Blomkamp's Alien 5 is "Innovative, Amazing, Performs Fan Service"

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 23, 2016, 11:25:49 PM

Author
Blomkamp's Alien 5 is "Innovative, Amazing, Performs Fan Service" (Read 124,464 times)

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Sep 03, 2016, 04:52:23 AM
Lol, no one's saying Hicks and Newt are important. But they survived in Aliens, the movie where Neill will be picking up from.

Just because certain people didn't like Alien 3 or its treatment of those characters, doesn't mean we want everything super idyllic. It's not like the only other option besides killing everybody off is making everything super happy. Why are we thinking in extremes?

But honestly? That all sounds good to me anyway. Yeah, I would've loved to have seen Ripley and Hicks on the beach, or in a Gold Coast villa. So patronizing you are with your suggestions Winde, but actually yeah that all sounds good to me.

Careful!  You're going to make Windebieste's head explode.  Dude don't like happy endings!

Winde, this on'e for you.

It would be great to see Ripley and Hicks dance to this at their wedding!   :D

(I trust you can appreciate sarcasm - we're not asking for this.  But enjoy the beautiful song anyway)

Nostromo

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Sep 03, 2016, 04:40:54 PM

Careful!  You're going to make Windebieste's head explode.  Dude don't like happy endings!

Winde, this on'e for you.

It would be great to see Ripley and Hicks dance to this at their wedding!   :D

Hahahaha  ;D

BishopShouldGo

Yeah I forgot. Everything's gotta be depressing and unfair because life is unfair!!11oneone

This is why Alien 3's ending is wicked smaht and perfect.

Nostromo

Nostromo

:P

SpreadEagleBeagle

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: windebieste on Sep 03, 2016, 03:31:18 AM

Like I say... Would've been great, in 1988.   Time to move on has long passed.

-Windebieste.

I don't think this film would have been great in 1988 at all.  You'd be stuck with Ripley and Hicks running around with a little Newt unless they aged her in the film in which case the film would be taking place 15 - 20 years after the events of Aliens to have an fully grown, adult Newt.  So regardless, it would be a movie that takes place decades after Aliens.

Moreover, it is highly unlikely that Hicks, and Ripley would have another encounter with the Aliens 2 years after the events of Aliens.  30 years later makes perfect sense.  They find out that someone discovered the homeworld, regroup, and go try to stir shit up.

Moreover, Guns N' Roses is so popular now because they've been apart for 25 years.  The recipe for making something desirable again is to close the door on it for a few decades.  This is how reunions are such a success.  You have to miss the thing you once had.  I think many people miss those characters and what that story promised.  So now is the perfect time to make the film.  It's gonna be gangbusters!  (I have no idea what that word means but...)

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Sep 03, 2016, 08:19:30 PM
I don't think this film would have been great in 1988 at all.  You'd be stuck with Ripley and Hicks running around with a little Newt unless they aged her in the film in which case the film would be taking place 15 - 20 years after the events of Aliens to have an fully grown, adult Newt.  So regardless, it would be a movie that takes place decades after Aliens.

So now you're going to be stuck with Newt running around with an old, weak and tired Ripley and Hicks instead, pretending they're in their prime...

QuoteMoreover, it is highly unlikely that Hicks, and Ripley would have another encounter with the Aliens 2 years after the events of Aliens.  30 years later makes perfect sense.  They find out that someone discovered the homeworld, regroup, and go try to stir shit up.

You know, you mention this Alien Homeworld a lot... I don't want to rain on your parade (...well, I do because I think the concept of this movie is beyond stupid), but Ridley Scott will most likely deal with the topic in either A:C or the sequel to A:C, and if not he will dictate wether there is an actual Homeworld or not (are the Aliens creations or did they evolve from some primordial organism/microbe, or is there a little bit of both?). Blomkamp will have very little leeway and practically no artistic freedom when it comes to anything related to the Engineers, unless Ridley gets a bigger part in the direction and production of this movie (let's really hope that is the case!).

QuoteMoreover, Guns N' Roses is so popular now because they've been apart for 25 years.  The recipe for making something desirable again is to close the door on it for a few decades.  This is how reunions are such a success.  You have to miss the thing you once had.  I think many people miss those characters and what that story promised.  So now is the perfect time to make the film.  It's gonna be gangbusters!  (I have no idea what that word means but...)

...And they should never have reunited to begin with...*shudders* ...GNR is the prime example that some things should just be left alone, like a fond memory or nostalgic recollection of something that was once great and awesome.

Do we really want an Axl Rose moment with Biehn/Hicks? I know I don't. I guess he can always join AC/DC depending on the success of A2...

windebieste

I never never said I didn't like happy endings. 

My objection and disdain is directed at bringing back deceased characters solely to achieve this goal at the expense of half the series.  Besides, a Disney ending might be your kind of thing but I for one want to embrace content that is more adult in nature, including the ending. 

Oh, any by the way, what has Guns n Roses got to do with it, anyway?  Did the band members all die in a tragic EEV accident, or something, and the fans brought them back to life?

What exactly is this mysterious Alien Homeworld..?  Where is it..?  How do you know it even exists?

Retcon is stupid.  Bury it.

-Windebieste.

BishopShouldGo

We have a disagreement then. ;)

windebieste

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Sep 04, 2016, 12:17:49 AM
We have a disagreement then. ;)

That's perfectly fine.  There's no freedom without dissent.    At this point, no one is right or wrong, anyway.

...and certainly the World would be a boring place if everyone agreed.   Would certainly be a sad place to live in if that were to be the case.   :'(

As for Blomkamp's current proposal?  Yeah.  I still think it sucks and should be buried.   So f*ck that.  lol.  :P

-Windebieste.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: windebieste on Sep 03, 2016, 11:49:28 PM
I never never said I didn't like happy endings. 

My objection and disdain is directed at bringing back deceased characters solely to achieve this goal at the expense of half the series.  Besides, a Disney ending might be your kind of thing but I for one want to embrace content that is more adult in nature, including the ending. 

Oh, any by the way, what has Guns n Roses got to do with it, anyway?  Did the band members all die in a tragic EEV accident, or something, and the fans brought them back to life?

What exactly is this mysterious Alien Homeworld..?  Where is it..?  How do you know it even exists?

Retcon is stupid.  Bury it.

-Windebieste.

We definitely have a disagreement, though I won't call your ideas stupid.  Just different.

I'm not even asking for a happy ending.  The series is about realism.  What happened in Alien 3 and then in Res is so unlikely unfortunate that it robs the series of the realism one might expect.  It is just too far-fetched to work well, and dumping those 2 films from continuity at least gives a chance of setting the series on a better path.  Is it possible that we will just get a cheesefest from Blomkamp?  Certainly.  What he has planned may not work at all.  I'm willing to take that chance.

FiorinaFury161

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Sep 04, 2016, 12:43:08 AM
What happened in Alien 3 and then in Res is so unlikely unfortunate that it robs the series of the realism one might expect. 
You're just another droid, sent by the f^ckin' company! :P

Seriously, the odds of the events in Alien 3 happening were very realistic. Very.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: FiorinaFury161 on Sep 04, 2016, 02:04:34 AM
What happened in Alien 3 and then in Res is so unlikely unfortunate that it robs the series of the realism one might expect. 

Seriously, the odds of the events in Alien 3 happening were very realistic. Very.

Ok, you're (Perfect-Organism) blaming A3 for robbing the series on realism?? Are you actually saying that with a straight face? If anything A3 BROUGHT BACK THE REALISM. In fact it is just as "realistic" as ALIEN.

The movie that robbed the series on realism _IS_ ALIENS.

Sure, the movie (ALIENS) starts on a realistic note but goes full super hero the second Ripley decides to go look for Newt and just gets sillier and sillier. We have Ripley going all Rambo with duct taped weapons shooting up Aliens to the left and right, staring down a 12 foot alien monster, which she later on fights hand-to-hand inside a forklift robot suit. And to top it all of she defies the laws of physics by climbing up a ladder with the said 12 foot alien monster latched on to her ankle with the added weight of the powerloader, and she does all of this with the vacuum of space sucking and flushing everything out underneath her, including the realism of the series.

A3 on the other hand turned her into a flesh-and-blood human being again with limitations and multi-faceted feelings and traits. It's back to basics, back to reality. The Hollywood romanticism and escape from reality is over and the cold harsh reality of the universe is back in the driver seat, where there are no super heroes and where the only consistent truth is death - you can't escape death, no matter how hard you try, and what matters is what you do with your life before you die no matter if you are an innocent child or animal like Newt and Spike, or a brave and caring person like Ellen Ripley or Hicks or a loathsome murderer, pedophile or/and a rapist women like the convicts on Fury.
((Warning! I'm gonna go semi off-tangent from this point and on, just so you know...))
In the eye-less face of the Universe and the Alien we're all the same and we don't matter, we're nothing, so it's up to us give things a meaning, even if that is believing in (some imaginary) God, because without that there is nothing, and if there is nothing then there is only nihilism and death and there are no rules and no respect for life, and without respect for life we are reduced to beasts capable of anything in order to survive and get ahead in the food-chain. There is life and death and good and bad timing, sometimes the circumstances are beneficial, sometimes they aren't, but there is no such thing as fate, universal justice, fairness or karma, so how do we deal with it? The Alien on the other hand thrives in it as it, in a sense, IS the cold harsh reality of Universe personified, hence Ash's comment "the perfect organism".

Anyways.

Figuratively the prisoners on Fiorina "Fury" 161, in a way, are in the Purgatory (almost literally as the place is a lead works located far, far away from the rest of humanity). In a way they already died, but they haven't passed yet to the other side (Heaven or Hell). They have been stored away for their final battle, their final test, and the test starts with this Christ-like character in disguise (Ripley) descending on their world, in fire and flames, broken and demoralized, full of temptation as she is a woman and many of them are rapists; and as if temptation isn't enough she also brought the Beast with her - the Grim Reaper and the Angel of Death in one. Of course none of them see themselves in this scope in the movie (except for maybe Dillon, who by the way probably is the ONLY true believer in there), to them it's just about primal survival and to Ripley it's about taking responsibility and finish this once and for all, no matter the cost. There is no easy way out even though the realization of her carrying one of them inside of her tempts her to take her own life, just like Mr. Bishop & W-Y tempt her by offering to save her life by surgically removing the creature from her, which pretty much make them the Devil - the temptation to get what you want at the expense of others.

With that said, A3 manages to bring back realism to the series in the most fittingly poetic manner possible. The movie has no bells and whistles, it doesn't try to come up with new sci-fi gimmicks and concepts - it focuses on the story, the meaning, and the meta-narratives, and in that sense I would say that it is as mature as a gory sci-fi monster movie can get. And the ending, it's not an unhappy ending but a bittersweet ending, empowering and full of hope yet dark and heavy.

Oh, and some fun trivia on the name of Fiorina "Fury" 161 and ALIEN 3 - "Fiorina" means blossom, new life, flower, flora, innocence and virginity, whereas a synonym to Fury is Rage. But a Fury (pl. Furies) is also a Greek mythological creature somewhat similar to an angel - a winged female, sometimes engulfed in flames, sometimes portrayed as a monstrous chimera creature, but always given the attribute of an arbiter and a matriarch just as strong (if not stronger) as opposing patriarchs. The number 3:16:1 (as in ALIEN 3 and Fiorina 161) is a code for the most famous Gospel from the New Testament - the Gospel of John (John 3:16), which goes: "I have told you these things so you won't fall away" and is a part of the Gospel where Jesus Christ resurrects Lazarus four days after Lazarus's death as well as the foreboding resurrection of Jebus himself. I don't know if that is a play with the character of Ripley and the Alien, or if it in fact is a cryptic summary of the entire movie (A3), making Dillon's character even more of a narrator than he already is contrasting the cold harsh indifference and godless existence of the universe established in ALIEN.

There you got it. That's why I love A3. It might not be as entertaining and exciting as ALIENS but it has tons of substance and qualities that it deserves to be acknowledged for whether you like the movie or not. Heavy poetic down-to-earth realism with perfectly balanced religious symbolism is one of them.

"Pretentious much?  :-X ::) "
I don't care!  :P 8)

Novak 1334

Just going to throw this out there.

Remember what happened last time we were promised a sequel to Aliens that ignored A3 and A:R

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Sep 04, 2016, 08:52:53 PM
Quote from: FiorinaFury161 on Sep 04, 2016, 02:04:34 AM

Ok, you're (Perfect-Organism) blaming A3 for robbing the series on realism?? Are you actually saying that with a straight face? If anything A3 BROUGHT BACK THE REALISM. In fact it is just as "realistic" as ALIEN.

The movie that robbed the series on realism _IS_ ALIENS.

Sure, the movie (ALIENS) starts on a realistic note but goes full super hero the second Ripley decides to go look for Newt and just gets sillier and sillier. We have Ripley going all Rambo with duct taped weapons shooting up Aliens to the left and right, staring down a 12 feet alien monster, which she later on fights hand-to-hand inside a forklift robot suit. And to top it all of she defies the laws of physics by climbing up a ladder with the said 12 feet alien monster latched on to her ankle with the added weight of the powerloader, and she does all of this with the vacuum of space sucking and flushing everything out underneath her, including the realism of the series.

A3 on the other hand turned her into a flesh-and-blood human being again with limitations and multi-faceted feelings and traits. It's back to basics, back to reality. The Hollywood romanticism and escape from reality is over and the cold harsh reality of the universe is back in the driver seat, where there are no super heroes and where the only consistent truth is death - you can't escape death, no matter how hard you try, and what matters is what you do with your life before you die no matter if you are an innocent child or animal like Newt and Spike, or a brave and caring person like Ellen Ripley or Hicks or a loathsome murderer, pedophile or/and a rapist women like the convicts on Fury.
((Warning! I'm gonna go semi off-tangent from this point and on, just so you know...))
In the eye-less face of the Universe and the Alien we're all the same and we don't matter, we're nothing, so it's up to us give things a meaning, even if that is believing in (some imaginary) God, because without that there is nothing, and if there is nothing then there is only nihilism and death and there are no rules and no respect for life, and without respect for life we are reduced to beasts capable of anything in order to survive and get ahead in the food-chain. There is life and death and good and bad timing, sometimes the circumstances are beneficial, sometimes they aren't, but there is no such thing as fate, universal justice, fairness or karma, so how do we deal with it? The Alien on the other hand thrives in it as it, in a sense, IS the cold harsh reality of Universe personified, hence Ash's comment "the perfect organism".

Anyways.

Figuratively the prisoners on Fiorina "Fury" 161, in a way, are in the Purgatory (almost literally as the place is a lead works located far, far away from the rest of humanity). In a way they already died, but they haven't passed yet to the other side (Heaven or Hell). They have been stored away for their final battle, their final test, and the test starts with this Christ-like character in disguise (Ripley) ascending on their world, in fire and flames, broken and demoralized, full of temptation as she is a woman and many of them are rapists; and as if temptation isn't enough she also brought the Beast with her - the Grim Reaper and the Angel of Death in one. Of course none of them see themselves in this scope in the movie (except for maybe Dillon, who by the way probably is the ONLY true believer in there), to them it's just about primal survival and to Ripley it's about taking responsibility and finish this once and for all, no matter the cost. There is no easy way out even though the realization of her carrying one of them inside of her tempts her to take her own life, just like Mr. Bishop & W-Y tempt her by offering to save her life by surgically removing the creature from her, which pretty much make them the Devil - the temptation to get what you want at the expense of others.

With that said, A3 manages to bring back realism to the series in the most fittingly poetic manner possible. The movie has no bells and whistles, it doesn't try to come up with new sci-fi gimmicks and concepts - it focuses on the story, the meaning, and the meta-narratives, and in that sense I would say that it is as mature as a gory sci-fi monster movie can get. And the ending, it's not an unhappy ending but a bitter sweet ending, empowering and full of hope yet dark and heavy.

Oh, and some fun trivia on the name of Fiorina "Fury" 161 and ALIEN 3 - "Fiorina" means blossom, new life, flower, flora, innocence and virginity, whereas a synonym to Fury is Rage. But a Fury (pl. Furies) is also a Greek mythological creature somewhat similar to an angel - a winged female, sometimes engulfed in flames, sometimes portrayed as a monstrous chimera creature, but always given the attribute of an arbiter and a matriarch just as strong (if not stronger) as opposing patriarchs. The number 3:16:1 (as in ALIEN 3 and Fiorina 161) is a code for the most famous Gospel from the New Testament - the Gospel of John (John 3:16), which goes: "I have told you these things so you won't fall away" and is a part of the Gospel where Jesus Christ resurrects Lazarus four days after Lazarus's death as well as the foreboding resurrection of Jebus himself. I don't know if that is a play with the character of Ripley and the Alien, or if it in fact is a cryptic summary of the entire movie (A3), making Dillon's character even more of a narrator than he already is contrasting the cold harsh indifference and godless existence of the universe established in ALIEN.

There you got it. That's why I love A3. It might not be as entertaining and exciting as ALIENS but it has tons of substance and qualities that it deserves to be acknowledged for whether you like the movie or not. Heavy poetic down-to-earth realism with perfectly balanced religious symbolism is one of them.

"Pretentious much?  :-X ::) "
I don't care!  :P 8)

Nah, you're not being pretentious at all.  Alien 3 truly is a great film.  Perhaps the film was pretentious, in trying to deal with these topics, but I still think it did it in a great way.  That being said, I will always enjoy it on its own merits, but I would still prefer a different story told instead.  One which includes some of the great characters established in Aliens.

I've never said I disliked Alien 3.  I do think it was out of left field though, and I would have preferred if the series retained the characters and the vibe of Aliens.  It really is just entertainment.  There is nothing wrong with that.  To each their own.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed