Short Story

Started by Ishallsmitethee, Jun 20, 2007, 04:24:29 AM

Author
Short Story (Read 2,480 times)

Ishallsmitethee

Ishallsmitethee

I wrote this short story for a creative writing class when I went to a private school. It's kinda disturbing (I think I got a few points off because of that). Its about a brother and a sister who get transported to another demension where human beings are slaughtered like cattle as a food source. I don't know why I did it in first person, I don't normally write that way, but it seemd to fit for this story. It was written well over a year ago, and its probably not my best work, but I thik its pretty good. And the character is not based on me. Enjoy   ;)

Quadrant of the Unknown Horror

By Lucas Coseo

Hello, my name is Greg Timothy, and this is my story. My story of how I found something that changed my life. Forever.

It was late June near Atlanta, Georgia in the year 1996. I was fifteen years old then, and I was happy that school had finally let out. I went outside and looked at the bright blue sky and the fresh green grass growing on the ground. The fresh scent of flowers filled the air, bees buzzed around and butterflies flew threw the air. It was a nice day, one of the nicest days of the month around here. That particular day I was sitting outside playing my guitar.

My sister, Alex, walked outside just then. Man, she annoyed the heck out of me! I can't stand her, but she's my sister, so I had to deal with her.

"Hey big brother!" she said walking over to me.

"What do you want with me, Alex?" I said, "Can't you see I'm busy?"

"I just wanted to see my big brother," she said, grasping her doll.

I sighed and put down my guitar. She then proceeded to hug me, which I just couldn't stand, but I let her do it anyway.

When she was done, I got up. "I'm going down to the swamp," I said, picking up my guitar, "I guess you can come, if you want,"

My sister's smile went away. "You know mom says we can't go there," she said, "Remember? Mom said that people who have been going there have been disappearing,"

"Heh," I said, "forget that. I'm old enough to go where I want. You can stay here if you want to be a good little child,"

I started put my guitar in its case and headed for the swamp. My sister hesitated, looked around, and then ran to catch up with me.

We headed down through the forest. The twigs snapped and the leaves crunched under our feet and we walked through the woods. The ground got damper as we moved farther through the woodland, meaning they were coming closer to the swamp.

After trudging through the wet marshlands, we finally came to the actual swamp. The muddy body of water looked like it went on for miles, and it probably did.

Willow trees grew by the swamp's edges and dead, branchless trees and logs stuck up from the swamp's waters.

I looked around and sat down, took my guitar out of its case, and played a little. My sister paced around for a few minutes, then sat down next to me and said "I'm bored!"

"You shouldn't have come then!" I blared, finally losing my cool, "All you do is annoy me to death! Why did you even come in the first place? Leave me alone!"

My sister just looked at me for about ten seconds, then started to cry softly, then started to sob and weep uncontrollably.

I instantly regretted what I had said, and I went over to my sister to apologize to her. When I came close to her, she ran off along the edge of the swamp. Knowing it was dangerous, being that gators lived in the swamp, I ran after her.

After running for about ten minutes searching for my little sister, I finally found her curled up by a large willow tree. I went over to her and hugged her, telling her I was very sorry and that I would try not to get upset at her as often.

She then jumped up and hugged me. This time I accepted it and hugged her back.

"I love you, brother!" she said.

"I love you too, sis," I said.

Then I looked at the bark of the tree and noticed something, something strange. Some sort of strange symbol seemed to be etched into the side of the tree. The symbol looked like a circle inside the outline of a pentagon, with two swords crossed over each other inside the circle.

"That's weird," I said, and I touched the strange mark. After my finger felt the marking, a crow cawed and flew from its perch. Then the symbol started to glow a bright red hue.

"What the—," I said, seeing the symbol glow. Then a bright red light flashed and I blacked out.

I opened my eyes. My vision was blurry. I heard voices around me, and they weren't ones that I recognized. In fact, they didn't even sound human. They sounded like a series of beeps and clicks, but I couldn't tell for sure.

I tried to move, but I couldn't. I was strapped to something! I struggled but still couldn't move, all the time the inhuman voices chattered around me. I was scared; I didn't know what was happening!

My vision started to clear, and I finally saw clearly what was around me. I was strapped to a metal table with what looked like living, organic rope. I was in some sort of chamber, and the walls looked like they were made of some sort of strange, alien material I had never seen before. Floating above me was the strangest thing I had ever seen in my life. Half of it looked sort of like a hovering mechanical bird, but the other half was the upper torso of a humanoid creature with a huge eye stalk instead of a head.

The floating cyborg creature cocked its eye stalk to the side and let out a few mechanical-sounding chirps. Then a mechanical arm protruding from the robot part of the creature turned towards me. Sweat ran down my head as it came closer.

A blade extended from one of the mechanical fingers, and I screamed as the blade came closer to my stomach. I squirmed as the blade cut through my shirt, exposing my bare chest. Then the blade started to poke my chest. I started to cry, the first time I had since I was ten. The blade went into my flesh a few centimeters, drawing blood.

Suddenly the creature stopped poking me. The organic ropes went away. I suddenly felt myself being lifted up, by some sort of gravity lift or something, and was dropped onto some sort of conveyer belt. I was too weak to resist.

The creature drifted over and tied me down to the conveyer belt with what looked like human intestines. I gagged when I saw what they were.

Then the wall in front of me opened up. The conveyer belt started to move. I was able to lift my head and see thousands of other humans on the conveyer belt in front of me. The next room we went into will always leave horrible images and nightmares in my head.

It was the human slaughterhouse.

It was a huge room; it looked like it was a few miles long and hundreds of feet tall. The walls were made out of a gray metal of an unknown alien alloy. But you could only see a little gray because the walls were mostly covered in blood. Above the conveyer belt, hanging from giant meat hooks, were the skinned carcasses of hundreds of thousands of human beings. On the floor were twelve-foot tall metal tubs, used to hold unwanted body parts and organs, such as human heads, brains, other discarded internal organs, and bones. That's when I fainted. 

I awoke, hanging from my feet from a moving rope. I looked to the side to see where the rope was leading to. It was going into another room. It was the cutting room.

I panicked. Then I watched as a huge robot, about fifteen feet tall with an insect-like head and covered with a bunch of bizarre mechanical protrusions and devices, seemed to inspect the person ahead of me. I couldn't see it clearly, I was looking from the corner of my eye, but it seemed that this strange robot burned something onto the person, for I heard a hiss and heard the unfortunate person's scream of pain. 

Then it was my turn. I watched as the hideous robot inspected me. Red lasers from the robot's sensor-like eyes ran up and down my body as it seemed to scan me. Then it ripped off my already torn open shirt and a mechanical arm extended from the machine's body. The arm's hand had a bunch of numbers on it. It was glowing red hot.

It pressed its robot hand against my chest. I screamed as the hot burning pain pulsed through my already aching body.

After almost five minutes, which seemed like an eternity, the hand jerked away. The rope started moving again.

I looked at my chest. The robot had branded me. This is what was burnt onto my chest:

NUMBER 7852419

I was going to die. My life started to flash before my eyes. They were memories of my early childhood; my mom, my dad, my sister being born, my first Christmas, preschool. I started to cry again.

Suddenly I heard a tearing sound. I looked up. The rope that was holding me was beginning to snap.

The rope broke. I, along with many other people, feel to the ground. What a stroke of luck, I was free!

I had to find Alex.

I ran down the rows of humans, looking for my little sister. That's when I saw how damn huge the place was.

There must have been at least thirty-eight floors in this massive building. Each floor had rows of humans ready for processing. I threw up at the thought.

I buried my face in my hands. I was never going to find my sister. And even if I did find her, how horrible would it be for such a young girl to have to go through life with memories of this place! She'll be scarred for life.

Then I heard a familiar sound. It was my sister crying.

I ran through the rows of humans, looking for my little sister.

After a while I found her. She was beat up with her clothes torn, hanging from a different rack then I was.

I tried to think of a way to get her down. Then I remembered I still had my jackknife in my pocket. I jumped up, trying to cut the rope. I eventually succeeded, and my sister fell into my arms.

"G-G-Greg," my sister said weakly, "I'm scared,"

"So am I," I replied, "but we'll find a way out. You'll see,"

Though I wasn't quite sure that was the truth. I thought for a while. There had to be a way out of this hellhole. I thought about how I got here in the first place. I didn't remember much, just a tree and a glowing symbol.

Then I realized it. The symbol, that had to be it! Those symbols must be used to teleport between this world and our world! I knew that had to be it.

I had to find another one of the symbols. But where? Where would one be?

"Follow me," I told my sister, "I know how we might be able to get out of here,"

We ran around the facility, trying not the look at the grisly sights that hung just feet above our heads. We searched the walls and the floors.

I covered my sister's eyes when we came to the human processing center. I cannot begin to describe the horrors we witnessed there; human corpses being diced and shredded, mashed and squished, horrors too terrible to describe in detail.

Suddenly we heard an alarm. It rang throughout the facility. We ran and hid behind a piece of metal.

After a while about a dozen slightly humanoid-shaped figures ran into the room. They were each around ten feet tall. Their bodies were slim and tall. They wore black cloaks. There faces were completely blank; no eyes, no ears, no mouths, no hair. They communicated to each other through what seemed to be chirps.

After a while they scurried away. We ran out from behind the metal shard and into another room.

This room was very long; it looked like the other side was about a mile away! There seemed to be nothing in the room at all.

I strained my eyes to see what was on the other side of the room. I could hardly see it, but on the far side of the room, carved onto the wall, was the symbol, except it was huge, about five feet in diameter. This room must have been where I first arrived when I touched the symbol.

"That's it," I said, "We have to get there. C'mon!"

We ran for our lives towards the other side of the room.

Suddenly hordes of the faceless humanoid beings started to pour into the room from doors that seemed to come out of thin air. The hideous creatures ran towards us, their eight-fingered hands outstretched, ready to grab us.

I raced for my life. They were gaining.

After what seemed like an eternity, we finally reached the other side. The horrible howls of the creatures gaining on us could be heard. 

I touched the symbol. The glow from it seemed to blind the creatures, for they shrieked and covered their featureless faces with their eight-fingered hands. The light flashed and I blacked out again.

When I woke I looked around. I felt wet grass and dirt. I breathed in the fresh air, never was I so happy to be at the swamp.

I looked to my side. My sister was curled up, asleep next to me. It must have been a nightmare.

Then I looked at my chest.

The numbers were still there. It hadn't been a dream.

When my sister awoke, I told her it had been a dream and the markings on my chest were a tattoo I had gotten without permission. She insisted it had felt so real, and I told her that sometimes dreams seem real. We never brought up the subject again.

We never went into the swamp again.

THE END

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed