The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread

Started by Shasvre, Apr 19, 2011, 10:36:01 PM

Author
The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread (Read 464,337 times)

Biomechanoid

Quote from: LastSonofKrypton on May 15, 2019, 09:36:27 PM
Spoiler
What makes it worse is that they took an extra year out to work on this season, and the final product is severely lacking
[close]

One other note to add to this. I mentioned in another thread I also participate at movieforums.com. A member over there posted, "HBO OFFERED to give them as many episodes as they needed and they said no we're fine with 6."

I had not read that anywhere else, I wonder if this true they had a choice to flesh out the final season's story. That also seems to indicate HBO was not strapping them with any significant budget limitations or length of viewing time constraints.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: Biomechanoid on May 15, 2019, 11:55:02 PMI had not read that anywhere else, I wonder if this true they had a choice to flesh out the final season's story. That also seems to indicate HBO was not strapping them with any significant budget limitations or length of viewing time constraints.

Someone on Reddit linked to a D&D interview a few days ago, where they talked about this, how they had apparently always had a "rougly 73 hours" runtime in mind and didn't want to budge on that, even though HBO offered them more episodes.

Would share the link, but I don't even remember which subreddit it was posted on. :P

Local Trouble

Spoiler
I wonder if this episode will retroactively gain more acceptance if Dany explains her actions in the finale.  Tyrion may keep his mouth shut out of fear for his life, but Jon is brave enough to actually throw a WTF at her.  I'm fully prepared for her to pull the "you did this" card from the abuser playbook.
[close]

Biomechanoid

Quote from: Shasvre on May 16, 2019, 12:29:11 AM
Someone on Reddit linked to a D&D interview a few days ago, where they talked about this, how they had apparently always had a "rougly 73 hours" runtime in mind and didn't want to budge on that, even though HBO offered them more episodes.

Would share the link, but I don't even remember which subreddit it was posted on. :P

Not necessary, I don't doubt your memory what you read.

So it is true....that's a head-scratcher.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 16, 2019, 12:37:25 AM
Spoiler
I wonder if this episode will retroactively gain more acceptance if Dany explains her actions in the finale.  Tyrion may keep his mouth shut out of fear for his life, but Jon is brave enough to actually throw a WTF at her.  I'm fully prepared for her to pull the "you did this" card from the abuser playbook.
[close]

What would be sufficient though. I can't think of anything. The people I've spoke to that don't mind it seem to just run with "she's got the gene"  or "it's game of thrones"

Local Trouble

I doubt anything would be sufficient for all the people who were emotionally invested in her being the Big Damn Hero of the story.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 16, 2019, 01:14:53 AM
I doubt anything would be sufficient for all the people who were emotionally invested in her being the Big Damn Hero of the story.

Personally I didn't care, liked Jon better. Was still weird though.

Local Trouble

Was it really though?  Hell hath no fury...

Highland

Highland

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 16, 2019, 01:41:40 AM

In a show that pays (or did) attention to detail with large character arcs it's definitely weird. Like others have mentioned, there probably should have at least been a catalyst, like Euron wiping out a bunch of troops with a scorpion after they've surrendered and she's like ok screw this.

Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid

Hell hath no fury...

Spoiler
.....like a woman scorned.... there's that, but I see her fury as more heritage influenced than gender influenced......though her hatred for Cersi, the sadistic pleasure she takes in watching her enemies suffer, and the loss of ones close to her didn't exactly contribute to her mental stability either.
[close]

Quote from: Shasvre on May 15, 2019, 10:20:27 PM
With only one more episode to wrap things up, how do you guys think the show will end?

From a character's mindset, even if Jon Snow retreats to the North, I see Dany obsessing over the fact that there is someone out there in the realm that arguably has more rightful claim by birth to the throne than her and she will not rest till she eliminates that threat.

From a writer's mindset, stick your hand in the mystery box and who knows what you will pull out.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Highland on May 16, 2019, 01:57:46 AM

In a show that pays (or did) attention to detail with large character arcs it's definitely weird. Like others have mentioned, there probably should have at least been a catalyst, like Euron wiping out a bunch of troops with a scorpion after they've surrendered and she's like ok screw this.

But it wasn't just with Dany where arcs were tossed..

Spoiler

Cersei's arc? She was handled almost like a sympathetic victim in a Romeo and Juliet ending with her incestuous brother Jamie, who's redemption arc of his own was ditched.

And after all this time, all these years, after all this preparation, Arya Stark finally reaches the Red Keep only to stop her quest for vengeance after a 20 second conversation and an assumption Cersei will die?

And she apparently has 9 lives like a cat.

It all was mishandled so poorly.  :-\ 
[close]

Highland

Highland

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 16, 2019, 03:11:42 AM
Quote from: Highland on May 16, 2019, 01:57:46 AM

But it wasn't just with Dany where arcs were tossed..

Spoiler

Cersei's arc? She was handled almost like a sympathetic victim in a Romeo and Juliet ending with her incestuous brother Jamie, who's redemption arc of his own was ditched.

And after all this time, all these years, after all this preparation, Arya Stark finally reaches the Red Keep only to stop her quest for vengeance after a 20 second conversation and an assumption Cersei will die?

And she apparently has 9 lives like a cat.

It all was mishandled so poorly.  :-\ 
[close]

Aye they were all a bit sudden. The ability to survive multiple rockfalls was getting a bit Austin Powers.

"I'm still alive , I'm just very badly burned!" 

I like Arya though, I think everyone does.

The Hound has the best arc in the series, no contest, doesn't matter what happens now.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Biomechanoid on May 16, 2019, 03:02:01 AM
Hell hath no fury...

.....like a woman scorned.... there's that, but I see her fury as more heritage influenced than gender influenced......

I was thinking more about scorn of a continental magnitude.  Unlike the slaves of Essos, Dany has liberated no one in Westeros and doesn't enjoy the popular adoration that she became accustomed to in the east.

Even in the north, where the people should be the most grateful to her, she is still regarded with suspicion and resentment.  In short, they still don't love her regardless of the painful sacrifices she's made and I'm sure that really pisses her off.

Quote from: Biomechanoid on May 16, 2019, 03:02:01 AMFrom a character's mindset, even if Jon Snow retreats to the North, I see Dany obsessing over the fact that there is someone out there in the realm that arguably has more rightful claim by birth to the throne than her and she will not rest till she eliminates that threat.

Assuming "taking the black" is still a thing, he could always do what Maester Aemon did.

The Kurgan

The Kurgan

Quote from: Biomechanoid on May 16, 2019, 03:02:01 AM
Hell hath no fury...

.....like a woman scorned.... there's that, but I see her fury as more heritage influenced than gender influenced......though her hatred for Cersi, the sadistic pleasure she takes in watching her enemies suffer, and the loss of ones close to her didn't exactly contribute to her mental stability either.

Local Trouble

Speaking of sadism, I always thought it was cold as f**k when she sealed Xaro Xhoan Daxos and Doreah in his vault.

And that's before she indiscriminately crucified all the masters of Mereen.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed