Started by xenomorph36, Dec 26, 2007, 04:38:16 PM

Which AvP movie do you like better?

AvP
AvPR
Author
Poll: AvP vs AvPR (Read 684,527 times)

The Shuriken

The Shuriken

I just realized something in AVPR. Both it and Alien 3 feature the previous movie's main character being a host for an Alien Queen.

Alien 3 had Ripley, and AVPR had Scar featuring the Predalien premature Queen. Well, if you chose to believe it was a young queen at least. :P

Bloodee Jacob

Bloodee Jacob

I'm a big fan of the Wolf predator, having defended him quite a bit in the past on this forum. I've also stuck up for AVPR in general a bit too. I have never disliked and especially never downright hated the AVP films like many others seem to. The Wolf predator is my favorite predator of all time, and he makes the movie to me. I admittedly have always preferred Predators to Aliens (xenomorphs), but I still feel like the writing and the idea of Wolf and other predators being highly experienced and battle tested enough to be able to easily kill most xenomorphs is possible within the world of the movies/comics (let's not turn this into another debate now and I'll try to stay on topic). I also liked how we actually seen a tiny bit of emotion out of him as well when he found his fellow hunter's bodies. From a brief sign of sadness to anger. You could even say after that it became both a mission and a personal objective of vengeance. I did like the Scar predator in AVP, but not on the same level. AVP obviously had a higher budget, and it showed in it's more appealing and interesting setting. I liked the snow conditions of AVP, but found the pyramid to get a bit repetitive and dull to look at as it went on. Although I did enjoy and was intrigued by the ancient flashbacks and the whole "rites of passage"/trial parts of it all. From AVPR I actually liked the whole "small town" idea in AVPR (feels closer to home and such), and I actually think there was a good dark tone that came along with it all as it got more and more overrun.

As far as acting goes, I'd say there was more quality in AVP's cast, but the general dialogue could get a bit boring. Where as most of the acting quality in AVPR wasn't overwhelmingly high, and the characters were generic. Dallas's reason for getting sent to prison that he doesn't regret could have been somewhat interesting, but it was never expanded upon or explored whatsoever. However I did find these humans in AVPR to be a bit more fun perhaps, despite them being written sort of like slasher victims. Despite it not being nearly on the same level as her performance as "Nora" on the TV series Being Human, I get a kick out of seeing Kristen Hager.

Concerning the special effects, AVP's were clearly of better quality where as AVPR's came off a bit more cheap and "slasher-esque". Although the slasher fan in me appreciates the increase of gore in it. I liked the return of the ridges to the xenomorphs design in AVPR, but overall preferred what they did in AVP. I won't disagree when it comes to the conclusion that AVP's aliens were handled better then in AVPR, but unlike some I thought how easily most of them were beaten made sense considering who Wolf was supposed to be (again not the place to debate about that again). I do prefer the alien queen over the predalien, but don't think the concept nor the design of the preadalien was actually bad at all. The design/makeup for Wolf in AVPR was MUCH better then those we seen in AVP (although I don't think they were awful, and the Elder's was quite good). I found the action in AVPR to be a bit more exciting and slightly more intense then what we got out of AVP. And yes the lighting of AVPR could have been brightened up and bit or been a bit more balanced, but it isn't so bad watching it on your own TV with your own settings or with a Blu-ray copy. I did like how the ending of AVP connected right into the setup of AVPR. It was unfortunate that the ending of AVPR itself was more of a generic "cop out" draw then anything else. However I found the final Wolf and predalien fight to be a pretty cool fight sequence. Would have been nice to have Wolf somehow know the town was going to be bombed and slip out in time with the characters maybe coming across what he arrived in and Wolf sort of meeting them again and subtly nodding or at least looking to them before flying off just before the military confronts the survivors after the "Are the monsters gone?" line still being used. That would just be my preferred fan ending.

I could go on and on and back and forth about this for hours. Overall though there are elements and parts of AVP that can be considered "better", but most of the time I usually find myself having more fun with and garnering more personal fan enjoyment out of Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem then Alien vs. Predator. So yeah I'm still joining the minority, and going against the majority here again.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

In regards to the first AvP, is there anyone out there who would take Charles Bishop Weyland over Peter Weyland?

I mean, I liked Charles Bishop Weyland as he was not the guy who you'd expect to be running the company which would become Weyland-Yutani. He was a father figure to Lex and seemed like a nice guy who cared (although cut-scenes show him showing his selfish side when Maxford Stanton confronts him about the death of a few men in his name) who wanted to leave one last impact before he died from his lung cancer. I got this more.. likeable and human quality from Charles.

Peter.. for a lack of a better term of work just came off as a prick with a God complex. And I am aware that was the way he was meant to be written but Peter for me was a guy who had a lot of swag but no real.. likability. Unlike Charles, Peter never really cared about anyone but himself and maybe David (I assume him creating David fed his massive ego).

Sure, both had similar goals to achieve immortality such as Charles wanting to be remembered through out history, and Peter wanting to become legitimate immortal but I just found that Charles died in believing something while accepting death as he tried to redeem himself for his mistakes while protecting Lex and Sebastian, where as Peter died believing in nothing as he failed in his attempts to achieve immortality.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Charles Weylad did come off more level headed and ethical than Peter Weyland, but at least Peter was not obsessed with Alien life forms like his successors would be.
One of the things I like about the first film is that Charles Weyland was a good man at heart even if he wanted to make his mark on the world but then don't a lot of people?

In regards to the Predators, all of them in all AVP movies were inept. I kinda like Wolf the best even if it was due to the design of him being better than the previous film's design but even he was even totally incompetent, he is pretty much responsible for what happened to the town as his terrible aim/misfiring resulted in the Aliens being unleashed from the sewers and later, the blackout  :laugh:

If I had to choose between the two films, I would say the first film, it had at least good ideas and maybe a chance for being a good film, though it was wasted, it makes it tragic actually as whereas AVP-R was a pile of rubbish with little to no redeeming qualties and so most don't give it a second thought, AVP did have the chance to be a good film and so you wonder what if or what could have been.

THE CITY HUNTER

THE CITY HUNTER

AVP had alright characters ( Lance Hendrikson was the best) had alright production and at least you could see and they put it in the most isolated place in the world AVPR was in a middle of a city!!!!!  and AVP tried to copy some parts of Alien and Aliens ( They investigate a signal then are trapped) in AVPR i couldnt see what was going on

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jan 15, 2015, 04:16:14 PM
In regards to the first AvP, is there anyone out there who would take Charles Bishop Weyland over Peter Weyland?

I certainly would. Henriksen's Weyland was more pragmatic and you could understand his motivations a lot more. He doesn't want to endanger people if it can be helped, but he is ambitious. He even puts himself deliberately in harm way to save others. I also liked the discussion he had with Lex about her father and what really matters in life (as he sees it).

The speech he gave to the crew was also a little more compelling in presentation style than the one the other Weyland's holographic self gave.

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jan 29, 2015, 05:57:46 PM
Charles Weylad did come off more level headed and ethical than Peter Weyland, but at least Peter was not obsessed with Alien life forms like his successors would be.

Really? He seemed to be so just as much - everyone was expendable and he took stupid risks (helmets coming off without bothering with any scientific tests, getting up close and personal with the Engineer and so on).

The other Weyland had ambition, but he seemed to have more common sense than that.

One was an ambitious explorer. The other seemed more like a rich guy stereotype.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

They both could have been done so, So much better but of the two AVP is the better one. In AVPR, the characters are just fodder, you don't get to really care about them at all. It could have been lit a bit more too

THE CITY HUNTER

THE CITY HUNTER

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Jul 11, 2015, 11:21:33 AM
They both could have been done so, So much better but of the two AVP is the better one. In AVPR, the characters are just fodder, you don't get to really care about them at all. It could have been lit a bit more too
I could not see the characters in the dim light ;)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

With all this Sigourney Weaver/Peter Briggs stuff and Omega and I discussing AvP recently I fancied watching it again. Popped the DVD in last night and watched the Extended Cut. I went into it trying not to be pissed off and managed to actually enjoy it. Normally I get kind of jaded/disappointed but going in actually wanting to not grind on every little thing helped. lol

I think the idea behind behind the combat (not the wrestling choreography) was largely spot on. The Aliens owned when the Predators weren't aware of their surroundings or being arrogant when they had the upper hand. Scar dominated at range when he finally got his shoulder cannon. When they were being smart the Predators were able to anticipate the Aliens strategy. Exactly as it should have been. I would have liked to have seen the acid blood play in it a little more and the fights be more primal and less WWF though.

The Aliens had a very slender appearance in some of the wider shots and that looked really nice, especially when they were jumping around. I liked that. Celtic looked somewhat less bulky when he first appears and instead more athletic (like the figures) which was a much nicer appearance.

The set design was great and the idea behind the pyramid was something I really liked. They could have used it better to get around the life cycle and to increase the tension/desperation with the characters.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

The life cycle i actually felt was too quick in AVP. its strange, because i thought it was meant to be 24 hours from Facehugged to Chestburst

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

It is. That's one of the criticisms. And what I mean by using the shifting pyramid is to keep them cut off for longer, to let the life cycle actually take as long as it did in the original films.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Thats right. soz miss read lol. It would have worked with the characters getting more desperate as they get cut off too. Imagine one character getting attacked by a load of chestbursters, would have been creepy

THE CITY HUNTER

THE CITY HUNTER

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Aug 10, 2015, 01:37:35 PM
Thats right. soz miss read lol. It would have worked with the characters getting more desperate as they get cut off too. Imagine one character getting attacked by a load of chestbursters, would have been creepy
Maybe they were unique type of facehuggers?

System Apollo

System Apollo

I wonder why the budget argument came up a lot in regards to the setting in the first one. Other than the alteration of a few scenes, they could have pulled off with the pyramid being on a colonized arctic planet. I guess Anderson really wanted it to be in Antarctica.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Producer Paul Davis wanted the story Earth-bound. Thought it'd make things more scary.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed