The Game's Development Story Discussion

Started by Salt The Fries, Feb 08, 2013, 08:18:47 PM

Author
The Game's Development Story Discussion (Read 102,336 times)

Le Celticant

A lot of bad things probably happened.
I could spot in several videos of gameplay missing polygons to mesh.
As I stated on GBX forums I just need to open Autodesk Maya, Select the Mesh, Shift + Right Mouse > Append Polygon tool and merge two edges so there's not backface culling missing face.

This is noob, this is really noob stuff and they had 6 years to do a 2 seconds job.

ALSO, if you take a look back to the first screenshot they uploaded, apart from the Gamma of pictures that wasn't correct due to the lack of ingame color correction I believe and / or the fact they probably did not set up at this early stage the Linear Workflow of the game, everything but sincerely EVERYTHING apart the alien mesh hasn't change a bit.
Even the shading/Lightning looks similar why they haven't stopped to tell us they were going to work with their own light system that was going to be spectacular.

I'm almost starting to think that this is an April fool. Ah no! Sorry! February is the month.

ShadowPred

Found the actual post that Ikarop made about this...and it doesn't work anymore...all you can get is the image that Ikarop posted along with the link which no longer works.

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=34412.msg1599951#msg1599951

Regardless of what he designed, that final line saying that he wished they'd focused on the game rather than the license is completely true from we have seen in the last couple of days.

Predaker

He is just making comments about what he would do without any constraints, not lambasting the game for trying too hard to be authentic. People read too much into these kinds of things and that is exactly why the link is broken now. The other five pages should be around here somewhere, someone saved the images I am sure.

Le Celticant

Quote from: ShadowPred on Feb 09, 2013, 12:47:14 AM
Found the actual post that Ikarop made about this...and it doesn't work anymore...all you can get is the image that Ikarop posted along with the link which no longer works.

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=34412.msg1599951#msg1599951

Regardless of what he designed, that final line saying that he wished they'd focused on the game rather than the license is completely true from we have seen in the last couple of days.

Funny, I just noticed that there's a lot of chance that this picture was rendered using VRay.
I can almost feel the pass of specular, diffuse, reflection, refraction, ID color correction, shadow map and Ambient Occlusion.

Or maybe they used some kind of advanced UT3 engine that doesn't do well with consoles.

OpenMaw

If you look closely, all the aliens are in the exact same pose. Many of the shots of the game released at that time were mock ups.

JustaGrunt

Thank you for doing the research and finding the picture, ShadowPred.  I had tried to find the information on the person's site as well, but couldn't find anything anymore.  Well, now that the picture has resurfaced, it is what it is.  Is the information alluding to a troubled production?  Is it being misinterpreted?  That's up to the reader to decide.  All I know is that there are many people unhappy right now and it seems to me that this employee may have had special insight on how things were working on the inside regarding the game. 

My major take-away from his final comment was "focusing less on the license and more on making a great FPS."  That, to me, suggests that he didn't feel like that they were given the type of direction and support that would have allowed them to make a great FPS. 

ShadowPred

Quote from: Predaker on Feb 09, 2013, 12:53:55 AM
He is just making comments about what he would do without any constraints, not lambasting the game for trying too hard to be authentic. People read too much into these kinds of things and that is exactly why the link is broken now. The other five pages should be around here somewhere, someone saved the images I am sure.

Yeah, I can see what you're saying, but the comment, despite it being just about one guy talking about so and so - it's now even more relevant when you look at all the posts about this game, mostly all negative on this site. It actually does feel like the game was less focused on making a good game, and more about the license. I even felt this way before the game was even out, at least as recently as last month, I was hoping for this to no be the case, but all the people playing it have convinced me that I wasn't wrong in thinking the way I do.

piff

is it a classic game?

no, that last classic avp game was avp2.

its even more populated then the avp 2010 game....

Im sure this game will also die a slow death do to the fact that its just a console port and wont allow mods...

Xenomorphine

Never yet played an AVP game which does justice to either of the licences it's based on.

That screen was interesting (and slightly alarming, since AVP 2010 disallowed crouching, but allowed light destruction, whereas this title seems to be the opposite), yet, doesn't address a single one of the gameplay issues which should have been improved.

The biggest flaw about the game, ironically, seems to be that everyone involved in it was locked into the formulaic game mindset. Forcing the licence's existing elements into a typical shooter template, rather than using them to improve it and making something innovative.

Salt The Fries

Bunch of fanboys with closed minds circle-jerked over the licence and thought the game is fun only to themselves, but couldn't ever get to think outside the box, be objective about it so they remained in this stagnancy...

Xenomorphine

The plot thickens...

Or, as I shall say from now on:

GEARBOXED!

UDA

Quote from: piff on Feb 09, 2013, 01:12:31 AM
is it a classic game?

no, that last classic avp game was avp2.

its even more populated then the avp 2010 game....

Im sure this game will also die a slow death do to the fact that its just a console port and wont allow mods...

Almost all games will go this way now. It's not profitable to have a modification system.

Shai`tan

"Bunch of fanboys with closed minds circle-jerked over the licence and thought the game is fun only to themselves, but couldn't ever get to think outside the box, be objective about it so they remained in this stagnancy..."

I totally agree with this statement. Well said.

OpenMaw

Quote from: UDA on Feb 09, 2013, 09:19:26 AM
Almost all games will go this way now. It's not profitable to have a modification system.

That's iffy. Duke Nukem 3D, a game made in 1996, is STILL SELLING new copies on sites like GOG, specifically because it was open sourced and great mods like Duke Nukem Eternity, Duke Plus, and the Duke HRP were possible. That means the owners of the game IP are still making bank on it.

So yeah, in the short term, the first months after the games release? It might hurt DLC sales.... But if the company is strong, and healthy, you can make a lot of money over a long stretch of time.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed