Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Better than Mass Effect?

The Old One

The Old One

Unbelievably, yes.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

The only Bethesda game I've ever played was Fallout 3, and it was amazing.

Likening it to the kind of reprocessed rubbish Call of Duty has been churning out since the late-00s is frankly ridiculous.

Vertigo

Vertigo

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 20, 2019, 08:16:56 PM
I've never played any of the Bethesda RPGs, but I do own a few.  What's wrong with them?

With Oblivion/Skyrim...

• The story is minimal and unbranching. So while you can wander around an enormous world and with virtually zero limitation, you're only choosing the order in which to see the stories and subquests play out.
  • Character development is minimal - there's very little emotion or, again, branching options. That also goes for your character - you can attain leadership of all the guilds, save the world and be powerful enough that it only takes you a couple of seconds to kill the dragons/demons that everyone's so terrified of, but it has very little impact on what you can do in the game or how people treat you. In other games that would be fine, when you finish all the quests you've finished the game, but Oblivion/Skyrim are immersive RPGs that are supposed to be like an alternative life; the game never technically ends.
  • In Skyrim, particularly, you can get so powerful that combat becomes completely unsatisfying.
  • While the world is colossal, you tend to find there are a limited number of patterns that are repeated ad nauseum. It's almost game-breaking in Oblivion, but even in Skyrim... the first time you plunder a Dwemer ruin, it feels dangerous, epic and special - some amazing steampunk fantasy - but later you find another, and another, and realise that everything that made it cool is copy/pasted in dozens of places across the game world.
So basically, while they're games that are massively immersive, the substance of what you're immersed in is quite shallow and slightly unsatisfying. This is why the mods are so critical - each one adds a bit more substance, more to do, making it more worthy of your time.

That said, some of the lore is pretty cool, with a Greek-style pantheon of personality-driven gods, and a Warhammer-style plane of demons. And it does feel incredibly liberating to go virtually anywhere and do virtually anything, at any time, within that game world. So much immersion that it can easily gobble up 200 hours of your time, but if you take an extended break, it does break that immersion and you start to wonder why you loved it so much.

Another point is how incredibly groundbreaking these games were. There wouldn't be a Witcher 3 without Elder Scrolls, or most of the other open-world games on the market today. The amount of content in them just defies belief. And the concept of a first-person sword/bow game was basically unique back in the day.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 20, 2019, 08:56:34 PM
The only Bethesda game I've ever played was Fallout 3, and it was amazing.

Likening it to the kind of reprocessed rubbish Call of Duty has been churning out since the late-00s is frankly ridiculous.

I tried fallout 3 a bunch of times but could never get into it . I think as I get older, I just don't have the time or patience to invest in that kind of game. When I was a kid, I played the hell out of Morrowind, final fantasy, etc. I'm getting to where I prefer more linear experiences now.

Vertigo

Vertigo

Mm. I don't know if it's just me not branching out enough, but it seems like there's a relative dearth of triple-A singleplayer, linear FPSs and RPGs on the market at the moment. It's like developers are so hell-bent on milking the legions of digital hat buyers that they've forgotten there's still money to be made with more traditional games, and it's a niche that's not being effectively tapped at the moment.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

I legitimately loved every minute I spent on Skyrim- unmodded, no less.

Vertigo

Vertigo

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Vertigo on Feb 20, 2019, 08:59:46 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 20, 2019, 08:16:56 PM
I've never played any of the Bethesda RPGs, but I do own a few.  What's wrong with them?

With Oblivion/Skyrim...

• The story is minimal and unbranching. So while you can wander around an enormous world and with virtually zero limitation, you're only choosing the order in which to see the stories and subquests play out.
  • Character development is minimal - there's very little emotion or, again, branching options. That also goes for your character - you can attain leadership of all the guilds, save the world and be powerful enough that it only takes you a couple of seconds to kill the dragons/demons that everyone's so terrified of, but it has very little impact on what you can do in the game or how people treat you. In other games that would be fine, when you finish all the quests you've finished the game, but Oblivion/Skyrim are immersive RPGs that are supposed to be like an alternative life; the game never technically ends.
  • In Skyrim, particularly, you can get so powerful that combat becomes completely unsatisfying.
  • While the world is colossal, you tend to find there are a limited number of patterns that are repeated ad nauseum. It's almost game-breaking in Oblivion, but even in Skyrim... the first time you plunder a Dwemer ruin, it feels dangerous, epic and special - some amazing steampunk fantasy - but later you find another, and another, and realise that everything that made it cool is copy/pasted in dozens of places across the game world.
So basically, while they're games that are massively immersive, the substance of what you're immersed in is quite shallow and slightly unsatisfying. This is why the mods are so critical - each one adds a bit more substance, more to do, making it more worthy of your time.

That said, some of the lore is pretty cool, with a Greek-style pantheon of personality-driven gods, and a Warhammer-style plane of demons. And it does feel incredibly liberating to go virtually anywhere and do virtually anything, at any time, within that game world. So much immersion that it can easily gobble up 200 hours of your time, but if you take an extended break, it does break that immersion and you start to wonder why you loved it so much.

Another point is how incredibly groundbreaking these games were. There wouldn't be a Witcher WH without Elder Scrolls, or most of the other open-world games on the market today. The amount of content in them just defies belief. And the concept of a first-person sword/bow game was basically unique back in the day.

100%

Modern Bethesda, since 2010 at least- is reprocessed rubbish.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Grinding Ghost Recon: Wildlands with a friend and preparing to face The Predator.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Huggs on Feb 20, 2019, 09:06:03 PMI think as I get older, I just don't have the time or patience to invest in that kind of game.

That's the main reason I never played it again, or any of the others.

I loved every minute of it, but at the end of it all my save file told me I'd been playing for over a hundred hours, and I just can't bring myself to invest that kind of time in a single game any more lol.

Vertigo

Vertigo

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 20, 2019, 09:52:30 PM
100%

Modern Bethesda, since 2010 at least- is reprocessed rubbish.

I wouldn't go that far - Skyrim does have a bunch of good traits - but I think they need to bring a lot of the modding community into the development cycle if they make another singleplayer Elder Scrolls game. The speed with which the games were improved by the community after their launch was startling. Also, the world has moved on, so they'll really need to rethink their approach to storytelling to remain competitive against the likes of Witcher.

I'm not a Fallout guy though, so can't comment on those.

Huggs

Huggs

Fallout three looked really cool back when it debuted at E3 all those years ago. But playing it was like watching paint dry. I just couldn't take it.

Wweyland

Wweyland

None of the later games have really captured the magic that was Fallout 2.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed