Last Movie You Watched

Started by Terx2, Dec 05, 2012, 05:12:31 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched (Read 842,562 times)

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

The Neon Demon
Refn really letting his Argento love shine through in some of the visuals. The cast work wonders, even with very little story to work with.

The Piper
Great Korean Horror based on the Pied Piper of Hamlin

Prez

Prez

Quote from: Stitch on May 02, 2020, 10:56:52 PM
Just watched The Boat on Amazon Prime. Considering it's one guy stuck on a boat for 90 minutes, it's surprisingly good. Tense and taut.

That's the Maltese shot film you're talking about?

Watched half of the Abyss Special Edition tonight for the first time in years. Man if one film could use a 4K restoration it's this one. Beautiful looking film but my DVD quality looks it's age nowadays on my 4K TV. Aware there were some confirmations this was being worked on in May last year (UPDATE: found out HBO streamed the film in HD late last year and this was taken from the work in progress 4k transfer).

Quote from: Prez on Apr 30, 2020, 01:02:02 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 30, 2020, 12:15:16 PM
:laugh: I play that game every time too.

Baffling. The Carpenter effect.

Underwater

Despite finding Kristen Stewart's performance somewhat distracting I actually enjoyed this one. Visually the effects and sets were top notch. The action claustrophobic and the 'big bad' actually very cool. A little more exposition would've been nice but this one grabs you by the throat within minutes of starting.

The Alien riffs are non too subtle. We've got a Ripley, Dallas, Lambert and Hudson all in here.

I kept thinking an Alien film in this setting would be ace - we sought of got a bit of it in the Fast Track to Heaven graphic novel.

Nice little easter egg nod to Alien in Underwater. The captain is wearing a Weyland Yutani branded arm sling if you look closely.

https://twitter.com/superswift/status/1254499218577747969?s=20

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Faintheart
An enjoyable and okay British Comedy. Made with the help of Myspace back in the day lol

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Sleuth (1972)

One of the best films of its kind. Avoid the remake.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Steve Jobs (2015)

So David and Daniels had a kid. Huh.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: KiramidHead on May 09, 2020, 04:24:44 AM
Steve Jobs (2015)

So David and Daniels had a kid. Huh.

I bet David quit his job as Dr. Frankenstein to start a new life with Daniels. But before that, he had to enter Daniels dreams to erase some memories, ala DiCaprio.

Kradan

Kradan

Makes sense

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Moneytalks (1997)
Back during Charlie Sheen's leading action man days. He works well with Chris Tucker, but that final action sequence does feel out of place

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Jobs (2013)

Dude, Where's My Mac?

Serviceable enough but nothing great.

kwisatz

kwisatz

Harakiri (1962)

As great as I remembered. Think it's on a par with Seven Samurai for me.

LastSonofKrypton

LastSonofKrypton

IT Chapter One

A resounding meh.  It isn't scary at all, Pennywise just isn't menacing in any way.  Worst of all, the characters aren't fleshed out enough, the film feels like it is missing twenty minutes of development.  Had I cared about the characters more, I might have found it a little more scary, but everything done in the movie has been done before.  Shame, the kid actors were all excellent in their roles.

Dachande

Dachande

Quote from: LastSonofKrypton on May 10, 2020, 07:18:29 PM
IT Chapter One

A resounding meh.  It isn't scary at all, Pennywise just isn't menacing in any way.  Worst of all, the characters aren't fleshed out enough, the film feels like it is missing twenty minutes of development.  Had I cared about the characters more, I might have found it a little more scary, but everything done in the movie has been done before.  Shame, the kid actors were all excellent in their roles.

Watched this too, and completely agree. Although i think you kind of have to watch chapter 2 as well to assess the whole package. I don't think it works as 2 self contained films quite as well as something like LoTR for example

LastSonofKrypton

LastSonofKrypton

Quote from: Dachande on May 10, 2020, 07:53:32 PM
Quote from: LastSonofKrypton on May 10, 2020, 07:18:29 PM
IT Chapter One

Watched this too, and completely agree. Although i think you kind of have to watch chapter 2 as well to assess the whole package. I don't think it works as 2 self contained films quite as well as something like LoTR for example

Yeah, I plan too.  IT is one of my all time favourite books, but cutting it down to just over two hours wasn't enough time to flesh out the characters as well as the book did.  It could have been 2 and a half to three hours long.  But I'm guessing studios didn't want it to be longer because that means less viewing time.  It's a shame because Stephen King's greatest strength is his ability to write believable, three dimensional characters and the movie didn't do them justice, which sucked because the kids were all perfectly cast. 

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Although uneven, me prefers 2 over 1.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I thought the first one was pretty tedious and left no impact on me. I also thought the first one was better than the second.

Haven't read the book. I did see the miniseries just once, and while I liked it more than the films, even that didn't do much for me.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed