Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 10, 2013, 08:24:08 PM

Author
Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series (Read 286,468 times)

xeno-kaname

Quote from: Kimarhi on Dec 16, 2013, 08:23:46 PM
The 90:1 guy must be a hardass.

I was wondering about that too I kept double checking to make sure it wasn't an Engineer haha

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: predxeno on Dec 16, 2013, 08:32:07 PM
We may not have preserve planets but I'm pretty sure the BSPs will be making a cameo.

Do not jinx whatever smidgeon of good hope I have! Please don't!

On a note related to the comics... Are me and SpreadEagleBeagle the only guys on the same page about Mignola's artwork?

And is this going to be like a limited series or an on-going project?

-Rakai'Thwei

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: xeno-kaname on Dec 16, 2013, 08:37:06 PM

I was wondering about that too I kept double checking to make sure it wasn't an Engineer haha

He's probably an android or has a touch of the Ripley in him.

RakaiThwei

Never been good at reading odds in ratio format. Percentages are easier for me.

Predator's survival is 10:1.. Is that good or bad? For some reason, I'm leaning towards bad.

-Rakai'Thwei

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Good.  He has the second highest rate of survival next to the 90:1 guy. 

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Kimarhi on Dec 16, 2013, 10:02:50 PM
Good.  He has the second highest rate of survival next to the 90:1 guy.

Hopefully he will survive then!

-Rakai'Thwei

xeno-kaname

Quote from: Kimarhi on Dec 16, 2013, 09:53:51 PM
Quote from: xeno-kaname on Dec 16, 2013, 08:37:06 PM

He's probably an android or has a touch of the Ripley in him.

I'm such an idiot. Synthetics should've crossed my mind. You're probably right.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: happypred on Dec 16, 2013, 09:16:02 AM
Predators don't always die in their stories (Smiley in Civilised Beasts walks off with a bad ass trophy) but yeah, they usually do
There's a few Predators who survive their stories, but they're not always "characters". They're just a Predator who shows up and happens to not get killed. Here's a quick breakdown of Predators who don't die/recurring Predators:

- Top Knot (shows up in AvP: Prey, AvP: Blood Time), although he might have gotten killed in 'AvP: War' since it heavily implies that every Predator dies in that, and I'm pretty sure he's in that.
- unnamed one-handed Predator (loses the hand in Blood Time, shows up again in AvP: Duel, shows up again in AvP: War, so he might have gotten killed in War)
- Smiley (AvP: Civilized Beasts)
- Lefty ("AvP: Lefty's Revenge", heavily implied that he doesn't die)
- the one in 'Predator: God's Truth'
- the one in 'Predator: Demon Gold'
- the Elder Predator ('Predator 2', 'Predator: 1718')
- the one in 'Predator: Invaders from the Fourth Dimension'
- the one in 'Predator: Bump in the Night'
- the elder in 'Predator: Homeworld'
- Scarface (Predator: Concrete Jungle game)
- the player Predator in AvPClassic
- the player Predator in AvP 2
- the player Predator in AvP2010
- Predator Hunter and Predator Warrior (AvP Arcade)
- the player Predator in AvP: Evolution
- the player Predator in AvP SNES
- the player Predator in AvP Jaguar

Their track record in the videogames is a lot better than it is in the comics, but that makes sense. In fact the only player Predator I can think of who *doesn't* survive is the Ancient Predator in AvP2: Primal Hunt. :P

RakaiThwei

So I'm checking out a lot of comic sites.. And they are clamoring about how Alien and Predator are now sharing a universe now.

....Either people forgot about the fact that Alien and Predator have shared a universe since 1989 or they are just really stupid. Seriously, why are people acting like Alien-Predator is news when it's been around for twenty five years?

-Rakai'Thwei

predxeno

predxeno

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Dec 17, 2013, 02:48:57 AM
So I'm checking out a lot of comic sites.. And they are clamoring about how Alien and Predator are now sharing a universe now.

....Either people forgot about the fact that Alien and Predator have shared a universe since 1989 or they are just really stupid. Seriously, why are people acting like Alien-Predator is news when it's been around for twenty five years?

-Rakai'Thwei

Forced ignorance after AVP2010, Prometheus, and A:CM? :-\

SM

SM

Shitty interwebz churnalism is shitty.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: predxeno on Dec 17, 2013, 03:16:43 AM
Forced ignorance after AVP2010, Prometheus, and A:CM? :-\

Good lord..

Quote from: SM on Dec 17, 2013, 03:18:49 AM
Shitty interwebz churnalism is shitty.

Yes, yes it f**king is!

-Rakai'Thwei

Ultramorph

Yeah, it is kind of silly the extent to which the shared universe angle is being touted like it's not something that's existed for 20+ years, but I can kind of forgive it since Dark Horse is touting it as a big deal, mostly because of the inclusion of Prometheus. My only fear is that Dark Horse's track record with these kind of intertwined, multi-property relaunch events has been pretty mixed. I just hope it doesn't wind up being mediocre like the 2010 relaunch when 'Predators' came out, or God forbid, as downright dreadful as the Xenogenesis stuff back in the day. That being said, the prospect of a Predator story set in the Aliens future is something I've been looking forward to, and it looks like that's what we'll be getting from Williamson's series, since he talks about how his lead character Galgo will make his appearance in one of the earlier books. Hopefully, Dark Horse will keep up the dribs and drabs of teaser material, like the Mognola cover and the "Usual Suspects"-style lineup we got today. He did interview a few months back, and they got some concept work this Galgo character.

www.comicbooktherapy.com/joshua-williamson-teases-new-predator-miniseries-dark-horse-160929

He also did an interview at NY Comic Con a few months ago where he touches on the series and its characters as well:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx590mEM7to

On the other hand, he does mention how it's difficult dealing with stories based on licensed properties, because editors and licencors often have different motivations than editors, and how the Predators comic will probably be his last comic based on a licensed property for a while. I'm trying really hard not to read that as an early indication that studio interference is already happening with this project.  :-\

Still, I hope the fact that Ridley Scott's office is involved means that we'll get some actual advancement of the Prometheus mythology, rather than the usual "We're too constrained by the studio/too afraid to do interesting stories because the next movie will throw them out of canon" stuff we've seen with licensed stuff before (the old, pre-Alien 3 comics being a great example of expanding the mythology). I'd love if they could weave the Predators into the Engineer mythology in a more interesting way. I get the distinct feeling that the old Predator looking for his last great hunt will be hunting an Engineer, so that sounds like a potentially cool way to combine the mythologies. And given the fact that the AvP story has been described as a revenge story, maybe we'll get some kind of back story where the Engineers used the Aliens against the Predators in some kind of conflict, though that's a bit too obvious. I really want to see what they do with the Engineers and the black goo.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Ultramorph on Dec 17, 2013, 03:51:26 AM
Still, I hope the fact that Ridley Scott's office is involved means that we'll get some actual advancement of the Prometheus mythology, rather than the usual "We're too constrained by the studio/too afraid to do interesting stories because the next movie will throw them out of canon" stuff we've seen with licensed stuff before (the old, pre-Alien 3 comics being a great example of expanding the mythology). I'd love if they could weave the Predators into the Engineer mythology in a more interesting way. I get the distinct feeling that the old Predator looking for his last great hunt will be hunting an Engineer, so that sounds like a potentially cool way to combine the mythologies. And given the fact that the AvP story has been described as a revenge story, maybe we'll get some kind of back story where the Engineers used the Aliens against the Predators in some kind of conflict, though that's a bit too obvious. I really want to see what they do with the Engineers and the black goo.

I don't think Ridley Scott holds the comics in much of a high regard to incorporate it into his films. If anything, he probably sees this as something as a novelty tie-in that he might probably discard in the Prometheus sequel-- Paradise, or whatever the movie will be called. I mean to him it's something that happens outside of his own personal world and really has no bearing on it. I'm willing to bet that is the case.

-Rakai'Thwei

SM

SM

Riddles ain't paying attention to no comic.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed