Last Movie You Watched

Started by Terx2, Dec 05, 2012, 05:12:31 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched (Read 842,592 times)

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Transformers: Age of Extinction

This one starts out well enough, and has a lot of good things in it, but goes on for easily an hour too long, and I just wanted the damn thing to end by the time it hit two hours and ten minutes.

Stillmatic

Stillmatic

Quote from: Prez on Jun 24, 2017, 12:59:00 PM
The Thing (1982). If it wasn't for Alien then Carpenter's creepy take on Campbell's Who Goes there would be my number 1 all time favourite scifi horror film.

Morricone's opening score is still close to my all time favourite piece of music in a film - it's so bloody haunting.
The whole film has such a feeling of dread and foreboding that is unmatched in my book. The FX are legendary and the cast are superb.
It still is a very uncomfortable film to watch ... and I totally love it.

This film for me is Carpenter's best - Halloween, Big Trouble in Little China and Escape from New York the other 3 that follow close.

Makes me thing I would've loved to have seen Carpenter have a crack at an Alien film with Kurt Russell on board. Would've have a lot of synth in the soundtrack mind ;-)

Even in the opening minutes the film makes little sense.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Left Behind
Not one of Nic Cage's worst films, but it does feel like two films were mashed together. And then it feels like a pilot for a TV show with the way it ends

Russ

Russ

The Hateful 8. I clearly just don't get Tarntino. I really wanted to like it. I didn't hate it (see what I did there) but I just thought it was mean-spirited and largely pointless. I guess that WAS the point.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Ronin

People always talk about Bullitt and The French Connection, and while those films were certainly revolutionary with what they did, for me this has always been the benchmark for cinematic car chases. In fact, it doesn't just have one utterly excellent chase sequence, it has two (although the epic one around Paris towards the end is definitely the more famous of the pair).

It's also just a great, twisty thriller - nothing you know at the beginning of the film is true by the time you get to the end, and you only learn what's really going on in the final ten minutes. The plot isn't terribly groundbreaking, but I love the way it's presented - very little is clearly spelt out, and with all the double-crossing and mistrust going on, you often have to really pay attention and infer from the dialogue what people are really saying. The characters may be clichés to a large degree but they all stand out and stars Robert De Niro and Jean Reno, two of my favourite actors, are both particularly great in their roles.

It's a shame this film kinda sank without a trace when it was released, because it's a really excellent flick, one of my all-time favourites. It's rare to find a film that works so well as both a smart spy thriller and an exhilarating action movie.

Oh yeah, also...
Spoiler
Sean Bean lives! ;D
[close]

Prez

Prez

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jun 28, 2017, 08:46:15 AM
Ronin

People always talk about Bullitt and The French Connection, and while those films were certainly revolutionary with what they did, for me this has always been the benchmark for cinematic car chases. In fact, it doesn't just have one utterly excellent chase sequence, it has two (although the epic one around Paris towards the end is definitely the more famous of the pair).

It's also just a great, twisty thriller - nothing you know at the beginning of the film is true by the time you get to the end, and you only learn what's really going on in the final ten minutes. The plot isn't terribly groundbreaking, but I love the way it's presented - very little is clearly spelt out, and with all the double-crossing and mistrust going on, you often have to really pay attention and infer from the dialogue what people are really saying. The characters may be clichés to a large degree but they all stand out and stars Robert De Niro and Jean Reno, two of my favourite actors, are both particularly great in their roles.

It's a shame this film kinda sank without a trace when it was released, because it's a really excellent flick, one of my all-time favourites. It's rare to find a film that works so well as both a smart spy thriller and an exhilarating action movie.

Oh yeah, also...
Spoiler
Sean Bean lives! ;D
[close]

Great film. Agreed - 2 great car chases.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Transformers: The Last Knight

What the hell did I just watch? Nothing in this movie followed anything else that happened in it, let alone the other movies.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

The Relic
Love this film, forgot how dark the lighting is, but that wasn't the directors fault. Unlike AVPR

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword

This wasn't as bad as I expected, but not particularly good, either. Charlie Hunnam and Jude Law are both pretty damn good, and the score is fantastic. The rest of the film is a hugely mixed bag, running the gamut from grim and gritty to insane and over the top. How the sword gets in the stone here is an example of the latter, and I have zero clue what the hell Ritchie and Wigram were smoking when they came up with that one. The supporting cast is either awful or is given nothing to work with, and scenes are very obviously cut out. The CGI is downright embarrassing for a big studio film. I've seen mid-budget video games with more impressive effects. The film also has more montages than f**king Rocky IV, if you can believe that. :laugh:

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Thor
The first time I'd actually seen this since it was at the cinema. Really enjoyed it

Lethal Weapon 3
Underrated third film in the series, bit toned down from the first two but it plays up to that in places

Transformers: The Last Knight
Um okay, I have to say I was pretty bored with this until the final battle. This film kept no track of if characters were meant to be alive or not. Autobots would appear and disappear with no rhyme or reason. I spent most of it thinking of ways to retcon the hell out of it to fit it in with what happened previously. I think I was pretty successful apart from a couple of bits lol

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Jul 03, 2017, 11:50:08 AMLethal Weapon 3
Underrated third film in the series, bit toned down from the first two but it plays up to that in places

I'd say that's the weakest of the four, but it's still an amazing film. The opening scene is probably one of the funniest things they ever did. Above all, no matter how mediocre anything else might get, Gibson and Glover's winning chemistry elevates it to something special.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

The Poughkeepsie Tapes

This was a genuinely disturbing film, and made great use of the found footage format. The only downside is that some of the talking heads are pretty bad actors. It's too bad you can't get this legitimately, for reasons that have never been explained. I lean towards the distributors being pussies, myself.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 03, 2017, 12:35:17 PM
Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Jul 03, 2017, 11:50:08 AMLethal Weapon 3

I'd say that's the weakest of the four, but it's still an amazing film. The opening scene is probably one of the funniest things they ever did. Above all, no matter how mediocre anything else might get, Gibson and Glover's winning chemistry elevates it to something special.

Very true. Its still alot of fun :) Also the Elton John song at the end and the Sting song at the start are brilliant :)

Quote from: KiramidHead on Jul 03, 2017, 03:20:24 PM
The Poughkeepsie Tapes

This was a genuinely disturbing film, and made great use of the found footage format. The only downside is that some of the talking heads are pretty bad actors. It's too bad you can't get this legitimately, for reasons that have never been explained. I lean towards the distributors being pussies, myself.

is it on Youtube?

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Jul 03, 2017, 05:18:47 PM

The Poughkeepsie Tapes

is it on Youtube?

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: KiramidHead on Jul 03, 2017, 05:21:57 PM
Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Jul 03, 2017, 05:18:47 PM

The Poughkeepsie Tapes

is it on Youtube?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHLnQAlnzkU

Nice one :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed