Alien: Dark Descent’s Enemy Type and Squad Class Descriptions

Started by RidgeTop, May 26, 2023, 07:33:10 AM

Author
Alien: Dark Descent’s Enemy Type and Squad Class Descriptions (Read 9,055 times)

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

Following yesterday's release of another and lengthier gameplay overview trailer, the Aliens: Dark Descent website was updated with new descriptions of some of the enemies you'll be facing when the game launches. We now have a better idea of these foes, such as the mysterious new 'Guardians,' or the imposing Xenomorph at the end of the previously released trailer, which was indeed a Praetorian. Check out their details below:

Facehuggers:
When an Egg detects a suitable host, the facehugger it contains comes to life. This spider-like, parasitoid form of the Xenomorph exists solely to implant a Chestburster within a living creature.

Guardians:
Guardians are the elite of the Darwin Era, not only in a combat sense but in a cultural one as well. These fanatics voluntarily undergo the implantation of a device Marlow named Embryostatis, which slows down the Xenomorph life cycle by postponing the "birth" of the creature. Equipped with such an apparatus, the Guardians are able to walk among the Xenomorphs without danger.

Praetorians:
Theories state that the Praetorians evolve from chosen Drones once a Hive nears its full development. Significantly larger and tougher than typical Xenomorphs, these bipedal creatures can be identified by their broad head crest and longer dorsal spines.

Queen:
Every Hive is led by a Queen. These specimens are regarded as the biggest and most intelligent form of the Xenomorph. A Queen's main purpose is to lay within the Hive, a mission she completes with the help of an Ovipositor, a sort of abdomen that produces Eggs.

Runner:
Quite different to human-spawned Xenomorphs, the Runners probably inherit their physiology from four-legged animals, like cows or dogs. As their name implies, Runners are exceptionally fast and athletic, but their speed comes with a cost, for they are nowhere near as resilient as Drones or Warriors.

Synthetic:
These old Maintenance Synths originally manufactured by Seegson have been purchased by Weyland-Yutani on outdated stations and then repurposed with a better AI to serve on Pioneer.

Warrior:
Whether Drones and Warriors are two separate classes within the Hive is still up for debate. One thing is for sure though: specimens described as Warriors are considered even more dangerous. Most of them are recognizable by their ridged skulls and segmented tails, which make these bipedal Xenomorphs look even more sinister.

Also added to the game's website were some new descriptions for the various marine classes which will make up your squad:

Gunner:
The Gunner is one of the most recognizable marine of the squad, a sturdy daredevil holding a M56 Smart Gun and providing his team with an exceptional fire support.

Medic:
Expert to maintain the squad in a good shape, the Medic is vital to any marine formation, providing exhaustive healing abilities to his brothers in arms.

Recon:
Quick and equipped with a Light Pulse Rifle, the Recon is the deadly master scout the squad counts on.

Sergeant:
The Sergeant is the keystone of the squad, a charismatic team leader with a strategic mindset, who provides confidence and control to the squad.

Tecker:
Undoubtedly the most intelligent asset of the squad, the Tecker is a resourceful and clever marine capable to hack almost anything.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

I knew you were all overthinking this one.

RidgeTop

Quote from: [cancerblack] on May 26, 2023, 08:15:02 AMI knew you were all overthinking this one.

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/Screenshot-2023-05-26-003431.jpg

I'll admit, I totally was. Just was used to Praetorians having more of a Queen-like crest. This design reminded me of Tristan's stuff.

[cancerblack]

Reminds me of that too. Was that not a Praetorian? Never had the chance to read it.

BlueMarsalis79

Class names are a bit wack but alright.

I guess I did overthink the Praetorian thing. 

Vrastal

Its not my favorite preatorian design but i dont think its bad.

Really excited for the game.

The models look.. kind of clay model-ish like the liggting is off on them or something

Xenomrph

Had a giggle at the subtle "caste/cowl" nod in the Warrior description.

Genjitsu17

Guardians ended up being a decent concept.  Not what I was imagining.  Could be really cool if it's pulled off well in the story.

Xenomorphine

Seems my comment got auto-deleted when I tried adding it at the front page.

So, never been a fan of splitting the 'drone'/'warrior' thing into a caste system I know there's some internal back-pedalling in the description, but they also add a clear distinction between them) and certainly not of 'praetorians', which even the comics could never get straight. These thigns should have been at Hadley's Hope if they existed.

Regardless, what's with the text-speak 'tecker' classification? The description sounds like Hudson (who hacked into doors and the colony's computer, although wouldn't really be considered the most intelligent of the group), but he was labelled a 'com tech'/combat technician in the film. Not this 'tecker' thing.

BlueMarsalis79

The other stuff you just have to accept exists now, it is in everything Alien beyond the films for over twenty years, Tecker though I agree what a weird name.

Acid_Reign161

Absolutely loving the concept of the Guardians and embryostasis! Of all the expanded media interpretations of weaponising the Xenomorph, this has got to be my favourite - considering how the runner responded to Ripley in Alien 3, I'm surprised this idea hadn't been explored sooner! 😊

Xenomorphine

'Embryostasis' doesn't make much logical sense to me. They could simply replicate whatever the pheromones/whatever is which the adults respond to. No need to mutilate/doom the 'volunteers' to a slow-motion death.

[cancerblack]

But it's cool and edgy.

Spoiler
Which is why I've been using it in RPGs for almost ten years
[close]

Xiggz456

Quote from: Xenomorphine on May 26, 2023, 09:29:10 PM'Embryostasis' doesn't make much logical sense to me. They could simply replicate whatever the pheromones/whatever is which the adults respond to. No need to mutilate/doom the 'volunteers' to a slow-motion death.

But I'm guessing that it might be a religious type thing so the volunteers are seeking this experience out as a form of worship. Although that could just be me reading into things. I'm really excited to find out though!

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: Xenomorphine on May 26, 2023, 09:29:10 PM'Embryostasis' doesn't make much logical sense to me. They could simply replicate whatever the pheromones/whatever is which the adults respond to. No need to mutilate/doom the 'volunteers' to a slow-motion death.

Perhaps they tried to, or maybe just narratively, it is more interesting to go this direction.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed