Started by Kradan, Feb 05, 2019, 10:28:12 PM

What is better?

The Predator
72 (55%)
AVPR
59 (45%)

Total Members Voted: 131

Author
The Predator VS AVPR (Read 51,884 times)

Kradan

Kradan

I love Whyte playing Predators. Prince did good job but as was pointed above we actually got so little of him  :'(

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Ian Whyte overacts as the Predator, it is especially obvious when he plays Celtic, head cocking.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Yeah I see that a bit for Celtic. For Wolf I thought that was part of his charm though  ;D

Kradan

Kradan

All of you who were pissed how autism was portrayed in The Predator should watch this:

Spoiler
[close]

Truly a hidden gem

426Buddy

426Buddy

I have a son with autism and while it was represented terribly in The Predator I wasn't really offended or upset by it to much.

However Autism becoming part of a running joke when people talk about the film has been pretty depressing. Seems to only become more of a talking point as the film ages and usually comes off as inappropriate or callous.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: 426Buddy on Apr 09, 2021, 11:24:12 AM
I have a son with autism and while it was represented terribly in The Predator I wasn't really offended or upset by it to much.

However Autism becoming part of a running joke when people talk about the film has been pretty depressing. Seems to only become more of a talking point as the film ages and usually comes off as inappropriate or callous.

Sorry you're feeling that way 426Buddy.

It's hard. I don't think anyone here is making fun of the developmental disability itself, or anyone or any family challenged by it, just the ridiculous nature of how the Assassin Upgrade Predator covets it. This often results in the movie being teased for Black and Dekker's creative choices, but never the condition itself is mocked. I would never want that line to be blurred, that's for certain.

It's hard because as an official entry to the franchise, "The Predator" will always be discussed among Predator fans until the end of time, and subsequently likely criticized for that aspect for the same duration.

I do remember though you were educating us on Autism back in 2018 when "The Predator" was released and on the depiction of Rory and the next step of evolution claims, and that was extremely helpful (at least to me). I'll always appreciate that.  :)

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I wonder if Shane Black knows his poor character was not only evicerated by a Predator, but then through another Predator's incompetence his f**king gravestone was obliterated.

Kradan

Kradan

I'm sorry, haven't meant to hurt your feelings, 426Buddy. I've recently re-watched Mary & Max which among others deals with the issue of autism (something that is unfortuanetly strongly connected in people's minds to The Predator) in a much more respectful way and I just haven't thought of a better way to let people know about its existence. I mean, it's really well-done claymation cartoon with lots of heart in it and I don't think I've ever heard it being talked about here or anywhere else

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: Tichinde on Jul 24, 2020, 04:57:04 PM
What you guys didn't like the brutal murder of pregnant women and their unborn fully developed fetuses via unconsensual makeout and eventual belly bursting?

Best part of the movie imo.

Quote from: Tichinde on Jul 24, 2020, 05:32:20 AM
Okay but it is it universally agreed female predators would give like the best head ever? 🥵

Spoiler
Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Jul 26, 2020, 11:38:14 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jul 26, 2020, 09:47:24 PM
Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Jul 26, 2020, 09:07:26 PM]
A single human can also take out a Predator with a good weapon, difference is, the weapons that we see killing the aliens quickly are usually futuristic weapons, with the only exception being Hick's shotgun.

And that's a big exception. But it really comes to intelligence and the Xenomorph's lack thereof. I'm not saying the Alien is deprived of intelligence... cutting the power etc.... but I equate this all to man versus beast. Why man is able to defeat the lion is the weapons man creates, the technology they create. Their minds make them superior. You strip a human down and they are no match for the lion. And the same goes with the Predator versus the Alien, albeit they're tougher than humans. But Predators' ability to craft tools, weapons, etc give them a gigantic imbalance of power over the Xenomorph. And that's why I don't see the Yautja breeding Aliens, and paying for it often severely, as an insult.

Not a big exception, the shotgun in question was inside the Alien's mouth, and shotguns are pretty destructive.
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DisloyalJadedEarthworm-size_restricted.gif

Aliens are shown to be way, way smarter than what you are saying, knowing how our tech works, being able to understand what we are trying to say like in Aliens, learning how we think and learning from theirs mistakes, the whole point is that they aren't just beasts, they are more than that, they aren't just animals, I mean, we have characters saying stuff like this only to be killed later for a reason lol
https://i.imgur.com/X71UkV8.gif

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Alien and Predator, what I don't like is how Alien Vs Predator has been executed so far (You and me both know how AvP badly affected the Preds and their faces), I just feel like both haven't had a proper versus yet, specially since most of them resort around Preds wanting to hunt, I would love to have a horror story from the point of view from a lone Predator on an alien infested colony, thinking he was going in for only a human hunt.
I love both Franchises almost equally and I want them to have a proper clash, I also think Predator lore is better off without the aliens and vice versa. Having the Xenos be this unknown and super rare dangerous species is way better than them being easily found and farmable. And having the Predators be this xenophobic and secretive species that hunts warriors from more primitive societies for sport, rituals and honor (NOT for DNA and autism.), having numerous clans that at times are at war is way better than what we got in 2018, luckily for us Predator is being fixed atm, we can only hope Alien also gets a lore revamp like Pred is getting.
Again, I love both Alien and Predator, just wish both were treated better, they were both my childhood back in 2005, I remember watching AvP and liking it when I was around 6 years old. My old man would go on to introduce me to the original movies, still remember him bringing a copy of Predator 2 home when he came back from a work trip, good times
[close]

Top tier post opinion.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 09, 2021, 12:18:46 PM

It's hard. I don't think anyone here is making fun of the developmental disability itself, or anyone or any family challenged by it, just the ridiculous nature of how the Assassin Upgrade Predator covets it. This often results in the movie being teased for Black and Dekker's creative choices, but never the condition itself is mocked. I would never want that line to be blurred, that's for certain.

It's hard because as an official entry to the franchise, "The Predator" will always be discussed among Predator fans until the end of time, and subsequently likely criticized for that aspect for the same duration.

I do remember though you were educating us on Autism back in 2018 when "The Predator" was released and on the depiction of Rory and the next step of evolution claims, and that was extremely helpful (at least to me). I'll always appreciate that.  :)

All good Voodoo, it's not bad here, most of us are pretty great and understanding. More talking about The Predator discussion on the internet in general. I'm touched you remembered that discussion though :).

Also as an update my son has been doing great. We have found a new ABA therapy company and they
have been truly amazing. Previous companies were literally a nightmare of epic proportions. He can communicate a bit better so his frustrations are much less. Also the self injuring and violent outbursts have gone down to almost 0 now. Some mild face slapping has returned but I'm confident we'll get past that too. He'll be 6 this year and will have to start school this fall... I'm so terrified of that.

Quote from: Kradan on Apr 09, 2021, 12:59:02 PM

I'm sorry, haven't meant to hurt your feelings, 426Buddy. I've recently re-watched Mary & Max which among others deals with the issue of autism (something that is unfortuanetly strongly connected in people's minds to The Predator) in a much more respectful way and I just haven't thought of a better way to let people know about its existence. I mean, it's really well-done claymation cartoon with lots of heart in it and I don't think I've ever heard it being talked about here or anywhere else

No worries Kradan, you're good. I haven't watched the video yet as it's been an especially emotional morning for me already lol so will probably get to it another day.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: 426Buddy on Apr 09, 2021, 01:25:49 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 09, 2021, 12:18:46 PM

All good Voodoo, it's not bad here, most of us are pretty great and understanding. More talking about The Predator discussion on the internet in general. I'm touched you remembered that discussion though :).

Also as an update my son has been doing great. We have found a new ABA therapy company and they
have been truly amazing. Previous companies were literally a nightmare of epic proportions. He can communicate a bit better so his frustrations are much less. Also the self injuring and violent outbursts have gone down to almost 0 now. Some mild face slapping has returned but I'm confident we'll get past that too. He'll be 6 this year and will have to start school this fall... I'm so terrified of that.

Aw man, that's fantastic. Wonderful to hear about your son's improvements!

Yeah, terrified. I get that. They say just sending your kids off to school in general can cause more anxiety for the parents than the children themselves. I'm sure it will get easier, but that first day? Oofa. Definitely take a day off from work on that first day of school if you can (if you're working).

AliceApocalypse

AliceApocalypse

Quote from: 426Buddy on Apr 09, 2021, 01:25:49 PM

A public school or a private/charter school?  I had to put mine in a private school due to some setbacks she has.  It made a world of difference.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Glad to hear things have improved, for you Buddy and also Apocalypse.

Kradan

Kradan

AVPR is a movie that tries to be dramatic with its human characters, scary with Aliens and badass with Predators. And while I genuinely like Wolf (looks, body language, tech etc.) and wish the movie was dedicated to nothing but him hunting Aliens it fails to make me feel anything towards main human cast (apart from sheriff Morales, I like him). Human characters are just SO unimaginative and cliched to me I don't care for any of them dying. Whole teenagers love plot makes my skin crawl. Aliens are portrayed as dumb movie monsters that exist to scare children and to be killed by Wolf in a badass looking way which is NOT ACCEPTABLE.

The Predator is a movie that goes for goofy, light tone and it makes no mistake about what it is, it's very much self-aware what kind of movie it is. I mean, movie that has Predator spitting on the car, PredDogs, kid wearing a Predator mask for Halloween, bunch of crazy ex-militaries making pussy jokes and man shitting metal ball doesn't really ring "serious", does it ? And I root for each member of the Loonies more than for anybody in AVPR where I just wait for people to be killed in horrific way to laugh. I like characters interactions, I feel something when Lynch gets his hand blown off, Coyle and Baxlie shoot each other or when Nebraska throws himself in spaceship's engine. As for the Predators, It's fair, if you take movie's portrayal of them as mocking but IMO it doesn't really try to hide what it's doing

In the end of the day, both movies have their share of problems but I enjoyed the one that knew what it was and was more honest about it more

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Spoiler
🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed