Last Movie You Watched

Started by Terx2, Dec 05, 2012, 05:12:31 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched (Read 844,739 times)

Prez

Prez

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Oct 15, 2018, 10:44:45 AM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Oct 15, 2018, 10:43:33 AM

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Oct 15, 2018, 10:34:25 AMBlack Hawk Down
A great Ridley Scott film. Great ensemble and a story well told. The amount of Brits in the cast too lol

Been meaning to rewatch that for ages. It's the very young Tom Hardy that always gets me!

Theres so many people you have to watch it twice for that alone

One Aussie (with a bad American accent) in there too ;-)

The Old One

The Old One

The conclusion underwent revision because of test audience criticism.  :(

MudButt

MudButt

Caught First Man and Bad Times at the El Royale this weekend.

Both films have GREAT directing going on as well as some great performances.

First Man opens up great and ends even better. Unfortunately the 2nd act does slow down a bit too much for me and other than Ryan Gosling and Claire Foy, nobody else gets a ton to do. All of the supporting cast does good work but you don't get to really know the people. The movie is called First Man though so it is primarily about Neil Armstrong and you do get to know the guy. Claire Foy probably does the best in the movie because she's given much more of an emotional range to work with while Gosling is pretty much one-note the entire movie but he does it great. The visuals are top notch and the moon-landing scene is gorgeous.

Bad Time at the El Royale is not at all what I expected. It's essentially Goddard doing Tarantino but with much less profanity and violence (although it does get a bit bloody towards the end so don't worry). The cast is great but the stand outs are Jeff Bridges and Cynthia Erivo. The soundtrack works wonders for the film and the way he navigates each characters backstories is pretty neat. Jon Hamm and Chris Hemsworth were the two I was most excited about going in and I did feel they didn't shine as bright as I had hoped. Hemsworth has charisma and we all know that at this point but his character was predictable and Hamm starts off really great but I wish he had been in the movie more.

Overall I enjoyed both films quite a bit. This is my favorite time of year when we get some of these genre films and award contenders.

First Man 8/10
Bad Times at the El Royale 8.5/10

Stillmatic

Stillmatic

Gravity (2013)   

It looks fantastic but this has to be at the very least the most overrated movie of 2013, it's just mediocre. I haven't seen it in 3D but it doesn't matter how amazing the 3D is because that alone cannot make a film great. What about when the character Ryan tells the tragic story about what happened to her daughter, George Clooney's character says absolutely nothing to her lol...weird. I couldn't helping thinking as well that it would have been better if she had drowned at the very end...if nothing else it would have at least made the movie less forgettable.  5/10

Red Eye (2005)   

The middle section of this movie when they are on the plane is very good so it's a shame it doesn't last longer, the ending is a bit seen it all before/predictable. The performances of Cillian Murphy and Rachel McAdams are good and overall Red Eye is decent enough but not very memorable. 6.5/10

Overboard (1987)  

I probably last watched this when I was a kid. I was kinda digging the opening music by Alan Silvestri, giving off a little Flight of the Navigator vibe. Overall this movie hasn't aged well...a few laughs but nowhere near enough.  3/10

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Stillmatic on Oct 15, 2018, 10:14:28 PMGravity (2013)   

It looks fantastic but this has to be at the very least the most overrated movie of 2013, it's just mediocre.

I thought that was awesome the first time I saw it, but it doesn't really hold up to repeat viewing for me.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Hell or High Water
Absolutely amazing. Missed this at the cinema a few years ago, but finally caught it last night. Everyone is on top form and alot of unexpected moments.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Oct 16, 2018, 11:26:15 AM
Hell or High Water
Absolutely amazing. Missed this at the cinema a few years ago, but finally caught it last night. Everyone is on top form and alot of unexpected moments.

"Maybe I'll give ya peace". What an ending. What a movie, really. Just goes to show that story is everything.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Oct 16, 2018, 08:36:45 AM
Quote from: Stillmatic on Oct 15, 2018, 10:14:28 PMGravity (2013)   

It looks fantastic but this has to be at the very least the most overrated movie of 2013, it's just mediocre.

I thought that was awesome the first time I saw it, but it doesn't really hold up to repeat viewing for me.

It definitely seems like more of a visual experience. I enjoyed it immensely the first time, but the story is far too minimalist for me.

Heat - on Bluray

Still probably my favorite movie. First time seeing it in high-def; it looked fantastic.

Listened to some of the directors commentary. My goodness, the man is excessively descriptive.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: Huggs on Oct 16, 2018, 01:07:10 PM
Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Oct 16, 2018, 11:26:15 AM
Hell or High Water

It was the perfect spot to end.

Bloodsucking Bosses
Has never heard of this, but i found it funny as hell. Shows working in an office can be.......draining  8)

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: Huggs on Oct 16, 2018, 01:07:10 PM
Heat - on Bluray

Still probably my favorite movie. First time seeing it in high-def; it looked fantastic.

Listened to some of the directors commentary. My goodness, the man is excessively descriptive.

I've heard that it's sort of a remake of Thief, a movie made by the same guy.
Haven't seen it myself so I can't compare.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Oct 17, 2018, 03:53:50 PMI've heard that it's sort of a remake of Thief, a movie made by the same guy.

It's actually a remake of the made-for-TV movie L.A. Takedown. Mann did the TV version first because he couldn't get funding to do it as a feature film. Later, when he was a bigger name in Hollywood, he redid it for the big screen with Pacino and De Niro.

Thief's also a Michael Mann film (his first in fact), but it's a totally different story :)

The Old One

The Old One

Blade Runner Final Cut 4K
Blade Runner 2049
Prometheus
Alien Theatrical Release
Aliens Theatrical Release
AlienĀ³ Special Edition

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

Death Kiss (2018)
Someone found a decent Charles Bronson lookalike and made an ok Death Wish ripoff.
I think the main actor's Mexican who barely speaks English because he sounded dubbed, the guns looked like they were made of plastic, the bad guy was the bad guy from Kindergarten Cop, Daniel Baldwin has a role too,...
Almost so bad it's good. Almost. But still ok.
Wouldn't mind a sequel if they can get a bigger budget.

Atterados (2017)
Argentinian haunting/demon/ghost type movie.
Pretty good. I prefer this over those Conjuring flicks.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Oct 17, 2018, 04:05:48 PM
Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Oct 17, 2018, 03:53:50 PMI've heard that it's sort of a remake of Thief, a movie made by the same guy.

It's actually a remake of the made-for-TV movie L.A. Takedown. Mann did the TV version first because he couldn't get funding to do it as a feature film. Later, when he was a bigger name in Hollywood, he redid it for the big screen with Pacino and De Niro.

Thief's also a Michael Mann film (his first in fact), but it's a totally different story :)

Oh, ok. Guess I heard wrong  :)

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Beyond the Black Rainbow

Definitely an interesting experience, but I feel like I was way too sober to be watching it. :laugh:

MudButt

MudButt

Halloween (2018)

Just got out of this and what a great time at the movies! This movie is such a great follow up to the original. Easily the best of the sequels. David Gordon Green and Danny McBride honored the franchise in the best way. Michael Myers is a beast, they made him a straight up force of nature. Jamie Lee Curtis does some of her best work in this movie as well, Laurie Strode is awesome in this movie. The kills are brutal and the humor works great. There's a standout scene that showcases the humor so well involving a babysitter and the kid she babysits. It's definitely not perfect, there's a character in this movie who takes a turn out of nowhere that really bothered me. There are a couple of minor teenager characters that are not good at all and are definitely there to be the next kill. Other than that I had a blast watching this movie. 8/10.

Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep

Ghost in the Shell

It had beautiful visuals as well as very interesting, and deep philosophical themes. Though the voice acting in the English dub was a bit emotionless and left some to be desired

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed