Last Movie You Watched

Started by Terx2, Dec 05, 2012, 05:12:31 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched (Read 842,487 times)

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 03, 2018, 01:12:45 PM
Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Apr 03, 2018, 12:26:26 PMCliffhanger
Really want to see the more violent workprint of this

The MPAA f*cking hated Stallone in the 80s and 90s lol.

I know. Tango and Cash (Although that was Stallone as well lol), Judge Dredd, Demolition Man, Cobra. It just goes on

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Apr 04, 2018, 10:50:52 AM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 03, 2018, 01:12:45 PM
Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Apr 03, 2018, 12:26:26 PMCliffhanger
Really want to see the more violent workprint of this

The MPAA f*cking hated Stallone in the 80s and 90s lol.

I know. Tango and Cash (Although that was Stallone as well lol), Judge Dredd, Demolition Man, Cobra. It just goes on

And then there was Expendables 3...which was what? PG 13?  :laugh: They should have stuck with R rating.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

That was a little different. That was always meant to be PG-13, it wasn't cut to the rating after the fact. In fact I think the first two of those were actually the opposite situation - they were planned to be PG-13 films, but they R'ed them up in post with all the blood and dismemberment, which is why all of that stuff is conspicuously CGI. I definitely remember hearing that about the first, not so sure about the second.

But a ton of Stallone's 80s and 90s film were hacked to bits after filming to lower the rating. It often wasn't even subtly done - for instance, there's that really odd bit in Judge Dredd where the unfinished clones start waking up, one of them glares threateningly at Dredd and he racks his pump gun... and then it suddenly cuts to the place starting to explode, Dredd's chasing Rico around upstairs and the clones are never mentioned again. It was obvious set-up for a confrontation that then got excised lol. Demolition Man's terrible too - the old black cop simply disappears from the film because a scene where he was killed by Snipes at the end of the second act got taken out. Several of Snipes' henchmen also vanish, most obviously Predator's Jesse Ventura.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Oh I know the 3rd film was meant to be pg, I meant that they should have stuck to the rating from the previous films.

Yeah, a lot of movies get hacked and have all sorts of continuity errors due to editing for rating.

You know what? the horror channel annoys me immensely with edited movies during the day, its the horror channel!! its not meant for kids! so why edit it!  :P

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 04, 2018, 08:17:46 AM
Quote from: KiramidHead on Apr 04, 2018, 02:01:26 AMUm, what just happened? :laugh: Same writer as Wired, too. :laugh:

I really want to see that. Can you offer anything more akin to a critical recommendation? :laugh:

Uh, there are aliens (all named John), Lithgow is the bad guy, Goldblum is a cowboy brain surgeon, there's a bizarre identical twin subplot that keeps cropping up, Peter Weller is giving  a surprisingly laid back performance compared to the sea of ham around him... that help?

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

La Herencia Valdemar aka The Valdemar Legacy, part 1 and 2
Two part Spanish mystery-horror inspired by works of Lovecraft.
Bit slow and certainly not perfect but more than decent.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 04, 2018, 11:18:20 AM
That was a little different. That was always meant to be PG-13, it wasn't cut to the rating after the fact. In fact I think the first two of those were actually the opposite situation - they were planned to be PG-13 films, but they R'ed them up in post with all the blood and dismemberment, which is why all of that stuff is conspicuously CGI. I definitely remember hearing that about the first, not so sure about the second.

But a ton of Stallone's 80s and 90s film were hacked to bits after filming to lower the rating. It often wasn't even subtly done - for instance, there's that really odd bit in Judge Dredd where the unfinished clones start waking up, one of them glares threateningly at Dredd and he racks his pump gun... and then it suddenly cuts to the place starting to explode, Dredd's chasing Rico around upstairs and the clones are never mentioned again. It was obvious set-up for a confrontation that then got excised lol. Demolition Man's terrible too - the old black cop simply disappears from the film because a scene where he was killed by Snipes at the end of the second act got taken out. Several of Snipes' henchmen also vanish, most obviously Predator's Jesse Ventura.

And Cobra has a lot of its violence cut and losses a whole subplot

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

I believe Stallone himself cut down Cobra, to get a few extra screenings in before Top Gun released.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Apr 05, 2018, 11:17:11 AMAnd Cobra has a lot of its violence cut and losses a whole subplot

There's disappearing henchmen in that too - three guys attack Stallone outside his apartment, but you only ever see him dispatch two of them lol.

Quote from: KiramidHead on Apr 05, 2018, 11:37:11 AMI believe Stallone himself cut down Cobra, to get a few extra screenings in before Top Gun released.

I didn't know that. At least some of the edits had to MPAA-enforced though, because supposedly a lot of violence was trimmed throughout.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 05, 2018, 12:22:04 PM
Quote from: KiramidHead on Apr 05, 2018, 11:37:11 AMI believe Stallone himself cut down Cobra, to get a few extra screenings in before Top Gun released.

I didn't know that. At least some of the edits had to MPAA-enforced though, because supposedly a lot of violence was trimmed throughout.

I think it was a combination of the two. I've read that one of the producers wanted the violence cut down as well. Ironically, he was the same guy who had Wes Craven dd gore scenes into Deadly Friend, which was conceived as a PG movie initially.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: KiramidHead on Apr 05, 2018, 08:34:20 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 05, 2018, 12:22:04 PM

I think it was a combination of the two. I've read that one of the producers wanted the violence cut down as well. Ironically, he was the same guy who had Wes Craven dd gore scenes into Deadly Friend, which was conceived as a PG movie initially.

Continues the reasoning that some Producers don't have a f***ing clue what they are doing

Universal Soldier: The Return
I'd never watched this close to after watching the first one before and have only now realised how close it is in style to the first one. Just 90's upped. Sure theres more comedy, but its still a good film. Michael Jai White deserved to be more well known

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Apr 06, 2018, 11:04:02 AM

I'd never watched this close to after watching the first one before and have only now realised how close it is in style to the first one. Just 90's upped. Sure theres more comedy, but its still a good film. Michael Jai White deserved to be more well known

That's the second one, right? Never saw it.
Did see part 3 some time ago. Bit average but still alright.
Part 4 was quite good from what I remember.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Apr 06, 2018, 10:04:31 PM
Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Apr 06, 2018, 11:04:02 AM

That's the second one, right? Never saw it.
Did see part 3 some time ago. Bit average but still alright.
Part 4 was quite good from what I remember.

Well this is where it gets funny.

Yes The Return is meant to be seen as the second film, but wasn't the first attempt at a sequel. There were two or TV movies that followed on from the first film in 98. They were meant to be back door pilots.

The Return then happened, which Ignored the TV Movies but failed at the box office.

Then they did Regeneration and Day of Reckoning, which ignored The Return and The TV Movies.

So its got three different timelines lol

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

That's almost as many timelines as Highlander.

Goldfinger

Damn it Felix, you can get KFC later.

Scorpio

Scorpio

What happened to Monday? (2017) - good movie, especially if you are fan of Noomi Rapace

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed