Author
Poll: AvP vs AvPR (Read 684,717 times)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

High five Anderson!!! ;D

Puks

Puks

QuoteI'm detecting Alien fanboyism.

And one predator pwning dozens of retarded xenomorphs is fair? I am obviously referring to AvPR.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

It's funny to think that the movies should be respectively named Alien kicks Predator ass and Predator kicks Alien ass :D :D
The Impalements of the first movie are just epic. And no, I don't care for Gridalien's extending tail (altough I don't see it extending that much).

SamHain

SamHain

Quote from: Puks on Jan 24, 2010, 07:42:52 PM

And one predator pwning dozens of retarded xenomorphs is fair? I am obviously referring to AvPR.

None of the avp movies were fair

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Nothing is fair. Alien Kills Predator? Unfair. Predator Kills Alien? Unfair. Human Killing Both? Unfair. It's always unfair. Depends on your point of view.

SamHain

SamHain

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Jan 24, 2010, 08:03:10 PM
Nothing is fair. Alien Kills Predator? Unfair. Predator Kills Alien? Unfair. Human Killing Both? Unfair. It's always unfair. Depends on your point of view.

Grid using 3 meter magic tail to kill Gill = not fair(stupid)
Wolf holding 2 aliens by neck = not fair(stupid)
Predalien killing preds by suprise = fair
Scar/Wolf killing aliens with plasma caster = fair

Can you see the difference?

War Wager

War Wager

It's not so much 'fairness' that's the problem, it's wether they're in-character or not.

SM

SM

QuoteIt's always unfair. Depends on your point of view.

Yes.  It depends on whether one's point of view is reasonable or that of an idiot fanboy.

See above two posts.  If each of the titular characters puts up a decent fight, but dies.  Can't really argue.

Eidotemit

Eidotemit

Quote from: The Demon on Jan 24, 2010, 06:47:47 PM
Quote from: Puks on Jan 24, 2010, 06:35:29 PM
Quote1 alien taking out 2 preds thats bull

Captain, I am detecting large quantities of predator fanboyism in this sector.

I'm detecting Alien fanboyism.

Predator taking out two aliens at the same time = Okay.

Alien killing two preds at different times (one predator distracted and killed before it knew the alien was there, and the other predator barely defeated after a prolonged fight) = not okay.

And we're the fanboys?

Puks

Puks

Predator fans live in an illusion of superiority.

omfg a mindless bug killing two super sexy pussy-faced warrior gods that shit ain't khewl!!!!11

SamHain

SamHain

Quote from: Eidotemit on Jan 25, 2010, 02:15:10 AM

Predator taking out two aliens at the same time = Okay.

Alien killing two preds at different times (one predator distracted and killed before it knew the alien was there, and the other predator barely defeated after a prolonged fight) = not okay.

And we're the fanboys?

Gill was killed because of the Grid's 3 meter tail and  Celtic could have used his spear, shuriken, dagger, netgun in any moment of the fight to kill Grid but he decided to fight like some crazy berseker.

Quote from: Puks on Jan 25, 2010, 02:23:51 AM
Predator fans live in an illusion of superiority.

omfg a mindless bug killing two super sexy pussy-faced warrior gods that shit ain't khewl!!!!11

As long the preds' deatchs are logic I'm ok with it, Im pretty sure that most of the predator fans didn't have any problem with the alien queen killing Scar and the predalien killing the preds on the ship.

Puks

Puks

QuoteGill was killed because of the Grid's 3 meter tail

He got impaled from behind. Doesn't matter if the tail is one meter or one hundred meters long.

Eidotemit

Eidotemit

Aside from the tail goof, Gill would have died anyway. As for Celtic, his death was pretty much right in line with P1 and 2 where both those predators died from being overconfident.

Whereas in AvP:R there was maybe one alien death that made sense in the light of the source material.

SamHain

SamHain

Quote from: Puks on Jan 25, 2010, 02:41:29 AM

He got impaled from behind. Doesn't matter if the tail is one meter or one hundred meters long.

I 'm pretty sure that a normal alien tail wouldn't reach him from that distance but still the if Grid was closer and didn't lifted Gill it would be fine.

Quote from: Eidotemit on Jan 25, 2010, 02:41:54 AM

Whereas in AvP:R there was maybe one alien death that made sense in the light of the source material.

Wolf killed most of the aliens with long rage weapons(plama caster, shurikens), the aliens are danger in close combat but in long raged combat they dont have much change, even Ripley killed about 5 of them

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Quote from: SamHain on Jan 25, 2010, 02:36:27 AM
Gill was killed because of the Grid's 3 meter tail and  Celtic could have used his spear, shuriken, dagger, netgun in any moment of the fight to kill Grid but he decided to fight like some crazy berseker.

As long the preds' deatchs are logic I'm ok with it, Im pretty sure that most of the predator fans didn't have any problem with the alien queen killing Scar and the predalien killing the preds on the ship.

There's a certain sect of Predator fans that don't acknowledge the power of your basic Alien warrior, however. After all, your normal adult Alien is what the Alien fans really want to see. They don't want to see a Queen kick ass, or a Predalien slapping around unarmed civilians as much as they want to see Aliens doing their thing.

And if you take canonical evidence from the Alien saga, then you'll find that they're strong (even moreso than Predators), agile, stealthy, highly resilient (plasma thrusters, molten lead, pistol rounds to the face) and clever. A match for any Predator, especially considering that Pussyface went down in hand-to-hand combat to a cop and Anytime got scared shitless by Arnie's clever tactics.

That's what potentially so great about the Aliens vs. Predator franchise - tense battles that don't have a forgone conclusion and display the strengths (and weaknesses) of both species. The original comics were out of touch with the core concepts of both the Alien and the Predator and so were flawed representations. Only the first movie and the two PC FPS games have really gotten a respectable result in this regard, and they all display the Alien as a strong, resilient creature which is a threat to both humans and Predators irrespective of how many there are.

One Predator taking down two Aliens isn't 'logic' or a 'given'. It's poor, generalised narrative based on comics that failed to really capture what made the Aliens and Predators compelling in the first place. Not only does it trivialise the Aliens themselves, but the struggles of Ripley and the doomed souls around her. So an Alien fan feels confused when the Aliens become cannon fodder, because in the movies, if just one of those things got down here, all this, all this bullshit you think is so important? You can just kiss that all goodbye. But in the comics (and AvPR), civilian-issue pistols are highly effective weapons against them and humans can even defeat them in hand-to-hand combat.

Complete and utter ruination of both a wonderful saga and a compelling creature.

There's a different sect of Predator fan, too, but they're far too reasonable for me to complain about.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed