Recent posts

Alien Films / Re: Best pic of an Alien
Last post by Kradan - Today at 11:09:20 AM
Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Today at 09:21:50 AM... the second one actually looks like a guy in a suit  ;D

Far too chubby in the waist area
Last post by SiL - Today at 10:50:34 AM
Thank you both! I'd seen it asserted but not the supporting arguments.
Last post by xeno_alpha_07 - Today at 10:46:40 AM
Quote from: SiL on Today at 10:15:42 AMI've seen people describe it as a head crush, but the inner jaw and its use was decided by the time the suit was done and used in filming. I think rough cuts were done before the inserts and it just looks like the Alien is crushing Brett's head, but the blood was always meant to be from the bite.

Unless there's some BTS I've overlooked that confirms otherwise.

While the head bite was part of the original plan, Ridley sought to enhance the scene by introducing the concept of head squeezing, etc:

QuoteRidley brought me onto the stage and said: 'I want Brett to get it now, but I just don't want the creature to dart out and menace him to start with. I'd rather have it reach out and sort of caress his head -- almost kind of inquisitive at first. Then you see it squeeze up, and blood starts running down Brett's face, and it cracks his head open.' So we ended up doing it almost on the spur of the moment. We ran blood tubes up into Harry Dean Stanton's cap and through his hair. Then, when the alien started squeezing, we started pumping, and the blood ran out and down his face.

- Alien Effects Book

The presence of blood was initially intended due to the head being squeezed or crushed before the head bite occurred. 

*Edit*

Wrote this before seeing Elmazalman's reply.
Last post by Elmazalman - Today at 10:44:17 AM
Quote from: SiL on Today at 10:15:42 AMI've seen people describe it as a head crush, but the inner jaw and its use was decided by the time the suit was done and used in filming. I think rough cuts were done before the inserts and it just looks like the Alien is crushing Brett's head, but the blood was always meant to be from the bite.

The blood's coming from the Alien squeezing Brett's head open (Alien Ambience article from 1980). Scott, wanted the Alien to come in and gently caress Brett's head, before violently crushing it in its hands.

Walter Simonson, also described Brett's original death scene: first a head crush, then followed by a head-bite.

That's not to say the raw footage of the dripping blood couldn't also be edited to be a head-bite if needed.

Recreational Area / Re: Last Movie You Watched
Last post by TheDerelict - Today at 10:39:17 AM
Fight Club.
Is was 18 in 1999 and when I saw this film in the cinema I was bored to death watching it. Very disappointed.
Now, I've seen it a dozen times at least and it's in my top ten films of all time. An absolute masterpiece that makes me very nostalgic for probably the best years of my life between 1998 and 2001.
Last post by SiL - Today at 10:15:42 AM
I've seen people describe it as a head crush, but the inner jaw and its use was decided by the time the suit was done and used in filming. I think rough cuts were done before the inserts and it just looks like the Alien is crushing Brett's head, but the blood was always meant to be from the bite.

Last post by Elmazalman - Today at 10:12:22 AM
That production still looks like it's from the deleted 'head crush' scene?

It could also be an earlier (far bloodier) version of the head-bite (ultimately, a quick insert shot in the finished film) - the way the Alien's face / mouth is close up against the baseball cap ...

Whatever it is, it's an incredible visual. The blood is so red ...
Alien: Romulus / Re: Why Alien: Romulus pits th...
Last post by SiL - Today at 10:04:27 AM
The drool is falling down from the mouth, parallel to the guy. So outside of a technical mistake, the floor is towards the bottom of the image and the Alien is on a wall on the right of frame, arching its back to look the guy in the face.
Last post by SiL - Today at 09:51:57 AM
Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Today at 09:21:50 AMThe first one looks far bloodier than what's in the film, and the second one actually looks like a guy in a suit  ;D
For the mid shot they had a tube under the hat pumping blood, but in the film they didn't use that angle and just went straight from a super tight close up of the impact to the shot from behind.
Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Today at 09:20:05 AM
Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Today at 03:06:20 AMThe only damage done to that Xeno in the new photo is the scar on his face. The whole dome is there, just behind his shoulders.

The xenomorph isn't standing in this photo. It's crawling up a wall. Meaning his head is in a different position than it would be. He's basically looking upward.

I have trouble picturing the scene. In the photo I can't see the alien crawling up a wall, but I'm probably tired  :laugh:

That's because you don't know the layout of that space they are in that photo! Once people see the context of the scene, it'll all make sense to them.
AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed