I hate Alien Covenant

Started by GetThat81, Aug 11, 2023, 02:40:44 AM

Author
I hate Alien Covenant (Read 10,699 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I would say Covenant is a horror movie (it's pretty gnarly, and it's the meanest one of these has been since Alien 3). But I'd also say it's a pretty terrible entry point to the series. So much of what makes it interesting is the way it twists and plays on what you already know from the original film.

NecronomIV

NecronomIV

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Oct 27, 2023, 04:42:34 PMI have a friend who loves horror and she isn't familiar with Alien at all, this was her Alien movie which she watched in theaters, her opinion was "this was the first movie to unironically put me to sleep in theaters, I'm not joking."

While I'm not a huge fan of Covenant, I think the medbay scene is probably one of the best bits of horror/fright I've seen in a long time. The music alone for that scene -- that rising tachycardia-inducing music -- is sublime.

ralfy

ralfy

It's listed as a sci-fi horror movie in many sites.

In light of that, what made the first movie remarkable is the use of suspense, with the creature not fully revealed until the end.

Since the second movie couldn't repeat that, it focused on action. Similar took place for the third and fourth movies.

With the prequels, the focus was on the origins story, with elements borrowed from the first few movies, like another landing and exploration and a heroine who looks like Ripley.

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

Quote from: Ingwar on Oct 27, 2023, 09:05:33 PMCovenant is not a horror movie. Also, she watched it out of context. I'm not surprised she was bored as horror lover.
Covenant is an horror movie and it's made in a way non fans can also watch it, like Prometheus

Ingwar

Ingwar

I've never personally considered Prometheus/Covenant as horror movies per se. For me, elements of gore and horror don't necessary make movie a horror.             

SiL

SiL

Covenant is thoroughly a horror movie, from its body horror elements to its gothic horror elements. Claiming otherwise is bizarre.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Then my personal claim is bizzare. I'm fine with that.

What horror movie we call a horror if one doesn't feel any sense of threat at all? I haven't felt any while watching Covenant. If it is a horror then it's very poor one.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Ingwar on Oct 28, 2023, 11:52:19 AMIf it is a horror then it's very poor one.
Yes, that's how it works. It's a horror movie - if you feel nothing then it's a bad one. But it's still a horror movie.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: SiL on Oct 28, 2023, 07:42:21 PM
Quote from: Ingwar on Oct 28, 2023, 11:52:19 AMIf it is a horror then it's very poor one.

Yes, that's how it works. It's a horror movie - if you feel nothing then it's a bad one. But it's still a horror movie.

Like Alien 3?

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 28, 2023, 08:38:09 PM

Like Alien 3?

I think the 30 years of teeth-gnashing and despair over Hix'n'Noot alone qualifies it as existential horror.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Well, that's your take. Technically speaking you're right, however for me if a comedy doesn't make me laugh  then it's hard to call it a comedy. What's a point in calling a movie comedy if it doesn't meet its conditions (being a comedy)? It's pointless. Exactly the same applies to horror movies. You might call Covenant a horror but there is barely any horror in it (and I don't mean gore and so on).

By the way, I like Covenant as a sci-fi but as a horror? No way.

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Oct 28, 2023, 08:39:35 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 28, 2023, 08:38:09 PM

Like Alien 3?

I think the 30 years of teeth-gnashing and despair over Hix'n'Noot alone qualifies it as existential horror.

I still find it hilarious that James Cameron cried fowl over Hicks and Newt... and then produced and endorsed Terminator Dark Fate, killing John in the opening 🤣 David Fincher was simply ahead of his time. 😊

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Ingwar on Oct 28, 2023, 08:50:50 PMWell, that's your take. Technically speaking you're right, however for me if a comedy doesn't make me laugh  then it's hard to call it a comedy. What's a point in calling a movie comedy if it doesn't meet its conditions (being a comedy)? It's pointless.
Gore is part of horror. Horror is about feelings of fear, revulsion and disgust. You don't just need to be scared.

The point in calling a comedy a comedy even if you didn't find it funny is that somebody else might, and because that's what it's meant to be.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: SiL on Oct 28, 2023, 09:01:43 PMGore is part of horror. Horror is about feelings of fear, revulsion and disgust. You don't just need to be scared.

Gore can be part of horror. Not every horror has gore elements. It's not necessary. Also, gore is an element of movies which are not horror but it's all semantics anyway. An the end of the day it doesn't truly matter. What matters for me is if I enjoy a movie or not.

Being scared is probably the main element of horror as genre and Covenant isn't scary at all. Also, I know that horror is about feeling of fear, revulsion and disgust, as you said, but I simply didn't feel any of it in Covenant depside the fact I enjoyed it which is the most important thing in watching movies.

SiL

SiL

Great. So you think it's a bad horror movie.

It's still a horror movie.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed