Old school predator (Spoiler)

Started by Milan, Mar 19, 2010, 12:40:27 PM

Author
Old school predator (Spoiler) (Read 56,722 times)

Vemados

Vemados

Predators = Big game hunters, not samurai

jaztermareal

jaztermareal

where is the honour in killing an intelligent, sentient being simply as game? theres no honour in that. its simply evil. preds are bad guys, and the hunters are probably the rejects of society.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Once again, there's no such thing as honor for the preds in the films.

Doomofman

Doomofman

Quote from: ShadowPred on Apr 14, 2010, 11:46:12 PM
Once again, there's no such thing as honor for the preds in the films.

Nope... It may be hinted at a little in the 2 movies but until it's shown clearly it can't really be said to exist... And Predators will show that even if some Preds have some honor... Others don't

Milan

Milan

The "honor" discussion is something us fans have been discussing for years,
I think it has with the word "honor" has different meanings to different individuals.

I myself are trying to distance myself lately for using that word, when talking about the Predator and what the motives behind some of their actions on screen.

If I should explain the Predator with focus on the code that makes them honorable,
Then I would say that they are following a code of conduct that they value higher than life itself.

One thing that many seem to look past is that the Predator in the comics is built and expanded from the first Predator (Anytime) seen in the movies. And the later Predators seen in the movies have been following the comics pretty well.

That the Predators had a set of rules who they followed during a hunt(code of conduct), that they travelled alone or in a group where they had a leader, that they hunted solo or in groups, that the alien was considered prey...was all in the comics before Predator 2 hit the cinemas for the first time.

However, the movies doesn't have a Predator explaining this to the audience, there ain't a Predator who said that the Elder was the leader of that group of Predators in P2, they showed us that he was the leader same goes with everything else.

Quote from: ShadowPred on Apr 14, 2010, 02:15:39 PM
I used to incorporate the idea of honor in the pred films, nowadays I don't do that anymore because I realised how dumb it is, but if one wants to incorporate it, it sure does fit, but don't f**king give me any bullshit about rules. The rules were thought up after some guy saw the movies a billion times and then proceeded on saying that their rules go from don't kill children to don't kill pregnant women and so on.

The Predator went to that jungle with a purpose and had specific targets in mind, he didn't kill every being he laid his eyes on, first he did the rebels, then he went after the Green Berets after that he took on Dutches team.

The rules ppl are talking about are based on Anytimes actions in the movie and Anna's story about the one they called "Cazador de trofeos". "the demon who makes trophies out of men"(Some rules have been added and expanded in and because of Predator 2.)

That they don't kill children or pregnant women is based on the "No sport" line backed up with the simple fact that if the Predator killed men, women and children then Anna would have expressed it in her story to Dutch. She made pretty clear on who the Predator targeted,
think about what the men in her village were, their roles, they were armed rebels,
potential and most likely qualified prey for the hunter.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

So pretty much it's what MASTER said on the previous page. There may not be a code or a set of rules, but these things fall along a sort of guideline to follow. That's what I'll agree on, they're just guidelines.

Milan

Milan

Quote from: ShadowPred on Apr 15, 2010, 04:45:21 AM
So pretty much it's what MASTER said on the previous page. There may not be a code or a set of rules, but these things fall along a sort of guideline to follow. That's what I'll agree on, they're just guidelines.

Yes, I understand you...but the thing that makes it hard for me 2 get along the theory that they're just following a sort of guideline, is that it doesn't sound like it's that serious to them...
That they're just on "jerking around" on earth, then they go and commit sueside upon both failour and defeat...it doesn't make any sense...
...it's like something one would see in a parody...like space balls or Life of Brian.

But then again, maybe the word "guidelines" has a different meaning and impact for me, every time I hear it it reminds me about a scene in Pirates of the Caribbean.
When adding the phrase "...more like guidelines"  then I don't see the faces of two grim hunters called Anytime and Pussyface,
I see the faces of two goofy pirates called Pintel and Ragetti giggling to this conversation...

"Elizabeth: Wait! You have to take me to shore. According to the Code of the Order of the Brethren...
Barbossa: First, your return to shore was not part of our negotiations nor our agreement so I must do nothing.
And secondly, you must be a pirate for the pirate's code to apply and you're not.
And thirdly, the code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules. Welcome aboard the Black Pearl, Miss Turner ...HA Ha ha"

huntin8-t0n

huntin8-t0n

QuoteQuote

Why do samurai commit suicide? to preserve honor!
there is alot of reasons why people commit suicide, hell in present day people do it but not for honour.

In this special case mostly it's for honor as I know (which honor includes things we wouldn't call that). just to mention.
But why are preds referred to as samurai... it's a mistery for me (aside from the honor parallel)

I don't see why rules and honour are bound together. It is totally possible to have rules and yet don't hit the requirment  'honorable'. It all depends on the rules themselves.
I think mostly rules are based on guidelines. Only that guidelines are not solid things, as they are not recorded. So they can be altered easily by a witty individual and right circumstances. This time when a pred is hunting on his own, guideline means that he depends on his own sense of righ and wrong. So basically nothing, but  choice of an individual.
I think they have rules, which are based on the values the species allow to itself. And then these rules become the guidelines each clan can make up their own 'creed'. Slightly different clan by clan, but still has the common values of the species. And based on this the hunt can be controlled somehow.
Not with sense of honour, but sense of reason. I doubt preds are just sadistic, evil creatures, just because they hunt.

happypred

happypred

the way predators think they're honourable hunters is similar to the way prison gangmembers think they're "warriors" with a code of honour, it's mostly bravado

they're not honourable by "proper" human standards, only according to themselves

Quote from: 08yeyinde on Apr 15, 2010, 05:23:50 PM
I don't see why rules and honour are bound together. It is totally possible to have rules and yet don't hit the requirment  'honorable'.

I think when rules cross into honor is when following those rules fosters a sense of superiority, and when the rules incorporate a sense of "fairplay"

in the books predators only hunt prey capable of hunting them back, but even in the books a lot of the younger predators ignore that rule

in the movies it seems that predators hunt whatever is armed

either version of this main rule incorporates fairness, but are by no means 100% fair, that's why i think the predators are only quasi-honourable

Master

Master

What fairness? It`s like hitting blind pupp with shovel. Of course he can bite you, but at first he is blind and his teeth ain`t long enough to truly harm you. Same situation is with Preds and Humans.

happypred

happypred

Quote from: Master on Apr 15, 2010, 07:13:23 PM
What fairness? It`s like hitting blind pupp with shovel. Of course he can bite you, but at first he is blind and his teeth ain`t long enough to truly harm you. Same situation is with Preds and Humans.

a predator wouldn't attack a human with a toothpick, he would attack a human with a sword, a blow with a sword would f**k up a predator if it landed

I don't think you've actually read what I wrote, like I said:
the way predators think they're honourable hunters is similar to the way prison gangmembers think they're "warriors" with a code of honour, it's mostly bravado

they're not honourable by "proper" human standards, only according to themselves

I think when rules cross into honor is when following those rules fosters a sense of superiority, and when the rules incorporate a sense of "fairplay"

in the books predators only hunt prey capable of hunting them back, but even in the books a lot of the younger predators ignore that rule

in the movies it seems that predators hunt whatever is armed

either version of this main rule incorporates fairness, but are by no means 100% fair, that's why i think the predators are only quasi-honourable

huntin8-t0n

huntin8-t0n

Quoteeither version of this main rule incorporates fairness, but are by no means 100% fair, that's why i think the predators are only quasi-honourable

Nothing is 100% fair. preds are hunters, it assmues they know hunter is always the one superior. If they wanted any fairness, they wouldn't use that advanced technology against. Though there's a point in picking the prey to be more poweful, and then even let it have more chance. But it's not for the prey, not to make it equal. hunter and prey is never equal.

Quotein the movies it seems that predators hunt whatever is armed
armed and willing to provoke or join in a fight, hence extremely dangerous in its own enviroment, as I saw.

Rather a teenager with a shovel. But not blind. And let's make it that the shovel can blow you up with one swing. You make a wrong move and you're dead.

happypred

happypred

do you guys think that I'm saying predators are truly honourable in the ideal sense of the word?

do you guys know a lot of samurai and knights killed peasants? 

can you say the rule of hunting dangerous game incorporates no sense of fairplay whatsoever?

of course predators keep an advantage, that's why I think they're only quasi-honourable

all I'm saying is that I think the predators view their rules as more than just rules, given their incredible arrogance, I think there's a sense of honour and machismo involved even if it's hypocritical in many places 

I think my theory explains what we've seen in the movies, I'm not saying that no alternate explanation is valid . . .

huntin8-t0n

huntin8-t0n

Quotedo you guys think that I'm saying predators are truly honourable in the ideal sense of the word?

No, I totally understood you ( I hope). I just added my thoughts. It wasn't a criticism.

Milan

Milan

It really depends on how the blind puppy fairs against other pups, is it tearing them apart in a manner that it would make you view it as a threat?

And I don't think that Dutch and his team posed the same threat to the Predator as a gang of blind puppies would pose to you or me...
And I'm not even a hunter used to kill animals...
Still I think they wouldn't be any threat to me.
I would bring one home, give it to my girl friend cause it's cute and vulnerable.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed