Dark Horse Announces "Predator: Life and Death" (FaS-style Crossover)

Started by Ultramorph, Dec 11, 2015, 12:07:00 AM

Author
Dark Horse Announces "Predator: Life and Death" (FaS-style Crossover) (Read 137,036 times)

LordCassusSnow

I always thought of the yautja being on the same engineer extermination list as humans and the preds, being the bad asses they are, turned the tables and escaped the engineers apocalypse and spread throughout the galaxy hunting engineer creations and maybe even creating them for game as the beasts in the predators sequel comic bare striking similarities to the animal life in fire and stone.

predxeno

Quote from: happypred on Dec 11, 2015, 06:15:17 AM
Quote from: LordCassusSnow on Dec 11, 2015, 06:09:51 AMIn incursion its stated that the yautja history was being lost by the war consuming yautja space and with it many elders who are keepers of that knowledge.

Don't remember Incursion saying that...

I don't think it did, there was mention that the legacy of Yautja hunts was erased with each dead Yautja but I think that's more of a cultural thing than anything regarding history.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: predxeno on Dec 11, 2015, 07:14:28 AM
I don't think it did, there was mention that the legacy of Yautja hunts was erased with each dead Yautja but I think that's more of a cultural thing than anything regarding history.

My mistake then! I suppose I must've misinterpreted something amongst the fan discussion regarding that.

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Dec 11, 2015, 05:27:37 AM
Actually, evolutionary principles dictate the land-dwelling humanoid body design would be the most likely form of life, in terms of species which naturally discover star travel. It's all to do with efficiency of energy and the psychology of invention. Mere tool-use, on its own, isn't enough.

Life might be very exotic, out there, but humanoid life is generally going to be what we communicate with.

Exceptons to that would be if something has, say, telekinesis or has been given technology by another civilisation (or is artificially created). That's when 'leap-frogging' factors could potentially arise.

This is very enlightening!

happypred

Quote from: predxeno on Dec 11, 2015, 07:14:28 AM
Quote from: happypred on Dec 11, 2015, 06:15:17 AM
Quote from: LordCassusSnow on Dec 11, 2015, 06:09:51 AMIn incursion its stated that the yautja history was being lost by the war consuming yautja space and with it many elders who are keepers of that knowledge.

Don't remember Incursion saying that...

Yes as in each Yautja death ends the legacy of a Yautja warrior

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Based on Elden's reaction to the Predators in Fire and Stone, I don't believe they're going down the road of the Engineers being the progenitors of the Predators. I do prefer that the Engineers not be single handedly responsible for every single variation of life in the galaxy.

That said I did kind of like the idea of the Predators hunting their own gods. It was quite a powerful idea. It's still powerful, they're literally hunting gods, I just thought it was more powerful with them hunting their own.

I think we're going to see a lot more interaction between the franchises - at least in comic book form - now. It seems very much like Dark Horse is committed to some sort of massive universe and continuity. And I'm all for that assuming it's kept tidy and the stories themselves are actually good! I'm still a little underwhelmed by Fire and Stone as a whole as it felt like it ultimately went no-where.

Quote from: happypred on Dec 11, 2015, 05:54:26 AM
Hope Ahab is in this

I would love that! The F&S Predator series was fantastic and I loved Ahab!

HuDaFuK

Even as a non-comic fan, it's nice that they're pumping out some new series!

Ultramorph

I wonder if Tartarus is a name that winds up being given to LV-223 at some point, since that's the Greek underworld, it would make sense, especially since neighboring 426 winds up getting called Acheron, the river one had to cross to get into Tartarus.

Russ840

Quote from: Ultramorph on Dec 11, 2015, 11:31:22 AM
I wonder if Tartarus is a name that winds up being given to LV-223 at some point, since that's the Greek underworld, it would make sense, especially since neighboring 426 winds up getting called Acheron, the river one had to cross to get into Tartarus.

Nice bit of info there dude. Thanks. Good thought also.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Ultramorph on Dec 11, 2015, 11:31:22 AM

That's definitely an interesting notion and quite possible. I could see it being a battle over the accelerant cargo.

Personally I'd like them to keep away from LV-223 though. I don't want the same hands-tied feeling that Fire and Stone had to come across to Life and Death.

Whiskeybrewer

I'm really looking forward to this. Well the Marines of going to hell it seems lol ;)

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

I agree with hoping that this one is able to stand on its own more than FaS. Giving Abnett some room to flesh things out would be great, and I like that it seems that he'll be writing the whole thing. FaS had too many writers and editors. I hope they let him get really cosmic.

It will be interesting to see when this winds up being set, because I assume from Stradley's comments from months back that this was written with Alien 5 in mind. It might provide a bit of insight into what Blomkamp had in store. It will also be worth seeing if FaS gets referenced at all.

LordCassusSnow

This is rumor control here are the facts: Chapter 22 page 286-Hashori" Every yautja death is a tragedy, wiping out centuries of experience and history. Every death takes away part of that story. Now the yautja story is more denuded than it has ever been before, in all living memory". There are no archives mentioned. History seemes to be passed down by the oldest and most experienced elders who are now being killed off by the rage. There is also no homeworld mentioned which im fine with. These conversations should focus on the facts that have been given from whats actually canon and not fan fiction.

Corporal Hicks

I do believe there's a threat of humans knowing where the Predator homeworld is towards the end of the book though (a bluff). The implication seems to be that there is one, the Predators just don't know where it is anymore.

The Alien Predator

The Alien Predator

Utramorph...

This was the most exciting news to wake up to, pal.  ;D

I am so excited, I will definitely be ordering these at my local book shop! I love seeing more Yautja and Engineer interactions.

To add to the topic above, yeah, the Predators don't seem to know where their homeworld is and weren't even phased when Weyland-Yutani threatened to "nuke the f**k" out of their planet. Maybe they know where a Predator planet is, but not exactly their homeworld.

AvP2010 heavily implies they have no idea where it is, your clan leader questions if BG386 is "one of the Father-Worlds where our ancestors hunted so long ago?"

And the game manual straight out says the Predators are so ancients that their ancestry is lost to myth and legends. And yes, in AvP2010, the Predators put a huge value on memory just like Rage War Yautja do. "There is memory here in these very stones..." you hear your clan leader say this as you explore the Predator ruins.

So some elements from that may be fitted into Lebbon's Yautja. I only remember them cherishing memory and saying death is a tragedy. But a species that is FAR older than humanity, I doubt they'd be able to archive their history very accurately. Heck, we hardly know our own origins and we're only 200,000 years old as a species.

Does anyone know when this will be set in the timeline? Would it be decades after Fire and Stone? Or shortly after?

predxeno

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 11, 2015, 08:30:55 AM
Based on Elden's reaction to the Predators in Fire and Stone, I don't believe they're going down the road of the Engineers being the progenitors of the Predators. I do prefer that the Engineers not be single handedly responsible for every single variation of life in the galaxy.

Elden seemed to think to say that all life was created by the Engineers including the Predators, although this could just be him guessing and making assumptions.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed