Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 10, 2013, 08:24:08 PM

Author
Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series (Read 286,717 times)

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

His work on Salvation is one of my favorites.

Liberator

It sounds like a lot of fun to bring the four story-lines together.  I'd like to see the xenomorph explained more, and some information about their home world.

Powerloader

AVP started out as a comic book too.  ;D

happypred

Some interesting quotes...

QuoteMike knows Ridley Scott and folks at his office. When Prometheus was first coming together as a film, our contact at Fox told us she wouldn't license it to anyone else, given the history with Aliens and Predator at Dark Horse. But then Ridley Scott didn't want a comic at that time. With the first movie behind them, and gearing up for a second, they loosened up on the idea, and Mike pitched them—Scott's office—on the idea of an interconnected set of books, Prometheus, Aliens, AVP, and Predator, that would follow in the wake of the first film, and put some more answers on the table.

Apparently, Ridley Scott is OK with the combined continuity storyline. In theory, this should bode well

QuoteOne of the challenges with the Aliens and Predator licenses is that the properties are monsters, they're rubber suits, special effects. Readers can't get emotionally connected to an Alien or a Predator. Although we'll test that question with Predator
I hope this means we'll have a main predator who gets the spotlight (rather than a "hero" predator)

A pred character like Broken Tusk but less sympathetic would be cool

predxeno

predxeno

Quote from: happypred on Dec 16, 2013, 03:03:35 AM
QuoteOne of the challenges with the Aliens and Predator licenses is that the properties are monsters, they're rubber suits, special effects. Readers can't get emotionally connected to an Alien or a Predator. Although we'll test that question with Predator
I hope this means we'll have a main predator who gets the spotlight (rather than a "hero" predator)

A pred character like Broken Tusk but less sympathetic would be cool

We already have that in Wolf from AVPR. ;)

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

QuoteMike knows Ridley Scott and folks at his office. When Prometheus was first coming together as a film, our contact at Fox told us she wouldn't license it to anyone else, given the history with Aliens and Predator at Dark Horse. But then Ridley Scott didn't want a comic at that time. With the first movie behind them, and gearing up for a second, they loosened up on the idea, and Mike pitched them—Scott's office—on the idea of an interconnected set of books, Prometheus, Aliens, AVP, and Predator, that would follow in the wake of the first film, and put some more answers on the table.

Apparently, Ridley Scott is OK with the combined continuity storyline. In theory, this should bode well
Hah, that's pretty interesting.

I mean granted you could interpret it as "Ridley Scott's movie is done and he got to tell the story he wanted to tell, he doesn't care what anybody else does outside of his movie" but either way it's pretty interesting.

And yeah I'm hoping for a "main character" Predator, maybe even one who survives the story or comes back and cameoes across multiple stories. There aren't a whole lot of Predators who manage to do that. :P

predxeno

predxeno

Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 16, 2013, 04:14:44 AM

Hah, that's pretty interesting.

I mean granted you could interpret it as "Ridley Scott's movie is done and he got to tell the story he wanted to tell, he doesn't care what anybody else does outside of his movie" but either way it's pretty interesting.

And yeah I'm hoping for a "main character" Predator, maybe even one who survives the story or comes back and cameoes across multiple stories. There aren't a whole lot of Predators who manage to do that. :P

If the Predators get the star treatment, then I want an Alien character to do the same; Aliens can have background as the AVP PC games show, and they don't need to really be that indepth, cameos in various fights like Grid from AVP would be good enough.

Liberator

I'd like to follow the Deacon on LV 223, from Prometheus.  How does it survive, grow, etc.

happypred

A main predator like the predator in South China Sea would be totally sweet

Predators don't always die in their stories (Smiley in Civilised Beasts walks off with a bad ass trophy) but yeah, they usually do

RakaiThwei

Quote from: happypred on Dec 16, 2013, 09:16:02 AM

Or Concrete Jungle..

Just don't have the storylines including those Super Black abominations, and no Preserve Planets.. And I'll be happy!

-Rakai'Thwei

PRJ_since1990

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Dec 16, 2013, 02:12:56 PM
Quote from: happypred on Dec 16, 2013, 09:16:02 AM

Or Concrete Jungle..

Just don't have the storylines including those Super Black abominations, and no Preserve Planets.. And I'll be happy!

-Rakai'Thwei
See, after rewatching Predators last week, I can say I did like it. What I didn't like was that in making another "Predator" species, they made the original obsolete, as if those creatures are so far inferior, they pose little challenge to Super Preds. I feel that does the previous films and tie-ins no justice.
Nor do I have a problem with the movie's setting. It reminded me a lot of AvP Hunter's Planet, but with the twist that it was Predator controlled to begin with.

What I would like to see is a movie about the Yautja erradicating the Super Preds in a huge war, hunting them down like the Jedi in Revenge of the Sith, with the idea at the end that there are still a few SP's out there that could potentially make appearances for future titles.   

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: PRJ_since1990 on Dec 16, 2013, 05:49:38 PM
See, after rewatching Predators last week, I can say I did like it. What I didn't like was that in making another "Predator" species, they made the original obsolete, as if those creatures are so far inferior, they pose little challenge to Super Preds. I feel that does the previous films and tie-ins no justice.
Nor do I have a problem with the movie's setting. It reminded me a lot of AvP Hunter's Planet, but with the twist that it was Predator controlled to begin with.

I didn't like the movie because it was in the hands of the wrong man from the get go. It had a horrible script from the beginning, and I am referring to the 1994 script which Rodriguez had written. While a lot of the elements from the old script were removed, some major elements still managed to get in such as the alien planet- which wasn't so alien after all, and of course the Black Predator. Sure, it could've been worse but I still feel like PREDATORS was just awful and it just.. I just hate that movie for what it was. It had a bad draft script, they worked with the draft script to refine it.. and we still had a mediocre film. I also didn't like the fact that it was approached with such an arrogant attitude and Rodriguez took potshots at the previous sequels.

I do agree with you that the Super Predators were just.. not necessary. The idea of the original movie was that the original species, the Yautja, were supposed to be this Grendel archetype enemy. A near unstoppable force from the far reaches of space. For the first two sequels, that's what we got. It can be debated whether or not the AvP films kept that idea. For there to be a different species of Predators which is supposed to be more hip, or bigger, badder.. completely defeats the concept of the original.

I have issues with the preserve planet idea because to me it contradicts what was established in the first movie. There was a sport, a challenging about going to a different planet and hunting the prey there. Part of that challenge for a Predator was to immerse themselves in a different environment, an alien environment unfamiliar to them on a world they ventured to. The idea of kidnapping prey and putting them on a preserve planet just defeats the purpose of the challenge of the hunt. You might as well be having Predators throwing fish in a barrel. Some have argued that it was poaching, and some have claimed from a Hungarian magazine source that the normal Predators toss the Super Predators on the planet as form of exile. The latter idea isn't so bad of an idea but the film doesn't make any indication that seems to be the case. All we have is word from Rodriguez indicating it, but nothing concrete in the film to suggest it.

Quote from: PRJ_since1990 on Dec 16, 2013, 05:49:38 PM
What I would like to see is a movie about the Yautja erradicating the Super Preds in a huge war, hunting them down like the Jedi in Revenge of the Sith, with the idea at the end that there are still a few SP's out there that could potentially make appearances for future titles.   

We kind of sort of got that in Predator: Pray to the Heavens and Alien vs Predator: Three World War.. And if you want to count the iOS game, then we also got that in Aliens vs Predator: Evolution.

The only thing good about the idea of combining Alien, Predator, Prometheus and AvP (which sadly ignores the AvP films) is that according to Sebela-- it doesn't really link to the old expanded universe material. It's a stand-alone story. A reboot series. Sounds like to me this is a stand alone story with multiple comics tying into each other. That's not so bad I guess but if this is something ongoing.. you know, like ongoing like X-Men, Spider-Man, TMNT... well, I just don't like the idea of it.

-Rakai'Thwei

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

The 90:1 guy must be a hardass.

predxeno

predxeno

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Dec 16, 2013, 02:12:56 PM

-Rakai'Thwei

We may not have preserve planets but I'm pretty sure the BSPs will be making a cameo.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed