Cosmic horror in the Alien franchise

Started by Thatguy2068, Nov 16, 2023, 05:37:56 AM

Author
Cosmic horror in the Alien franchise (Read 6,840 times)

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: ralfy on Nov 17, 2023, 02:11:01 AMIf the term refers to what Lovecraft had in mind (that the universe is neutral and meaningless), then it's implied in part only at the end of the third movie (which was negated by the production of the fourth) and the prequels, which refer to cosmological origins, etc.

What if Robert Morse was an alien spy?

Thatguy2068

Thatguy2068

I do agree that the prequels does putting cosmic ideas, they sort of backtracked a bit. turning the space jockeys into a giant bald white dude is a bad idea on itself. Cosmic horror walks around with the unknown and things that are so The space jockey was unrecognizable biomechanical humanoid thing that had a elephant like head and arms and that's about it, we don't even know if it had legs or not, maybe grew out of the chair
That is so much more interesting than the engineers design which looks like an albino bald person, with final mechanical skin from the neck down. That to me sound like a downgrade.

Cosmic Incubation

Definitely agree that Scott's "expansion" on the jockey/engineers demystifies and detracts from their underlying cosmic horror in the original film. Although I don't hate the engineers tbh. I kind of just see the prequels as their own separate canon/interpretation.

What works well about Prometheus for me, in terms of cosmic horror, is the whole story of basically going to deep space to find our alien god creators, (with a secret ulterior motive of finding eternal life). And our hubris of thinking that they would welcome us with open arms is defied by finding out that not only do they not care about us, they actively despise and want to destroy us. And all the horror of lifeforms and technology that we don't understand along the way.

Don't think it's a perfect movie by any means, but that was always something I always enjoyed about it thematically, from a cosmic horror and gothic standpoint.

Peter Weyland whispering "There's nothing..." before dying, and after being denied his request for life and being attacked, always felt like one of those satisfyingly grim and gothic cosmic horror-ish moments in film for me.

But that's just my appreciation and interpretation of it.

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: Cosmic Incubation on Nov 17, 2023, 05:29:09 PMDefinitely agree that Scott's "expansion" on the jockey/engineers demystifies and detracts from their underlying cosmic horror in the original film. Although I don't hate the engineers tbh. I kind of just see the prequels as their own separate canon/interpretation.

What works well about Prometheus for me, in terms of cosmic horror, is the whole story of basically going to deep space to find our alien god creators, (with a secret ulterior motive of finding eternal life). And our hubris of thinking that they would welcome us with open arms is defied by finding out that not only do they not care about us, they actively despise and want to destroy us. And all the horror of lifeforms and technology that we don't understand along the way.

Don't think it's a perfect movie by any means, but that was always something I always enjoyed about it thematically, from a cosmic horror and gothic standpoint.

Peter Weyland whispering "There's nothing..." before dying, and after being denied his request for life and being attacked, always felt like one of those satisfyingly grim and gothic cosmic horror-ish moments in film for me.

But that's just my appreciation and interpretation of it.

A very mature take.

Local Trouble

Quote from: SiL on Nov 17, 2023, 05:59:04 AMRalfy hasn't seen the films.

The films and our posts have that in common.

Thatguy2068

Thatguy2068

Quote from: Cosmic Incubation on Nov 17, 2023, 05:29:09 PMReply: 17
Agreed, prometheus did have its flaws but it wasn't that bad of a movie, it brought out some interesting ideas to the table like the black goo and the concept of creator and creation. I do wish that alien engineer was the movie we got, not just because it had aliens in it but it depicted Space jockeys more as them cosmic gods then wish we eventually got. I'm not saying that the engineers was a truly terrible concept they do have some interesting ideas on their own, but it's just them making the space jockeys og design a suit is an idea that shouldn't be considered. I don't believe that the engineer should be reckoned out of existence but I can see that engineers and space jockey can live in the same universe as separate entities.

oduodu

"I don't believe that the engineer should be reckoned out of existence but I can see that engineers and space jockey can live in the same universe as separate entities."

yes this

with david alluding to this added in to what covenant is would have redeemed covenant for me cuz everybody happy.

Thatguy2068

Thatguy2068

Quote from: oduodu on Nov 18, 2023, 01:31:45 AM"I don't believe that the engineer should be reckoned out of existence but I can see that engineers and space jockey can live in the same universe as separate entities."

yes this

with david alluding to this added in to what covenant is would have redeemed covenant for me cuz everybody happy.
When did David alluding to this? I haven't seen covenant in a while.

ralfy

ralfy

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Nov 17, 2023, 03:10:23 PM
Quote from: ralfy on Nov 17, 2023, 02:11:01 AMIf the term refers to what Lovecraft had in mind (that the universe is neutral and meaningless), then it's implied in part only at the end of the third movie (which was negated by the production of the fourth) and the prequels, which refer to cosmological origins, etc.

What if Robert Morse was an alien spy?

https://i.ibb.co/c6sdXvg/1494230724-alien-covenant-engineers-1.jpg
There's a more detailed definition here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovecraftian_horror

QuoteLovecraftian horror, sometimes used interchangeably with "cosmic horror",[2] is a subgenre of horror fiction and weird fiction that emphasizes the horror of the unknowable and incomprehensible[3] more than gore or other elements of shock.[4] It is named after American author H. P. Lovecraft (1890–1937). His work emphasizes themes of cosmic dread, forbidden and dangerous knowledge, madness, non-human influences on humanity, religion and superstition, fate and inevitability, and the risks associated with scientific discoveries,[5] which are now associated with Lovecraftian horror as a subgenre.[6] The cosmic themes of Lovecraftian horror can also be found in other media, notably horror films, horror games, and comics.

In light of that is cosmicism, which is also defined in the same entry:

QuoteThe hallmark of Lovecraft's work is cosmicism, the sense that ordinary life is a thin shell over a reality that is so alien and abstract in comparison that merely contemplating it would damage the sanity of the ordinary person,[12] insignificance and powerlessness at the cosmic scale,[14] and uncompromising negativity.[15] Author China Miéville notes that "Lovecraft's horror is not one of intrusion but of realization. The world has always been implacably bleak; the horror lies in our acknowledging that fact."[16] Lovecraft's work is also steeped in the insular feel of rural New England,[17][18] and much of the genre continues to maintain this sense that "that which man was not meant to know" might be closer to the surface of ordinary life outside of the crowded cities of modern civilization.[citation needed]

But there are more details here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmicism

QuoteCosmicism and human centric views of the universe are incompatible.[2][9] Cosmicism shares many characteristics with nihilism, though one important difference is that cosmicism tends to emphasize the insignificance of humanity and its doings, rather than summarily rejecting the possible existence of some higher purpose (or purposes); e.g., in Lovecraft's Cthulhu stories. It is not the absence of meaning that causes terror for the protagonists, as it is their discovery that they have absolutely no power to change anything in the vast, indifferent universe that surrounds them. In Lovecraft's stories, whatever meaning or purpose may be invested in the actions of the cosmic beings is completely inaccessible to the human characters.[10]

Lovecraft's cosmicism was a result of his feeling of humanity's existential helplessness in the face of what he called the "infinite spaces" opened up by scientific thought, and his belief that humanity was fundamentally at the mercy of the vastness and emptiness of the cosmos.[11] In his fictional works, these ideas are often explored humorously ("Herbert West–Reanimator," 1922), through fantastic dream-like narratives (The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath, 1927), or through his well-known Cthulhu Mythos ("The Call of Cthulhu," 1928, and others). Common themes related to cosmicism in Lovecraft's fiction are the insignificance of humanity in the universe[12] and the search for knowledge ending in disaster.[13]

The difference between this and nihilism is that the latter sees the universe as materialistic. Lovecraft was a materialist but created the Cthulhu Mythos to show that the gods are uncaring and that all protagonists are helpless before them:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._P._Lovecraft

QuoteA non-literary inspiration came from then-contemporary scientific advances in biology, astronomy, geology, and physics.[174] Lovecraft's study of science contributed to his view of the human race as insignificant, powerless, and doomed in a materialistic and mechanistic universe.[175] Lovecraft was a keen amateur astronomer from his youth, often visiting the Ladd Observatory in Providence, and penning numerous astronomical articles for his personal journal and local newspapers.[176] Lovecraft's materialist views led him to espouse his philosophical views through his fiction; these philosophical views came to be called cosmicism. Cosmicism took on a more pessimistic tone with his creation of what is now known as the Cthulhu Mythos, a fictional universe that contains alien deities and horrors. The term "Cthulhu Mythos" was likely coined by later writers after Lovecraft's death.[1] In his letters, Lovecraft jokingly called his fictional mythology "Yog-Sothothery".[177]

The implication, then, is that he wrote these tales to entertain readers with gore, fantasy, and fear, but his real intention was to create the greater fear that all of these are imaginary and that the universe is faceless and meaningless.

I'm not sure if that's seen in the Alien franchise, although the closest I saw was the end of the third movie. The prequels, in turn, deal with cosmic origins themes, just like in several of Lovecraft's stories, and cosmic horror appears to be implied, e.g., human protagonists facing bewildering forces beyond their control.

oduodu

Quote from: Thatguy2068 on Nov 18, 2023, 01:44:00 AM
Quote from: oduodu on Nov 18, 2023, 01:31:45 AM"I don't believe that the engineer should be reckoned out of existence but I can see that engineers and space jockey can live in the same universe as separate entities."

yes this

he didnt. i am saying i wanted that in covenant.

Thatguy2068

Quote from: oduodu on Nov 18, 2023, 09:00:22 AM

yes this

Oh ok, yeah that would be very cool if they did that.

oduodu

Quote from: Thatguy2068 on Nov 18, 2023, 09:16:16 AM

yes this

👍

Thatguy2068

Thatguy2068

Quote from: oduodu on Nov 18, 2023, 09:34:21 AM
Quote from: Thatguy2068 on Nov 18, 2023, 09:16:16 AM

yes this

👍
👍

Is it a good idea to add more cosmic creatures that are separated from the xenomorph and the space jockeys within the universe, or is that going to far?

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Thatguy2068 on Nov 18, 2023, 09:45:00 AMIs it a good idea to add more cosmic creatures that are separated from the xenomorph and the space jockeys within the universe

No. Space Jockeys can have endless variety as a race of biomechanoids without adding in unrelated species that would probably just end up as tentacle monsters or interdimensional Ferengi anyway.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Thatguy2068 on Nov 18, 2023, 12:34:32 AM
Quote from: Cosmic Incubation on Nov 17, 2023, 05:29:09 PMReply: 17
I don't believe that the engineer should be reckoned out of existence but I can see that engineers and space jockey can live in the same universe as separate entities.

I think the same. In fact, I don't think that Engineers are a great 'crime' to the lore, or anything like that. They're cool and welcome, like the Neomorphs, and they can coexist with future recontextualizations of the universe.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed