollection.com, May 10, 2016, 08:21:28 PM

Author
Aliens: Bug Hunt - Aliens Anthology Announced! (Read 111,369 times)

SM

Quote from: LordCassusSnow on May 13, 2016, 03:44:50 PM
It's quite possibly a typo. These newer books being released are not without their continuity errors. Fun fact, back in the 90's, astronomers thought they had discovered a ringed planet in the Zeta 2 riticuli system. Few years later they discovered their findings were false. But in the Weyland Industries timeline, a bit later, a ringed planet was discovered with three moons orbiting it! :o

In 2039.

Either way, Arcturus is a star; not a planet.  Maybe Actura orbits it, maybe it doesn't.  Doesn't really matter.  There are still Arcturians.

LordCassusSnow

What does Frost say? Acturian or Arcturian? Even then he might have possibly been mistaken as well... Back to the point though, Hicks, were the pics displayed the choice of the site or something thats come with this bit of info?

Perfect-Organism

Arcturian just rolls off the tongue better.  It's really a minor detail, but why aggravate fans?  Alien: Resurrection lost me at Fiorina 16..

SM

SM

Fiori 16.  And this isn't the same situation.

Perfect-Organism

Right.  I actually almost put in the blu-ray, but I figured you wouldn't let that go if I was wrong.   ;)  It's certainly not 161 is it?  That was a very LV-42 vibe.

PRJ_since1990

If we can branch out a little, I would like to see more in the way of Power Loaders armed to the teeth, not unlike the MAX suit in Berserker, in at least one story. 

SM

Earth War did something like that.

Perfect-Organism

I think Earth War did it in the least imaginative, and farcical way it could be done.  I rather liked the power-loader-type-thing from the later matrix films.  We've seen these types of exo-skeletons / mecs in literally all of Blomkamp's big films, so I would fully expect that he would be prone to doing it again.  It's all about the story though.  If it feels forced to have it there, it doesn't matter how good the design is.  It won't work..

LordCassusSnow

Biggest gripe for me is how every author of these new Aliens books is using LV to designate every single planet ever discovered. The LV stands for leviticus and if you search for leviticus 426 or 223( especially 223) then you find a hidden meaning from the designation. Albeit leviticus 426 might be a little hard to compare with events from Alien, it does have some significance with Ripley's crusade against the xenomorph and WY from a certain point of view. That aside, if this or these novels aren't about the marine outfit from Aliens, it'd be very strange for these authors to produce anything with the Aliens title with no actual xeno's in or mentioned in the story.

Perfect-Organism

That's the first time I heard of the Leviticus angle.  How do you know that?

The Alien Predator

I think I heard it mentioned before, maybe once by Ridley himself where he mentions the name behind LV-223 is because of "Leviticus 2:23" and how it fits with Prometheus' religious angles.

Maybe someone better informed than me could say more about that.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: LordCassusSnow on May 16, 2016, 12:43:36 AM
What does Frost say? Acturian or Arcturian? Even then he might have possibly been mistaken as well... Back to the point though, Hicks, were the pics displayed the choice of the site or something thats come with this bit of info?
Frost says Arcturian (it's also Arcturian in the script, although it's Weirzbowski who says it).

Although if we want to stray into "the character mis-spoke" territory, it opens up a massive can of worms (like how Lambert mis-spoke the size of LV-426, something the USCM Tech Manual fixed and then the WY Report, uh, un-fixed).
To be totally fair I personally don't have a problem with saying "the character mis-spoke". They're humans, they make mistakes, and sometimes they're even dishonest (whether they know it or not). We're not beholden to take every line of dialogue as Gospel Truth just because it was spoken in the movie.

SM

SM

Cameron invented the 'LV' thing 25 years before Prometheus. I believe any connection between LV and Leviticus is fan speculation.

And the size of LV-426 is drawn directly from the source material.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: PRJ_since1990 on May 16, 2016, 02:29:58 AM
If we can branch out a little, I would like to see more in the way of Power Loaders armed to the teeth, not unlike the MAX suit in Berserker, in at least one story.

Berserker and Tribes were great stories - especially the novelization of Berserker. I wouldn't mind seeing a return of that kind of technology. Hell, even if it was just an exo-suit ala AvP2 or Extinction is fine by me.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on May 16, 2016, 05:35:24 AM
Cameron invented the 'LV' thing 25 years before Prometheus. I believe any connection between LV and Leviticus is fan speculation.

And the size of LV-426 is drawn directly from the source material.
By "the source material" you mean "a line of dialogue which doesn't make sense if given 5 minutes of thought, spoken by a human being who is fallible and capable of mis-speaking just like Gediman does". The same "source material" (the films 'Alien' and 'Aliens') show Lambert's number to be wrong just based on the curvature of the horizon and the apparent gravity of the planet as people walk around on it.

There's a reason why the CMTM changed the size, and it's because the size given in 'Alien' doesn't make sense and was written by someone without a scientific background who didn't think it would need to hold up to scientific scrutiny, and it happens to be something easily fixed by moving the decimal place one spot to the right. It's unfortunate that the WY Report didn't apply the same level of critical thought (and goofed up the size of LV-223, to boot).

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed