Last Movie You Watched

Started by Terx2, Dec 05, 2012, 05:12:31 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched (Read 842,885 times)

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 19, 2020, 01:29:19 AM
I think it was actually Tron: Legacy's tepid reception that halted The Black Hole remake, not Tomorrowland. Koskinski was even going to direct it.

Did some looking into it and Spaihts was supposed to be writing. I'm sure the cancellation broke your heart. ;)

The Death of Stalin

Not everything in this completely works, but overall it was a very good dark comedy.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I guess I have to give Spaihts some credit. The "Bargain" sequence in Doctor Strange is completely unchanged from his draft of the script and I pretty unabashedly love that. :D

Plus... I need Dune to be good....... Don't hurt me, Spaihts......

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

I've liked a few of Spaihts' unproduced works. His Dark Universe Van Helsing script was surprisingly decent.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Please be good Dune......

SM

SM

Quote from: Prez on Aug 19, 2020, 03:28:37 AM
Quote from: SiL on Aug 18, 2020, 11:47:12 PM
Quote from: Prez on Aug 18, 2020, 11:44:27 PM
And for some damn reason not available in BluRay in Australia.
I was about to argue then realised I rented it off Google play. Is it really only on DVD? That's awful. The only good thing about the film is the visuals.

Yep. I don't know why. I've asked the guys at the Digital Bits to see why.

Quote from: SM on Aug 19, 2020, 12:17:28 AM
The Black Hole - Every time I watch this I'm convinced there's a good movie in there somewhere.  There's a bunch of religious allusions in the earlier parts of the film that tie in to the ending that I'd never noticed.  And the parallel between how Maximillian kills Anthony Perkins and how Vincent kills Maximillian.

The music is cool, but the tempo is all wrong for the action shoot-out scenes.  The matte paintings are often really good too - until your eye is drawn to where the set stops and painting begins and it's... yikes.  I wonder if they fixed this for Blu-ray.  Might have a look on Disney+ and see what it looks like.

Someone needs to redo this and link madness to what we actually know about black holes - radiation, gravity distorting time etc.

I love this film. Remember seeing it in the cinema. Loved the music, the visuals and man like every other kid would draw endless pictures of Vincent, Old Bob and Maximillian!!

The Cygnus is beautifully realised.
I do agree about the issues in the film though.

The music by John Barry is iconic. One of those big scores from my young childhood.

The ship design, models and effects photography are generally top shelf.

Darwinsgirl

Darwinsgirl

Agrees John Barry's music is Iconic. I've never "The Black Hole" I will look for it.

ALIEN the dvd from "The Legacy" box set. It's nostalgia. I remember how excited I was getting it. :)

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Rope

Not Hitchcock's finest, but a solid exercise in suspense with some great camerawork.

SM

SM

Been making my way through a stack of cool old Shaw Brothers martial arts/ kung fu flicks from the late 60s to late 70s on Amazon Prime.

Killer Clans was the latest but I'm starting to lose track...

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Alexander: The Ultimate Cut.

QuoteWhile "Alexander: The Ultimate Cut" may still have some problems that no amount of reediting or restructuring can overcome, it is now an incontestably better work than it once was and deserves to be considered as the proper version of the film in the way that the full length "Heaven's Gate" is now regarded after its years in the cinematic wilderness.

https://www.rogerebert.com/streaming/a-reappraisal-of-oliver-stones-alexander-the-ultimate-cut

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I lost track of how many different cuts they did of that.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

There was the Theatrical Cut, the Director's Cut, the Final Cut and then the Ultimate Cut.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Hmm. Can't remember which cut I watched...

Kradan

Kradan

Wonder Woman

Very surprised how much I enjoyed it. I knew it was one of the better out of DC bunch but I didn't expected it being that good. Not masterpiece by any means but definetly one I would love to re-watch

Spoiler
Unsurprisingly, the whole movie is carried by the main lead. I really enjoyed Gal Gadot in the role as naive and kinda childish in her "black and white" view of the world. And I haven't felt that movie tried to shove her "badassery" down my throat. These moments were used sparingly and far in between and I cheered and "f**k yeah"-ed when they occured

The rest of the cast was great too. Even though Chris Pine's character kinda pushes the movie into "strong woman but only with a man holding her back" teritory but it wasn't full-on romance and didn't distract from the main plot. I was glad to see Ewen Bremner - I liked him in AvP and I liked him here.

I dug the setting and historical period. I think movie did a good job showing "horrors of war" - it didn't shy from them but didn't go over-the-top with them either. I think it's one of the movie's main positives - it was smart and calculative with using most of its elements which made none of them feeling forced. Though, I still cringed at some moments. I understand it's set at the beginning of XX century but do you really need to put all of these fat moustached men with their mean "Ugh, women" comments ? It was comical and not necessarily in a good way

The movie actually made good use of its "super-weapon" - introduction scene for "gas" was pretty scary and unsettling

My only real complaint is final fight and to be more precise - its unnecessarity. Honestly, I think movie could've done better without Ares being involved at all. General What-his-name-dorf was a good villain for an origins story. I mean, the whole point of the movie is Diana realising that people can be evil on their own without some super-god. And still we have that exact god only for her to fight someone in the end. And I saw twist coming maybe half-way through. It was generic and plain "meh". And Diana observed the whole villaige dying BUT its death of a one man that unleashed her full power ? Yawn.

Fortunately, it didn't really influence the whole experience, It was a good comic-book movie and it was just a good movie. Fin
[close]

SiL

SiL

Spoiler
God that ending is so stupid.

"Oh no, I killed the guy and nothing happened!"
"See?! You can't end war by just killing one person, people actually have a capacity for evil and indifference and it's more complicated than --"
"Wait, no, I just realised I killed the wrong guy -- now we're good!"

Way to almost make a point, movie.
[close]

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I wanted to badly to like Wonder Woman, and there were things about it that I honestly did, but overall, it just really kept falling apart as it went along. :-\

A lot of the issues I had with it, especially in the third act, felt very similar to the issues I have with Zack Snyder movies. And with him not guiding the tone and style of DC Universe anymore, I have higher hopes that the sequel might succeed where the first one fell flat for me.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed