Currently Playing

Started by Ratchetcomand, Nov 15, 2007, 01:14:30 AM

Author
Currently Playing (Read 960,053 times)

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Thinking of playing some Minecraft, to take a breather from all this college.

Why does it seem like I'm the only one who really likes Minecraft?

Sabby

Sabby

That you don't need structure and clear objectives to entertain yourself, like most other gamers who have tragically short attention spans.

King Rathalos

King Rathalos

Everyone at my highschool was blowing their loads whenever someone brought it on their USB. I just never got the appeal. Maybe if I played it a bit more but I've got plenty of other games I want to play anyways. :P

Sabby

Sabby

Eh, I'm cautious in calling things like Minecraft and Terraria 'games'. There's no real point to them unless you make one yourself, which doesn't appeal to some people.

TheLoneSpoon

TheLoneSpoon

Quote from: Sabby on Oct 12, 2013, 12:11:26 AM
Eh, I'm cautious in calling things like Minecraft and Terraria 'games'. There's no real point to them unless you make one yourself, which doesn't appeal to some people.

Would you consider The Sims a game then?

Sabby

Sabby

Eh, we'd really need to settle on a definition for 'game', and whatever definition I could come up with would likely differ from yours, so I won't make black and white statements like 'that's not a game'. I would be comfortable saying that Sims 3 is a very light game.

TheLoneSpoon

TheLoneSpoon

Quote from: Sabby on Oct 12, 2013, 12:22:01 AM
Eh, we'd really need to settle on a definition for 'game', and whatever definition I could come up with would likely differ from yours, so I won't make black and white statements like 'that's not a game'. I would be comfortable saying that Sims 3 is a very light game.

You're logic isn't really all there because your definition of Minecraft not being a game could be applied to The Sims. There is literally no point of The Sims either. The way you play is up to you, there are no real goals to it. Minecraft actually does have a goal though, to get to The End.

Sabby

Sabby

I said I was cautious to call them games. That's not the same as saying they're not games.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Why be cautious though?

TheLoneSpoon

TheLoneSpoon

No real reason to be.

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

Well Minecraft actually does have an objective, at least in survival, and that's to survive.

TheLoneSpoon

TheLoneSpoon

Quote from: Ghost Rider on Oct 12, 2013, 12:29:45 AM
Well Minecraft actually does have an objective, at least in survival, and that's to survive.

And to beat the end boss.

Sabby

Sabby

I'd be cautious to call Minecraft a game in the same way I'd call, say, Ninja Gaiden, or Half Life 2 a game. They may both be games, technically, in the same way a car and a train are both vehicles.

TheLoneSpoon

TheLoneSpoon

A board definition exists for a reason.

If you where cautious to call a train a vehicle, I'd have to ask how many drugs you've been taking.

Sabby

Sabby

Hmmm, I see your point, and I used poor wording.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed