Last Movie You Watched

Started by Terx2, Dec 05, 2012, 05:12:31 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched (Read 845,717 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I love Dune. The book is the best scifi book I've ever read. I daren't read it again incase my perception changes again.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

I actually haven't read the books. I really should get round to it someday

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

You should. It was a great book.

Using my swanky new Unlimited card for Cineworld, went to see Scout's Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse last night. Nothing particularly special but it was actually quite funny.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

I've read the first four Dune books, still haven't managed five and six.

The Great Escape

Awesome. 8)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I'm told they get badshit crazy as the series goes on.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Lol then it would be attempting the Prequel series by His son lol

Star Trek II : The Wrath of Khan

Star Trek III : The Search for Spock

one thing has always bugged me, they break the rules by going to Genesis to find the body of Spock at the Behest of Sarek, yet Sarek doesn't speak up for them and take the hit that he was the one who sent them in The Voyage Home

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 14, 2015, 04:40:36 PM
I'm told they get badshit crazy as the series goes on.

Yes, yes they do. One particular character gets killed and resurrected countless times, and another merges with the worms and becomes... something.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Slaughterhouse-Five

A wonderful little sci-fi/drama. There are a couple of rough edges, but overall a very good film.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Nov 14, 2015, 05:13:50 PM
one thing has always bugged me, they break the rules by going to Genesis to find the body of Spock at the Behest of Sarek, yet Sarek doesn't speak up for them and take the hit that he was the one who sent them in The Voyage Home

It's not like they were really punished anyway.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Rush Hour

Still a movie I have a lot of fun with whenever I watch it.

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

Just a masterful piece of work. Damn near every second of it flawless.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 16, 2015, 11:20:23 AM
Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Nov 14, 2015, 05:13:50 PM

It's not like they were really punished anyway.

True, but it's always bugged me lol

Watched Stephen King's Silver Bullet. Still really enjoyable, with some great black comedy moments

Vertigo

Vertigo

Steve Jobs (not the Ashton Kutcher one...)

Didn't like it at all, it's Sorkinese at its worst. Every conversation is a singular train of thought, every exchange is fraught with tension and interruption regardless of whether it needs to be, every character has more or less the same voice (differentiated mainly by relative level of power), every sentence is spoken without the slightest hesitation regardless of its complexity, the lead character has to feel 100% in the right and beyond self-assured with every single word. It's grating and unnatural. There's very little stage direction too - unlike The Social Network, there's no escape from the dialogue here.

It touched on many of Jobs' various aspects, but I didn't feel it sufficiently managed to get under the skin. I didn't like the narrative conceit either - every section of the film takes place during a product presentation, it means that a lot of the key elements of the Apple story go unexplained. The film feels like it ends abruptly too, at a point which repeats earlier narrative. It could just as neatly have ended halfway through.

Fassbender makes a hell of a Jobs though, and Danny Boyle shoots him brilliantly. I just think they needed a better script to work with - but then again, maybe Boyle and his editing team aren't as good at taming Aaron Sorkin's prose as David Fincher's crew was.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Stalag 17

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Dust Devil

Still a totally mesmerizng film. Also the first good film I've seen Robert Burke in. :laugh:

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: KiramidHead on Nov 25, 2015, 10:57:05 PM
Dust Devil

Still a totally mesmerizng film. Also the first good film I've seen Robert Burke in. :laugh:

It is utterly fantastic

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed