General Film Thread

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Nov 14, 2023, 05:35:13 PM

Author
General Film Thread (Read 3,930 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Been kicking around the idea of making a thread like this for a while, figured it's something we could definitely use for discussing stuff about movies (or about the industry) that isn't necessarily tied down to the thread of a specific film.

Like, for starters, the fallout of Zaslav/Warner Bros writing off yet another one of their completed films for tax purposes...

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1724154450829357064

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1724835695494123999

Latest batch of Criterion releases have been announced. Cannot wait to get my hands on The Heroic Trio.

Also, I haven't seen The Roaring Twenties, but given the talent involved and the synopsis, that one ought to be right up my alley. Will likely be blind-buying that.

Also, while on the topic of Criterion, their twice-annual 50% off sale at Barnes & Noble is currently ongoing. Putting together a list of titles I want to grab before the sale is up.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Moby Dick-like Kaiju

There is a legend with similar tropes in Japanese folklore apparently:

Quote from: WikipediaThe Bake-kujira (化鯨, ghost whale) is a mythical Japanese yōkai (ghost, phantom, or strange apparition) from western Japan.

▶️ Bake-kujira

Quote from: NON-ALIEN CREATURES WIKIThe bake-kujira, or ghost-whale, is the skeletal spirit of a dead whale.

▶️ Bake Kujira

BringbackJonesy!

BringbackJonesy!

Having been a huge movie buff since a youngster, I continue to visit the cinema for an initial big screen experience of anything new I'm interested in.

However, I'm glad I've steadily built up a collection of my absolute favourite movies (and tv shows) on physical media over the years.  And while some will likely never appear on Blu-ray, let alone 4K HD, just having certain titles available on DVD whenever I have an urge for a nostalgic re-watch is worth it's weight in gold to me.

Although there's ways to watch plenty of movies and tv shows in good quality through streaming, I mainly only do that for stuff that's likely going to be a one-time watch for me.  But the only way I'm GUARANTEED to be able to access ALL of my favourites whenever I wish for the rest of my lifetime (as well as being able to share them with my family), is by actually owning them.

And although I used to be a 'completist' where collecting some of my favourite 'franchises' went, these days I just compile my OWN 'canon' to exclude any prequels, sequels, spin-offs and episodes I'd rather ignore....and the various 'streaming services' are very welcome to discard those too or put them on an 'indefinite moratorium' if they wish, as far as I'm concerned! ;D

In short, I'm with Nolan and del Toro.  Physical media for the WIN for the rest of my days.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from:  Variety"Wish" is aiming to reverse the fortunes of several underperforming Disney's 2023 tentpoles, including "The Marvels," "Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny," "The Haunted Mansion" remake, "The Little Mermaid" and "Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania."

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1726972722503127322

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Nov 21, 2023, 06:03:28 PM
Quote from:  Variety"Wish" is aiming to reverse the fortunes of several underperforming Disney's 2023 tentpoles, including "The Marvels," "Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny," "The Haunted Mansion" remake, "The Little Mermaid" and "Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania."

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1726972722503127322

f**king awful to hear, what an atrocious film.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Christopher Nolan via Indie Wire via Associated Press"There's always a balance in Hollywood between established titles that can assure a return in audience and give people more of what they want, that's always been a big part of the economics of Hollywood," Nolan said. "And it pays for lots of other types of films to be made and distributed."

Nolan also emphasized that moviegoers still crave originality and the thrill of discovering something truly new. The filmmaker explained that, in his view, Hollywood needs to rely on a balance between franchises and originality.

"But there also always needs to be respect for the audience's desire for something new... One of the big thrills of going to the movies is, frankly, seeing a trailer for a movie you've never heard of, type of movie you haven't seen." he said.  "A healthy ecosystem in Hollywood is about a balance between the two things and always has been."

https://twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1728443564399686127

nanison

nanison

Quote from: BringbackJonesy! on Nov 21, 2023, 03:22:18 AMHaving been a huge movie buff since a youngster, I continue to visit the cinema for an initial big screen experience of anything new I'm interested in.

However, I'm glad I've steadily built up a collection of my absolute favourite movies (and tv shows) on physical media over the years.  And while some will likely never appear on Blu-ray, let alone 4K HD, just having certain titles available on DVD whenever I have an urge for a nostalgic re-watch is worth it's weight in gold to me.

Although there's ways to watch plenty of movies and tv shows in good quality through streaming, I mainly only do that for stuff that's going to be a one-time watch for me.  But the only way I'm GUARANTEED to be able to access ALL of my favourites whenever I wish for the rest of my lifetime (as well as being able to share them with my family), is by actually owning them.

And although I used to be a 'completist' where collecting some of my favourite 'franchises' went, these days I just compile my OWN 'canon' to exclude any prequels, sequels, spin-offs and episodes I'd rather ignore....and the various 'streaming services' are very welcome to discard those too or put them on an 'indefinite moratorium' if they wish, as far as I'm concerned! ;D

In short, I'm with Nolan and del Toro.  Physical media for the WIN for the rest of my days.

I'm very different. I don't own any movie because I would most likely never watch it again. My ideal evening is when a film I like is broadcasted on tv, this doesn't happen all that much, I think TV should schedule way more films than they do now.
It feels different to me, the anticipation all week long when they will broadcast a film I wanna see badly or wanne re watch badly it's a good feeling, something popping in a dvd doesn't match for some reason.
I know it doesn't make a lot of sense though  ;D

As for cinemas I think it is too expensive and I don't like going there, you know like literally going places to watch a film, getting ready, then commuting, then sitting next to strangers. It is also less appealing. I'd need to drive (and I hate driving, very stressful undertaking imo) a good 20 km to a cinema complex. It's not very appealing to me.

Unfortunately tv is riddled with reality tv and repeats of old tv shows and not films

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1729924204441555017

Can't wait 'til Zaslav isn't running WB anymore... :-\

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Interesting reading.

Quote from: Natalie Portman via EW"When you go there and when you go into places that her movie is exploring — and trying to get into the mindset and the heart of someone who's committing a crime — what does that do to you?" she continues. "How does it affect you? How does it affect your morality and your ethics? Can art actually be immoral? Can you depict a crime without somehow endorsing it or exploiting it?"

https://twitter.com/EW/status/1731690576037191911

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

One of my friends was talking to me about this today actually.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed