Is the Alien franchise really that popular?

Started by Prince77, Jul 21, 2023, 05:43:40 PM

Author
Is the Alien franchise really that popular? (Read 3,665 times)

PAS Spinelli

Quote from: jacobo1122 on Jul 22, 2023, 09:15:12 AMI mean let's face it, compared to the big today's franchises, Alien is very small thing. It lost its holding power, it is visible from lack of big releases like big budget games or movies, even when game comes out, it usually has smaller budget and doesn't get much attention. And last movies were flops. Books and Comics don't really matter in the grand scheme of things, they provide maybe small percent of money and attention compared to big things like movies, games or shows. However I think that it will never be completly forgotten, it's to important and iconic, and its relatively small bunch of fans are fully devoted to it and that why we still are getting new things. And maybe it's not a bad thing too, just look how some biggest franchises are exploited, with much content but bad quality, Star Wars for example. I prefer to get good smaller game like Dark Descent once in a while, or gem like Isolation that is trully Lighting in a bottle and happens once in a Lifetime, thanks to the fact that those games also were made by that devoted fans and not corporation suits that want only profit. Besides,things are starting to move on a little and I hope that after new movie and show there will be more life and attention injected to it. Fingers crossed they will be good.
This is not true, Alien has 2 big projects being developed as we speak, the games are playing it safe after the disaster and scam that Gearbox pulled with Colonial Marines.

jacobo1122

[/quote]
This is not true, Alien has 2 big projects being developed as we speak, the games are playing it safe after the disaster and scam that Gearbox pulled with Colonial Marines.
[/quote]

Yeah, I mentioned new movie and a series, and I hope that after it franchise will get more attention. But still movie has smaller budget and before recently it was supposed to go only on streaming. And I wouldn't say that games are playing safe after Colonial Marines. We got Isolation after all, risky project and despite it being so great i didn't sell exepctinaly well. Yeah, CM could have some fault in it. I mean both prequels and flops like Colonial Marines deteriorated intereset in franchise, there were just too many failures one after another, going back to AvP movies even. So again, I'm hoping that upcoming movie and Series will be great and they'll get good will of more casual audience back.

426Buddy

Oh come on... this guy is obviously trolling. He's not even trying and he's pulling in lunkers all day here.

PAS Spinelli

Isolation was in dev at the same time as Colonial Marines, so that's not really related to this, and Colonial Marines DID have a major fault in it's sale, I recall videos with titles such as "Don't buy Alien Isolation" when it's announcement trailer came out where the entire reasoning was "Colonial Marines"

[cancerblack]

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jul 22, 2023, 06:15:54 PMOh come on... this guy is obviously trolling. He's not even trying and he's pulling in lunkers all day here.

I am like 95% sure it's a bot thread honestly. Repeatedly questioning a bizarrely specific assertion that nobody made is classic bot shit.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

@Prince77 kindly tick the box below before posting anything else, thank you.

□ I'm not a robot

Eal

Quote from: Prince77 on Jul 22, 2023, 08:25:59 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 22, 2023, 02:43:45 AMLITERALLY

Spoiler
[close]

The predator part showed me that your answer to my question isn't serious.

Your original question reads like you're either trolling out of boredom or are using a bot, to be perfectly blunt. Probably why nobody's taking it seriously.

Local Trouble

Dear Prince77,

My, my! If it were only that simple to state that each and every American citizen, from the sun-drenched Californian surfer to the frostbitten Alaskan fisherman, from the youngest Generation Alpha to the most experienced of the Silent Generation, is irrevocably devoted to the Alien franchise. But let's take a moment, shall we?

Yes, let's envisage this scenario together. A scenario where every TV screen in every house across the nation flickers with the image of Sigourney Weaver, where every smartphone wallpaper and computer screensaver in the USA is a terrifying Xenomorph, where casual dinnertime conversation revolves around the implications of Weyland-Yutani's corporate malfeasance. In this alternate universe of ours, Halloween sees millions of Ellen Ripleys and Xenomorphs roaming the streets, with Alien-themed Christmas decorations adorning every household come December.

Oh, what a world! Every individual, be it a teen musing on the existential horror of Alien in their philosophy class, an adult quoting lines from the film in a work meeting, or a grandparent recounting the first time they watched it in a cinema, is a zealous aficionado of the Alien franchise. Alien podcasts top the charts, Alien merchandise outstrips all competitors, and the franchise enjoys an unparalleled level of notoriety and acclaim that leaves even the behemoths of pop culture cowering in the shadows.

Indeed, in this realm of our collective imagination, the Alien franchise isn't just popular - it is the beating heart of American culture, a shared experience that transcends all boundaries of age, profession, or personal preference. The Alien franchise is not just a part of the cultural zeitgeist - it IS the cultural zeitgeist.

Ah, to dream...

Yours smugly,

ChatGPT

jacobo1122

jacobo1122

To be fair I just read title of the thread and started writing  :laugh: Well, even if this is troll thread, topic is interesting, so why not to turn it to actual discussion  ;)

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Jul 22, 2023, 07:26:06 PMIsolation was in dev at the same time as Colonial Marines, so that's not really related to this, and Colonial Marines DID have a major fault in it's sale, I recall videos with titles such as "Don't buy Alien Isolation" when it's announcement trailer came out where the entire reasoning was "Colonial Marines"

Yeah, CM surely had Negative Impact on it, just like prievious missteps. And those mistakes are a partial reason why this franchise isn't so popular nowadays.

Eal

I wasn't around for the original theatrical releases of Alien and Aliens, so I can't comment on the period of time between 1979-1990. I would guess that maybe it peaked in the late 80s and early 90s and then fizzled out with Alien 3 and Resurrection. The 2000s were a big nothing-burger unless you count the release of the Quadrilogy.

People complain about Prometheus and Alien: Covenant, but holy crap...the reaction to the AVP movies.

Local Trouble

Alien 3 left the fandom in despair.  That's why they "revived" the franchise with AR. >:(

Eal

Eal

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 22, 2023, 10:33:50 PMAlien 3 left the fandom in despair.  That's why they "revived" the franchise with AR. >:(

Classic example of why people that finance movies aren't the same as people who create them.

"Oh...those movies did bad? Well clearly the market for Alien and Aliens is dead, but the market for AVP is in! If we just pick the right type of movie, then profits will come and it won't matter! It's a surefire success!" instead of developing a story organically.

Local Trouble

"Hey, let's hire Whedon to write and Jeunet to direct! It'll be a match made in heaven!"

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 22, 2023, 10:59:54 PM"Hey, let's hire Whedon to write and Jeunet to direct! It'll be a match made in heaven!"

It's not without its charms.

Local Trouble

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed