ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages)

Started by Cvalda, Nov 23, 2013, 05:33:45 AM

Author
ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages) (Read 398,885 times)

Nostromo

Local Trouble and SM what is the name of the 3rd moon or planetoid? We know you know.

Local Trouble

Engineer

Nostromo

And why 223 and 426?

SM

They come after 222 and 425 respectively.

Engineer

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I think SM started drinking the Foster's early today.  I hear it's powerful stuff.

I assume LV-223 and LV-426 were numbered in the order they were charted and/or surveyed.  By noted Italian astrocartographer, Luigi Valentino.

Nostromo

Nostromo

Quote from: SM on Sep 16, 2016, 10:31:32 PM
They come after 222 and 425 respectively.
lol, SM your slacking!

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 16, 2016, 01:32:24 AM
Quote from: Nostromo on Sep 16, 2016, 01:13:33 AM
lol thx. Btw, I thought about that too, when I saw palladium...I was like pah! Bah palladium...but you never know if one day we invent some type of killer app that requires a lot of it...maybe in Android applications...

Or a Dyson sphere.  :laugh:

Nice

Quote from: 426Buddy on Sep 16, 2016, 04:26:00 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 16, 2016, 04:13:56 PM
Quote from: Engineer on Sep 16, 2016, 03:29:09 AM
Gotchya

How so?

I think he means that he understands what you're saying. Not that he "got you" somehow.
lol, he's coming to get you man

Local Trouble

Look at the pretty planet.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 16, 2016, 09:19:03 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 16, 2016, 04:23:31 AMYou'd think any of the movies (or anything else) would indicate that, then. Even a throwaway line like "oh, another world made of Unobtanium". But instead we don't just get nothing, we get information that directly contradicts it: a hundred colonists sent to mine something conventional, and a planet described as having "a metal core".

When was it ever stated that the colonists were there to mine something conventional?  Why do you assume that a planetoid full of unobtanium would be any more noteworthy among a crew of 22nd century space truckers than the miracle of FTL space travel is?  What you and I consider amazing today could be relatively mundane to our descendants a hundred years from now.
There's a pretty radical difference between man-made technology becoming commonplace over time (be it powered flight, FTL, SCUBA gear, the smartphone, whatever) and an apparently naturally-occurring phenomenon that flat-out shouldn't exist.
A better example is the Alien itself - there's a reason why people pursue it for study/capture/exploitation so obsessively (be it in the movies, or the EU) and that's because it's a seemingly natural phenomenon that defies all expectations or explanations. It's noteworthy simply by existing, and calls attention to itself because of it.

Likewise, a microplanet with gravity comparable to earth would be similarly noteworthy, but none of the movies or anything else even pay lip-service to how remarkable this would be, not even in the slightest. 'Alien' makes intercepting an extraterrestrial broadcast seem like just something that could happen to anyone, but it's still an unusual and noteworthy event and the Nostromo crew reacts accordingly and acknowledges that it's not the norm.

You're the one claiming LV-426 is made of a magical mystery material, where's the evidence to support it? Why did no characters in any of the movies even mention the planet's remarkable composition? Why did none of the characters mention the planet's size when the Nostromo was landing on it, since landing on small objects is inherently risky? Where is the specialized, heretofore-impossible mining equipment you would use to mine this mystery material that no one bothers to mention (and, as pointed out, would be so dense that you wouldn't be able to mine it, not to mention its infinitesimal half-life)? Where is the radiation shielding to protect colonists or explorers from the ridiculous radiation the planet would be giving off? A small planet made of such a mystery material wouldn't have seismic activity, geysers, or plate tectonics, and yet we see all of these in both movies - how do you address that? 1200km is a third the size of the moon, the curvature of the horizon would be apparent even with the various rock outcroppings - and yet it's not. Why not? The WYR (or anything else) doesn't bother to mention that LV-426 is made of anything out of the ordinary, no matter how "commonplace" it might be in the future - why is that?

Like, I'm getting the vibe that you acknowledge that for LV-426 to be so small, it would have to be made of something weird. But I'm not sure you grasp how weird it would have to be, or the ramifications of it. I've mentioned it before, but I highly recommend the book 'Solaris' - the whole thing is about the discovery of an "impossible" planet and the ramifications it has on the scientific community, and on humanity at large.

If any source, anywhere, bothered to acknowledge how "impossible" a planet that small is, then we wouldn't be having this conversation. :) A throwaway line where someone says "yeah, tiny LV-426 is made of absurdly-dense Unobtanium, that's why we mine there", literally anything.
Shit, have the planet be an artificial construct (be it by Space Jockeys/Engineers, or whoever, doesn't matter), then you can handwave the density as "magical technology" and you get the added awe and mystery of an entire planet that's been artificially created.
Like, there's ways to make the tiny size work, but none of the movies or anything else bother to even acknowledge it (and the CMTM outright addressed it by fixing it). Yeah sure you can say "we are beholden to the source material", but that doesn't mean source material is infallible, or can't fall victim to bad writing or bad science.

It just seems like a lot of bending over backwards and jumping through hoops in order to preserve a throwaway line from a deleted scene, spoken by a fallible human, and contradicted by the visual evidence of two movies.

But hey, to each their own I guess.

Nostromo

Nostromo

Is LV-797 located in the same system as LV-223/426?

I forget about it until now while I was reading the new #4 issue of Prometheus Life & Death.

Found this small description on a website:

LV-797, aka Tartarus, is a WY territory schedule to be terraformed. But it looks a rival company by the name of Seegson (yes!) is prospecting illegally on their grounds. Awesome! For those wondering why I'm geeking out right now, Seegson was the guilty party behind the shenanigans in the brilliant Alien: Isolation. Now we have a nice tie-in between the game and comics universe.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Nostromo on Sep 17, 2016, 02:09:41 AM

I forget about it until now while I was reading the new #4 issue Prometheus.

LV-797, aka Tartarus, is a WY territory schedule to be terraformed. But it looks a rival company by the name of Seegson (yes!) is prospecting illegally on their grounds. Awesome! For those wondering why I'm geeking out right now, Seegson was the guilty party behind the shenanigans in the brilliant Alien: Isolation. Now we have a nice tie-in between the game and comics universe.

We already had a tie-in between the comics and the game - Amanda Ripley cameos in 'Aliens: Defiance' #1 if I remember right. :)

Nostromo

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 17, 2016, 02:15:12 AM

I forget about it until now while I was reading the new #4 issue Prometheus.

We already had a tie-in between the comics and the game - Amanda Ripley cameos in 'Aliens: Defiance' #1 if I remember right. :)

Yeah, this is an old review of Predator Life & Death #1. I think this came out a few months or weeks before Aliens: Defiance.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 17, 2016, 02:06:20 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 16, 2016, 09:19:03 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 16, 2016, 04:23:31 AMYou'd think any of the movies (or anything else) would indicate that, then. Even a throwaway line like "oh, another world made of Unobtanium". But instead we don't just get nothing, we get information that directly contradicts it: a hundred colonists sent to mine something conventional, and a planet described as having "a metal core".

When was it ever stated that the colonists were there to mine something conventional?  Why do you assume that a planetoid full of unobtanium would be any more noteworthy among a crew of 22nd century space truckers than the miracle of FTL space travel is?  What you and I consider amazing today could be relatively mundane to our descendants a hundred years from now.
There's a pretty radical difference between man-made technology becoming commonplace over time (be it powered flight, FTL, SCUBA gear, the smartphone, whatever) and an apparently naturally-occurring phenomenon that flat-out shouldn't exist.
A better example is the Alien itself - there's a reason why people pursue it for study/capture/exploitation so obsessively (be it in the movies, or the EU) and that's because it's a seemingly natural phenomenon that defies all expectations or explanations. It's noteworthy simply by existing, and calls attention to itself because of it.

Likewise, a microplanet with gravity comparable to earth would be similarly noteworthy, but none of the movies or anything else even pay lip-service to how remarkable this would be, not even in the slightest. 'Alien' makes intercepting an extraterrestrial broadcast seem like just something that could happen to anyone, but it's still an unusual and noteworthy event and the Nostromo crew reacts accordingly and acknowledges that it's not the norm.

You're the one claiming LV-426 is made of a magical mystery material, where's the evidence to support it? Why did no characters in any of the movies even mention the planet's remarkable composition? Why did none of the characters mention the planet's size when the Nostromo was landing on it, since landing on small objects is inherently risky? Where is the specialized, heretofore-impossible mining equipment you would use to mine this mystery material that no one bothers to mention (and, as pointed out, would be so dense that you wouldn't be able to mine it, not to mention its infinitesimal half-life)? Where is the radiation shielding to protect colonists or explorers from the ridiculous radiation the planet would be giving off? A small planet made of such a mystery material wouldn't have seismic activity, geysers, or plate tectonics, and yet we see all of these in both movies - how do you address that? 1200km is a third the size of the moon, the curvature of the horizon would be apparent even with the various rock outcroppings - and yet it's not. Why not? The WYR (or anything else) doesn't bother to mention that LV-426 is made of anything out of the ordinary, no matter how "commonplace" it might be in the future - why is that?

Like, I'm getting the vibe that you acknowledge that for LV-426 to be so small, it would have to be made of something weird. But I'm not sure you grasp how weird it would have to be, or the ramifications of it. I've mentioned it before, but I highly recommend the book 'Solaris' - the whole thing is about the discovery of an "impossible" planet and the ramifications it has on the scientific community, and on humanity at large.

If any source, anywhere, bothered to acknowledge how "impossible" a planet that small is, then we wouldn't be having this conversation. :) A throwaway line where someone says "yeah, tiny LV-426 is made of absurdly-dense Unobtanium, that's why we mine there", literally anything.
Shit, have the planet be an artificial construct (be it by Space Jockeys/Engineers, or whoever, doesn't matter), then you can handwave the density as "magical technology" and you get the added awe and mystery of an entire planet that's been artificially created.
Like, there's ways to make the tiny size work, but none of the movies or anything else bother to even acknowledge it (and the CMTM outright addressed it by fixing it). Yeah sure you can say "we are beholden to the source material", but that doesn't mean source material is infallible, or can't fall victim to bad writing or bad science.

It just seems like a lot of bending over backwards and jumping through hoops in order to preserve a throwaway line from a deleted scene, spoken by a fallible human, and contradicted by the visual evidence of two movies.

But hey, to each their own I guess.

Not necessarily.... Check this out:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/superheavy-element-117-island-of-stability/

But I do agree. More likely that lv-426 is larger than smaller and "lambert misspoke" is the explanation I choose.

SM

I forget about it until now while I was reading the new #4 issue of Prometheus Life & Death.

797 is not the same system as 436 and 223.  The Engineer ship that leaves 797 takes about a week to get to 223.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed