Character family dynamic?

Started by NickisSmart, Mar 17, 2015, 01:07:59 PM

Author
Character family dynamic? (Read 4,251 times)

Close Encounters

Close Encounters

Personally, I'm fine if all three of them die in Alien V, so long as it's

A. Not in the damned opening credits.
B. Serves the purposes of the story, not to just unload extra narrative weight.
and most importantly,
C. They had at least some form of happiness in the interim. I mean, 30 years of living as a family is more than enough payoff after the ending of Aliens. My biggest issue with Alien 3(besides that damned magical egg) was that it wiped out all the character development done in Aliens. That mother-daughter relationship with Ripley and Newt? Gone. So sad. The 'thing' she may have had going with Hicks? Not even mentioned. The grudging respect Ripley had for Bishop? Pssh, who cares? To me, why even bother with Aliens if you're going in the direction Alien 3 went? The only purpose that movie serves is to introduce the idea of the Queen. Other than that, it serves little narrative or emotional purpose to what happens in Alien 3.

I've always felt that Alien 3 is a wonderful sequel. To Alien. If they made that movie occur with Ripley still being the Nostromo's lifeboat, no Newt, Hicks or Bishop. You could even justify the egg on the lifeboat due to the eggmorphing technique from the Special Edition of Alien. But as a sequel to Aliens, Alien 3 just didn't work, IMO.

Feeds On Minds

Feeds On Minds

I hope that if Hicks and Newt(most retarded name ever) are in it; that they die in the first 5 minutes in most gruesome and painful way possible.  The LAST thing this film needs is some cheesy happily ever after family unite scenario; leave that shit for the Lifetime Channel.

Close Encounters

Close Encounters

Quote from: Feeds On Minds on Mar 18, 2015, 06:25:25 PM
I hope that if Hicks and Newt(most retarded name ever) are in it; that they die in the first 5 minutes in most gruesome and painful way possible.  The LAST thing this film needs is some cheesy happily ever after family unite scenario; leave that shit for the Lifetime Channel.

Got a movie that's right up your alley....

I'll admit that being crushed by a support beam(unconscious) and drowning(conscious) may not be the most painful ways possible, but given the circumstances of the EEV crash, they served fairly well.

Personally, I hope Blomkamp goes with something that HASN'T been done before.

NetworkATTH

NetworkATTH

The "family" solution, isn't something I'm interested in, it should be left to implications. In other words, something the characters would rather fight for. An ideal in a world that has no room for ideals.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Yeah, I don't know if the family thing worked exactly. I can see Ripley and Newt having a thing, but maybe Ripley and Hicks would be more  akin to the "attraction during survival" thing and not work out in the long haul? Hicks, more than Ripley, is likely to be f*cked up after Aliens. The sole survivor of his entire unit. All his comrades, some of them very obviously close friends like Frost, and he's the only one left. I could see that making him a very bitter veteran. Perfectly in keeping with the Vietnam motif of Aliens, and also very fitting of what we're seeing in modern day war time.

Quote from: Close Encounters on Mar 18, 2015, 07:00:25 PM
I'll admit that being crushed by a support beam(unconscious) and drowning(conscious) may not be the most painful ways possible, but given the circumstances of the EEV crash, they served fairly well.

I'm not convinced Newt was unconscious like Clemens said. The pose she's shown within her cryo tube is that of someone who was pounding and screaming as they died. (Eyes open, mouth agape, hand pressed to the tube.) They didn't just kill those characters off. They murdered the shit out of them. They brutalised them. Hick's corpse is particularly gruesome. (You can make out part of his jaw, teeth hanging out of it... Jesus.)

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

James Cameron's film basically ended in such a way that gave the impression that Hicks was going to get together with Ripley and they were going to raise Newt together.  It was a sort of fairy tale ending with fairy tale music even.  It basically ended as a Disney film.  I am ok with that.  They should follow James Cameron's vision to the max.  Of course within the context of this family unit, the Alien should resurface as an antagonist.  I would hesitate to make Newt or Hicks or Ripley disappear during the film at any time.  Instead, they should be central characters going forward...

Close Encounters

Close Encounters

Quote from: OpenMaw on Mar 18, 2015, 07:13:18 PM
Quote from: Close Encounters on Mar 18, 2015, 07:00:25 PM

I'm not convinced Newt was unconscious like Clemens said. The pose she's shown within her cryo tube is that of someone who was pounding and screaming as they died. (Eyes open, mouth agape, hand pressed to the tube.) They didn't just kill those characters off. They murdered the shit out of them. They brutalised them. Hick's corpse is particularly gruesome. (You can make out part of his jaw, teeth hanging out of it... Jesus.)

You posting this made me look it up again. Haven't seen A3 for about ten years. And DAMN, I don't remember the pictures being as gruesome as they were.  The shot of Newt's tube with her mouth agape, a look of horror on her face. Not to mention the second shot of Hicks' corpse. The first was bad enough. But the close-up? Holy hell, Fox was more cold-blooded in their execution than I ever gave them credit for. I stand corrected, sir.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Well guys, maybe the family thing didn't work out, Hicks is in jail for spousal abuse and alcohol related problems due to the trauma suffered in aliens. Ripley now has 6 more kids from 4 different fathers and Newt's VP at WY; head of bioweapons research. Bishop is a docent at the artificial persons museum.

Therefor the girl Ripley saved is now out hunting for the monster of her childhood; purely for evil reasons and guess what, she found them and is now engineering new and creative ways of mass murder. Rips finds out and knows that she has to be stop. In the chaos of the matter Ripley sympathizes with the aliens in captivity and decides they are the ones that should be saved, not humans. yada yada, stupendous.  :laugh:

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Given how Blomkamp handled the family dynamic in Chappie, I could see him trying to tackle the film in a similar direction...

Alien³

Alien³

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Alien³ on Mar 19, 2015, 12:09:28 AM
http://replygif.net/i/317.gif

Lol.  Why do you want things to be so sad and depressing?

Alien³

Alien³

I don't.

But the idea of these characters becoming something like the Mcclain family is sad and depressing.

I'm sure Blomkamp isn't that naive.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

No I don't think he'd be that naïve either but when you consider Aliens, it was really a movie about family.  That was what gave it so much strength.  So many people say that Aliens was just a shoot-em-up celebration of machine gun fire, but there was actually a lot of depth there.  There was a great allegorical comparison between the mother-child relationship of the Aliens as well as of Ripley and Newt.  It was a grand duel of the mothers.  We were fully brought into Ripley's family circle when Ripley cried out "get away from her you bitch!"  It would be really inhuman to ignore the whole family angle.  This is why Alien 3 had such a poor reception.  No offence.  Don't underestimate the value of family.

Another film that literally mirrors Aliens is the original Jurrasic Park.  Yes, everybody loved the dinosaurs but it was the closeness of family that held that movie together.  People who were watching that film were instantly able to connect by being in the shoes of the scared little kids.  That's where the magic is at.

Xhan

Xhan

Space Family Robinson doesn't really fit the Alien universe.

Quotemagic

Yeah that's where pg rated disney magic is at; you'll notice they run JP/2/3 on AMC with two language edits and very little else cut out of it, even people being chomped in half and the like.

JP isn't Aliens, they are at best thematically distant cousins who share nods from across the room.

Alien3 had a poor reception because it had a literally slapped together plot, an overplethora of similarly bald british character actors no one in america outside of drama geeks had ever heard of, and it was blatantly misadvertised as "Aliens II: the more bitcherest bitcher is backerest backier", which turned out to be utter bullshit.

Go look up the promos on youtube.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: Xhan on Mar 19, 2015, 03:31:20 AM
Go look up the promos on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei7IvP8Qzqo#ws

Tries so hard to play it up as an action piece, even reusing bits of the Aliens soundtrack and showing us right of Lance Henriksen and all the rest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4xqxWhCZ6A#ws

Three times, the bullsh*t!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb_-7u2H6Uk#ws

This one is a little better. At least it uses music that isn't from Aliens, and it showcases moreso Fincher's directorial style.

The initial teaser for Alien 3 in particular is such bullshit.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed