Alien TV Series From Noah Hawley and Ridley Scott CONFIRMED

Started by Nukiemorph, Dec 10, 2020, 11:03:29 PM

Author
Alien TV Series From Noah Hawley and Ridley Scott CONFIRMED (Read 213,651 times)

HuDaFuK

Quote from: seattle24 on Oct 15, 2021, 08:13:34 AMThink my hype has kinda just plummeted with the confirmation. Why is he serving as an Executive Producer on a show whose titular character is "cooked", in his own words?

As others have said, an executive producer credit doesn't mean he'll be heavily involved.

Of course, there are instances where the exec producer has had a big influence on whatever it is they're producing (e.g. Michael Mann on Miami Vice) but often it's just the person putting up the biggest share of cash.

The8thPassenger

The8thPassenger

Someone has to remind Ridley Scott, that putting the Monster into a bad movie, it will not sell make it sell. Prometheus was superior as a movie to the Covenant. The latter was a clear cash grab for a movie with a-straight-to-dvd script.

SiL

Executive Producers are people whose contributions are invaluable, but don't necessarily perform a specific role.

For example, Sigourney Weaver got the credit in Alien 3 and Resurrection because they wouldn't make the movies without her.

It does give them a say in things, but they're typically not pulling all the strings.

seattle24

seattle24

Quote from: SiL on Oct 15, 2021, 11:04:05 AM
Executive Producers are people whose contributions are invaluable, but don't necessarily perform a specific role.

For example, Sigourney Weaver got the credit in Alien 3 and Resurrection because they wouldn't make the movies without her.

It does give them a say in things, but they're typically not pulling all the strings.

Weaver was pretty specific about there being no guns in Alien 3 and going back to the horror/mystery of one Alien, too - though I can't remember if that was her influence as an Ex. Producer or whether she was just a fan of that from the scripts? (I also know she's anti-guns)

SiL

That was one of her conditions for returning, although scripts had already started doing that. It's not like she removed guns from the script after they were written in

seattle24

Quote from: SiL on Oct 15, 2021, 11:16:43 AM
That was one of her conditions for returning, although scripts had already started doing that. It's not like she removed guns from the script after they were written in

Yep. I'm just going to take encouragement from Hicks' comment that Noah Hawley is the guy in this - can't ask for much more than that at this stage.

TheBATMAN

I don't think Scott is being intentionally disrespectful to Hawley or the TV show. I'm sure Hawley knows himself deep down that whatever he comes up with will likely not compare to the legacy and lasting appeal of the original film.

However, I find Scott's comments about Covenant amusing. I recall in the build up to release, Scott was so confident of its success that the sequel was already written and he said he'd be ready to go with it in 14 months. It was also around this time he was talking of multiple sequels. This sounds like he believed Covenant would be much better received than Prometheus so it goes to show his comments here about being proved right with Prometheus' box office are a little hollow.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Oct 15, 2021, 11:43:27 AM
I don't think Scott is being intentionally disrespectful to Hawley or the TV show. I'm sure Hawley knows himself deep down that whatever he comes up with will likely not compare to the legacy and lasting appeal of the original film.

Ridley can say things like"I hope the fans will enjoy it. Noah is hard at work on it" yada yada yada. Instead he says " "It'll never be as good as the first one, that's what I'll say." Yeah, that sounds like a dis to me. :laugh:

I wish the interviewer responded... "uh, Aliens is just as good as the first. Maybe even better." Imagine the look Ridley would shoot him! :laugh:

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Oct 15, 2021, 09:39:15 AM
Quote from: seattle24 on Oct 15, 2021, 08:13:34 AMThink my hype has kinda just plummeted with the confirmation. Why is he serving as an Executive Producer on a show whose titular character is "cooked", in his own words?

As others have said, an executive producer credit doesn't mean he'll be heavily involved.

Of course, there are instances where the exec producer has had a big influence on whatever it is they're producing (e.g. Michael Mann on Miami Vice) but often it's just the person putting up the biggest share of cash.

Yeah, I've read it's sometimes even goes the other way around, where cash is given to a well known name to become an executive producer, because that known name brings clout, legitimacy, and can be used to secure big financing.

Often credits can be just contractual too. Just look at David Giler and Walter Hill's ever present Producer Credits.

Stitch

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Oct 15, 2021, 12:12:42 PM

Ridley can say things like"I hope the fans will enjoy it. Noah is hard at work on it" yada yada yada. Instead he says " "It'll never be as good as the first one, that's what I'll say." Yeah, that sounds like a dis to me. :laugh:
Thing is, he's probably right. None of the subsequent movies have been as good as the first one, and the series probably won't be, either.

Doesn't mean it won't be better than everything since. Although, there's a good chance it won't, just on balance.

TheBATMAN

Again, I think his comments are tongue in cheek. I dont think he was intentionally trying to put the project down. He probably harbours a little bitterness perhaps because the studio have gone in a different direction, but I wouldnt read anything more than that into his comments really.

Nightmare Asylum

Again, Ridley is the man that cited two of his own films among the best ever made in the genre. :D His ego knows no bounds - and is honestly part of his charm. I love that, at this stage in his career, he's just totally unfiltered in what he says and how he says it, but more importantly, he backs it up with his constant stream of pretty good to great work (granted, with a few misses as well). I can't wait to see The Last Duel as soon as possible, and House of Gucci next month.

I do think Ridley's words here were mostly said in jest (they are very much in line with his usual snarky brand of humor), but really, they are almost certainly going to ring true as well. No matter how great this may wind up being, what are the odds that it is it really going to actually dethrone Alien for any of us? With the exception of Aliens for a sizable portion of the audience, nothing else really has. Why should this be different?

Ridley's EP role here is unfortunately probably nowhere near as hands on as his EP role on Raised By Wolves, a show in which helped directly set the tone by directing the first two episodes and was hands-on in contributing design concepts for the remainder of season one (and even the upcoming season two, I believe). There are, however, rumblings that Ridley's son Luke may be directing some episodes of this show, however, so who knows how far Ridley's tendrils actually do reach....

I'm happy to have Ridley confirmed as EP, and I'm looking forward to this as Noah Hawley's own read on the material with, perhaps, some tangential influence from Ridley Scott, which I'll gladly take since I'm very fond of Ridley's most recent stab at the franchise in Alien: Covenant (and appreciate/enjoy a lot of things about Prometheus, despite the film being an absolute mess). I do still long for a proper Covenant sequel, but I think it is pretty apparent at this point that we won't be getting that, so I'll take little bursts of Ridley involvement where I can get it, for as long as I can get it - especially if it means we're going to see some elements in the spirit of the prequels, even if the connection isn't as direct as, say, seeing David or acknowledging his involvement in the creation of the Alien. And if someone comes in and steamrolls over Ridley's ideas in the future, well, so be it! This is a franchise that is quite literally built on new filmmakers coming in and subverting/upending what the previous ones did, and that's one of the reasons I find that the franchise has stayed so fresh for six films now - each one is really approached with a totally unique perspective (even though three of them share a director in Ridley). I hope that with this show, regardless of Ridley's own level of involvement, Hawley isn't afraid to take some real risks with what he has at his disposal. Ridley certainly wouldn't be afraid to, as proved by his rather controversial decisions that he made in his most recent two outings.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Stitch on Oct 15, 2021, 12:23:25 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Oct 15, 2021, 12:12:42 PM

Ridley can say things like"I hope the fans will enjoy it. Noah is hard at work on it" yada yada yada. Instead he says " "It'll never be as good as the first one, that's what I'll say." Yeah, that sounds like a dis to me. :laugh:
Thing is, he's probably right. None of the subsequent movies have been as good as the first one, and the series probably won't be, either.

I would say "Aliens" is. But while I feel "Aliens" is the better film (and I'm guessing you probably feel "Alien" is) we have to remove our feelings from the equation and look at the overall consensus that general audiences go gaga over both films and treat them as equally great. So we can't disqualify that... even if one might not personally agree with it.

Now if Ridley Scott directed "Predator" and was saying the very same thing about his Predator film, well... now he can get away with being more cocky about it, because the first film stands alone on an island with the great majority of audiences... regardless how much I heap praises upon "Predator 2" .  :laugh:

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Oct 15, 2021, 12:50:21 PM
Again, Ridley is the man that cited two of his own films among the best ever made in the genre. :D His ego knows no bounds - and is honestly part of his charm.

Ridley loves tooting the Ridley horn!  :laugh:

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: Trash Queen on Oct 15, 2021, 09:15:58 AM
Don't okay and adequate mean the same thing?

Like for real, Ridley Scott saying, all the sequels are just okay?

Nightmare Asylum

The last time I remember Ridely talking about any of the post-Jimbo sequels, I seem to remember him saying something along the lines of: Wasn't one of them set in a prison?

I don't remember his exact phrasing but that was the gist of it, which I think about says it all, as far as how much he's concerned about the compatability between films.

There was also his comment to Damon Lindelof back in the Prometheus days about not caring that AVP already did a Weyland founding figure.

LV-12986

I genuinely just thinks he's doesn't want a film or tv series to be as successful as the first movie, with all due respect it would take a lot to better the first film but I still feel the fall of Blomkamps movie was Scotts doing on an agenda of knowing it would have a better turnout than any alien prequel movie.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed