Strange Shapes

Started by Valaquen, Oct 19, 2012, 03:40:59 AM

Author
Strange Shapes (Read 69,159 times)

xeno_alpha_07

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

The 'Cocoon' sequence,I think would have worked better if placed directly after the discovery of Parker and Lambert's remains instead of during the countdown,that way it could have been presented uncut with the complete dialogue instead of rushing the scene.

MrSpaceJockey

MrSpaceJockey

Wouldn't it be kind of weird though, for Ripley not to care that she just set part of the ship on fire if it were placed in that location?

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Dec 15, 2013, 10:29:42 PM
Wouldn't it be kind of weird though, for Ripley not to care that she just set part of the ship on fire if it were placed in that location?
Not really since the plan was to destroy the ship and escape in the shuttle.

Valaquen

Valaquen

I love the design of the Alien's resin and the cocoons but I honestly think the film works without it. Like Giger I never found the sequence to be so horrifying. The idea behind it was never fully explored: fans today still debate whether the hosts are transfigured into facehuggers or are merely a 'yolk' for the facehugger to feed on and grow (whats happens when the 'yolk' is devoured? Can the facehugger starve?) I still have to champion the Queen. I can't dislike it because O'Bannon/Scott/Giger never thought of it first.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Valaquen on Dec 15, 2013, 11:21:39 PM
I love the design of the Alien's resin and the cocoons but I honestly think the film works without it. Like Giger I never found the sequence to be so horrifying. The idea behind it was never fully explored

Aye, I agree. Very interesting concept and a cool delete scene, but I feel like the concept could be executed in a much more horrifying manner. Prometheus 2, anybody? ;)

Also, started going through your new article a bit. Really cool stuff.

SM

SM

It's probably one of the more horrifying aspects of the film.  To see how Dallas is gradually losing it, and contemplating what the process is doing to him, and how he's aware of it.  That shit's nasty.

It would've been better if inserted prior to initiating the self destruct as per the script, but as it stands Riddles was correct to cut it because the film just comes to a screeching halt.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I still need to watch the extended cut and see how it feels right in the film. Only ever seen it as a a deleted scene.

SM

SM

The truncated cut you mean?  ;D

If they moved the scene to it's original location and left in the shots of Ripley hearing Dallas weeping, and then picking up the manhole to go down to C deck, it might've worked.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: SM on Dec 15, 2013, 11:48:07 PM
The truncated cut you mean?  ;D

Haha, forgot about that :D I was just trying to refrain from calling it a 'Director's Cut' :P

SM

SM

Well that's its proper name after all.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Yeah, I know, just feel a bit reluctant to do so with the theatrical cut being Ridley's preferred.

SM

SM

And the Special Edition of Aliens being Cameron's preferred and yet it's not called a Directors Cut.

Go figure. ;D

Valaquen

Valaquen

I think -and SM and SiL will definitely know- that a fan version of the film has the untruncated scene, as well as a ton of other cool shots.

SM

SM

I know of it, but have never watched it.

Pretty sure they used the full deleted scene that Xeno Alphe posted above.  We'll never see an eleven minute version methinks.  How they wrung that much footage out of a page and a half boggles the mind.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed