Fede Alvarez working on new Alien film!

Started by MudButt, Mar 04, 2022, 10:06:48 PM

Author
Fede Alvarez working on new Alien film! (Read 62,803 times)

PortugueseXeno

PortugueseXeno

Quote from: The Cruentus on Dec 31, 2023, 06:47:17 PMHumans created David, david creates Alien. It means the species is not only artificial

I like Promtheus and Covenant (and i agree with the criticisms of those movies) as standalones, and i truly think that there are some interesting ideas there, but as far as how they are connected to the original Alien (1979) movie, they left a lot to be desired.

But part of me thinks that Ridley scott wanted to tell his own original story about cycles of creation, but then had the studio force him to connect it to Alien in order to get more seats on the theater.

Also, personally, i always saw the Xeno as artficial, simply not a byproduct of humanity and its androids, but as something made by the Space Jockeys, which can also represent the theme of cosmic horror.

Perhaps there was a proto-Xeno species that existed and became exctinct, but then the Space Jockeys tried to recreate them as their own bioweapon for their own "alien motivations".

Maybe they worshipped these proto-xenos.

For me, the Xenos being an abomination that shouldn't exist is far more terrifying than them being something natural, not only that, but if they are natural, then it's a hell of a coincidence that their methods of reproduction (facehugger) easily adapt to human anatomy.

Their biomechanical nature also seemed to perfect and "fabricated", like their Juggernaut/derelict ships, instead of it simply being natural.

Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Dec 31, 2023, 07:31:32 PMI think it's more that he just likes Fede's idea. Ridley isn't as hands on with the story, just more producing.

Gotcha.

I didn't know about that.

But still, it's fun to speculate, especially because Covenant was a box office bomb and kind of sent the franchise into cryo again, so Romulus being the movie to wake it up again is certainly a promising outlook.

TheBATMAN

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Dec 31, 2023, 06:46:47 PM
Quote from: TheBATMAN on Dec 31, 2023, 02:52:23 PM
Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Dec 31, 2023, 02:16:13 PM
Quote from: TheBATMAN on Dec 31, 2023, 02:13:04 PMThe Alien has to come from the Covenant, or perhaps a lifeboat from the Covenant.

No.

QuoteGiven the timeline placement, randomly encountering the creatures from any other source would seem a little meh IMO.

Also no.

Why not?
Not everything has to be interconnected.

It doesnt. But it's a logical way for a new party to find the Alien and it serves as a small bookend to the prequel trilogy without leaving it permanently unfinished.

The film can still tell its own story.

The Cruentus

Quote from: PortugueseXeno on Dec 31, 2023, 07:35:23 PM
Quote from: The Cruentus on Dec 31, 2023, 06:47:17 PMHumans created David, david creates Alien. It means the species is not only artificial

I like Promtheus and Covenant (and i agree with the criticisms of those movies) as standalones, and i truly think that there are some interesting ideas there, but as far as how they are connected to the original Alien (1979) movie, they left a lot to be desired.

But part of me thinks that Ridley scott wanted to tell his own original story about cycles of creation, but then had the studio force him to connect it to Alien in order to get more seats on the theater.

Also, personally, i always saw the Xeno as artficial, simply not a byproduct of humanity and its androids, but as something made by the Space Jockeys, which can also represent the theme of cosmic horror.

Perhaps there was a proto-Xeno species that existed and became exctinct, but then the Space Jockeys tried to recreate them as their own bioweapon for their own "alien motivations".

Maybe they worshipped these proto-xenos.

For me, the Xenos being an abomination that shouldn't exist is far more terrifying than them being something natural, not only that, but if they are natural, then it's a hell of a coincidence that their methods of reproduction (facehugger) easily adapt to human anatomy.

Their biomechanical nature also seemed to perfect and "fabricated", like their Juggernaut/derelict ships, instead of it simply being natural.

Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Dec 31, 2023, 07:31:32 PMI think it's more that he just likes Fede's idea. Ridley isn't as hands on with the story, just more producing.

Gotcha.

I didn't know about that.

But still, it's fun to speculate, especially because Covenant was a box office bomb and kind of sent the franchise into cryo again, so Romulus being the movie to wake it up again is certainly a promising outlook.

Like I said, they are indeed well made movies, visuals are great. Its just what they did with the alien lore is what I disagree with. If it turned out David only merely replicated something that already existed, that would make it somewhat better. Unfortuantely Ridley did indeed make it clear that David is their origin.

PortugueseXeno

PortugueseXeno

Quote from: The Cruentus on Dec 31, 2023, 07:53:17 PMUnfortuantely Ridley did indeed make it clear that David is their origin.

Ridley needs to take his medicine then, with all due respect.

The murals in Prometheus and Covenant deleted media always made it seem as if the Xenos were something that predated David, so i will go with that.

The Cruentus

Maybe, the guy is in his 80s I think, not everyone ages well unfortunately, and he didn't have addition crew members to balance him out like in the first movie. Such as Dan O'Bannon.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

QuoteBut it's also interesting that this movie was only possible due to Ridley Scott's permission, after years of it being initially pitched (kind of like Noah Hawley's FX series).

We know that Fede pitched the plot to him a few years ago, but only recently did Ridley Scott gave him the heads up in order to proceed with the movie, so maybe there were some behind the scenes "deals".

Where did you read this? As far as I'm aware the rights are still with 20th/Disney.

Also, Scott Free co-produces but doesn't fund or greenlight the movies.

PortugueseXeno

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jan 01, 2024, 02:46:53 PM
QuoteBut it's also interesting that this movie was only possible due to Ridley Scott's permission, after years of it being initially pitched (kind of like Noah Hawley's FX series).

We know that Fede pitched the plot to him a few years ago, but only recently did Ridley Scott gave him the heads up in order to proceed with the movie, so maybe there were some behind the scenes "deals".

Where did you read this? As far as I'm aware the rights are still with 20th/Disney.

Also, Scott Free co-produces but doesn't fund or greenlight the movies.

Hi.

That first article regarding Fede Alvarez making a new Alien movie, kind of implied that it was only possible because Ridley Scott called him (years after first hearing about his pitch) and gave him the good to go.

That is kind of what i meant, but obviously, any official behind the scenes deal is beyond my reach.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: PortugueseXeno on Jan 01, 2024, 10:06:01 PMHi.

That first article regarding Fede Alvarez making a new Alien movie, kind of implied that it was only possible because Ridley Scott called him (years after first hearing about his pitch) and gave him the good to go.

That is kind of what i meant, but obviously, any official behind the scenes deal is beyond my reach.

Didn't he pitch it directly to Ridley and then Ridley/Scott Free decided to pitch it to 20th Century Studios?

A lot of people blamed (while other praised) Scott for scuttling Blomkamp's Alien film, but ultimately the decision was 20th Century studios call. He might have influenced the decision makers there but he doesn't own the rights to the Alien franchise.

He's more of a consultant and a marketable brand name.

PortugueseXeno

PortugueseXeno

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jan 02, 2024, 07:44:03 AM
Quote from: PortugueseXeno on Jan 01, 2024, 10:06:01 PMHi.

Didn't he pitch it directly to Ridley and then Ridley/Scott Free decided to pitch it to 20th Century Studios?

A lot of people blamed (while other praised) Scott for scuttling Blomkamp's Alien film, but ultimately the decision was 20th Century studios call. He might have influenced the decision makers there but he doesn't own the rights to the Alien franchise.

He's more of a consultant and a marketable brand name.

Maybe that is what it was, but to me, the article implied that Ridley Scott had a role in the existence of the movie.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: PortugueseXeno on Jan 02, 2024, 10:03:19 AMMaybe that is what it was, but to me, the article implied that Ridley Scott had a role in the existence of the movie.

I think he probably liked the pitch and then tried to persuade 20th to go for it. He's quite a powerful and persuasive producer. So yeah, I think one can say he did indeed have a role in getting the movie made, just not in quite the way your original wording implied.

razeak

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Dec 31, 2023, 02:16:13 PM
Quote from: TheBATMAN on Dec 31, 2023, 02:13:04 PMThe Alien has to come from the Covenant, or perhaps a lifeboat from the Covenant.

No.

QuoteGiven the timeline placement, randomly encountering the creatures from any other source would seem a little meh IMO.

Also no.

Correct. If we're going to have meh developments, let them sit at Covenant's table, not Alien.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 04, 2022, 10:16:09 PMEvil Dead remake is fun for what it is. Don't Breathe was atrocious.

Don't like the sound of this at all. Ridley Scott is RIGHT there with an unfinished story yet to tell, but even barring him directing, there has to be a more intetesting filmmaker to get to tackle a new Alien movie... :-\

Not thrilled with how Disney is handling this acquisition in the slightest. And bye bye theatrical releases, everything is just streaming content now. Gotta churn it all out!

Feels nice doing a bit of a 180 over the couple years its been since my initial bitter post on this subject. :)

gold

The main thing the movie going public remembers of Alien/Aliens is the Giger shapes.

A question that was never answered was Why are they so repulsive and attractive at the same time?

I wish the story was that the engineers, in their meddling with DNA and creating life, had accidentally tapped into a realm outside the universe (God realm?) where only emotions rule. The xenomorph being a manifestation of that realm. They accidentally touched that realm.

The xenomorph is a manifestation of the creative spark of life. (God?).

But no, an angry Earth robot made them.

Way to shrink your universe Ridley.

Local Trouble

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed