Shogun (FX)

Started by ace3g, Dec 11, 2020, 12:33:01 AM

Author
Shogun (FX) (Read 4,139 times)

Cougerboy

Cougerboy

Quote from: SM on Feb 07, 2024, 04:15:10 AMMy but aren't we touchy.

If there isn't big fanbase (putting aside people who didn't know or forgot it even existed) then it's not likely to live in any shadow.  One would think.

Well you do seem to have a habit of reading comprehension problems.

There are devoted fans of the 1980 series, whether you can think that is a big "fanbase" or not is irrelevant to me. But because the Richard Chamberlain version has a following, some will always point out the differences between the two adaptations, for better or worse.

Quote from: SiL on Feb 07, 2024, 04:17:09 AMAsking if it will live in the original's shadow does imply that the original is big enough and well known enough to be casting a shadow.

You are implying stuff that is not there, as usual. There is following to the 1980 series, whether its big or small is immaterial. The important thing is that it will be compared to the 1980 series. That in turn will lead more people to look into the comparison.

Of course, if you want to stir this up into a troll fight, I can always have a chat with the mod about you.

SM

SM

The Shogun 1980 miniseries fanbase has been engaged.

Cougerboy

Cougerboy

Quote from: SM on Feb 07, 2024, 04:20:35 AMThe Shogun 1980 miniseries fanbase has been engaged.

And some are definitely not liking this FX adaptation.

SM

SM

I'm going to follow them along with 43 other people on Facebook and see what they say when it comes out. Maybe they'll post something for the first time in 11 years.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100066504790774

Cougerboy

Cougerboy

Quote from: SM on Feb 07, 2024, 04:27:12 AMI'm going to follow them along with 43 other people on Facebook and see what they say when it comes out. Maybe they'll post something for the first time in 11 years.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100066504790774

That facebook group is hardly the definitive site for fans of the 1980 series. Clearly you don't seem to know enough about the fans of the 1980 series.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Feb 07, 2024, 04:20:35 AMThe Shogun 1980 miniseries fanbase has been engaged.

Cougerboy

Cougerboy

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 07, 2024, 04:36:11 AM

You look funny in that photo. Have you actually typed any post of value on this forum? I have to wonder... ;D

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I take great pride in never having posted anything of value in this forum.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Cougerboy on Feb 07, 2024, 04:17:57 AMThere is following to the 1980 series, whether its big or small is immaterial.
It's really not if we're talking about it living in its shadow. The only people for whom it would be in a shadow is that fanbase -- which is quite small, and not really worth worrying about how they compare the two.

Something like Alien or Predator or Star Wars casts shadows because they're still in the public conscience.

Something like Shogun is something I wouldn't even know existed if one of my brothers wasn't such a fan of the book.

At worst we might worry it ends up being just as forgotten as the original miniseries (which, from memory, I quite enjoyed, but completely forgot existed until this thread came up).

Cougerboy

Cougerboy

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 07, 2024, 04:43:28 AMI take great pride in never having posted anything of value in this forum.

Which is why I like poking you.  ;D

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: SiL on Feb 07, 2024, 04:43:56 AMAt worst we might worry it ends up being just as forgotten as the original miniseries (which, from memory, I quite enjoyed, but completely forgot existed until this thread came up).

I frequently lose sleep worrying about them remaking The Thorn Birds.

Cougerboy

Cougerboy

Quote from: SiL on Feb 07, 2024, 04:43:56 AM
Quote from: Cougerboy on Feb 07, 2024, 04:17:57 AMThere is following to the 1980 series, whether its big or small is immaterial.
It's really not if we're talking about it living in its shadow. The only people for whom it would be in a shadow is that fanbase -- which is quite small, and not really worth worrying about how they compare the two.

Something like Alien or Predator or Star Wars casts shadows because they're still in the public conscience.

Something like Shogun is something I wouldn't even know existed if one of my brothers wasn't such a fan of the book.

At worst we might worry it ends up being just as forgotten as the original miniseries (which, from memory, I quite enjoyed, but completely forgot existed until this thread came up).

The 1980 series...was a byproduct of course of the Shogun the novel's popularity. The book can't be compared to Star Wars or Predator, obviously in terms of fanbase size. But it does have a devoted and passionate following. Its easy to forget now, but when the novel first came out in the mid 70's it had a huge impact on Western popular understanding of Japan. Remember, this was a time when Japan economy was zooming upwards. Japanese products were hitting Western markets, whether in terms of cars (Toyota, Honda etc) or consumer electronics (i.e. Sony Walkman), as a result, the West took an increased interest in Japan's history and culture. And Shogun was the perfect entry to that world for many of them.

There was a survey taken in the early 80's in a Japanese history college course, and most students took that course because they read Shogun.

So you may say it won't matter, but to some the comparison do matter a lot.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Cougerboy on Feb 07, 2024, 04:49:16 AMRemember, this was a time when Japan economy was zooming upwards.

You're not gonna give Kissinger props for that too, are you?  He was way too young to be responsible for bombing Japan into an era of economic prosperity.

Cougerboy

Cougerboy

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 07, 2024, 04:55:12 AM
Quote from: Cougerboy on Feb 07, 2024, 04:49:16 AMRemember, this was a time when Japan economy was zooming upwards.

You're not gonna give Kissinger props for that too, are you?  He was way too young to be responsible for bombing Japan into an era of economic prosperity.

Hehehe, you clearly have no clue about Japanese history. Why am I not surprised one bit... :laugh:

Wait, don't tell me, Japan economy boomed because you went over there to make everything work right?  :laugh:

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I saw The Last Samurai three times! >:(

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed