Fede Alvarez working on new Alien film!

Started by MudButt, Mar 04, 2022, 10:06:48 PM

Author
Fede Alvarez working on new Alien film! (Read 64,530 times)

Prez

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 07, 2022, 01:47:54 AM
That's what I was exactly saying two months ago, and then wam, bam, thank you ma'am Voodoo!

https://media1.giphy.com/media/BtEw37CXZti8yfq3Ke/giphy.gif?cid=6c09b95237172d20c932d94d3ae43d41d95758daf3e663df&rid=giphy.gif

End credits rolling and we see.

Special thanks to:
Voodoo

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: RidgeTop on Mar 06, 2022, 11:10:46 AM
Quote from: Kradan on Mar 06, 2022, 07:11:37 AM
I see RidgeTop is handling thumbnails now  ;)

RidgeTop's always been handling the thumbnails :P.

Pft. I believe the ratio is likely the other direction. But general rule of thumb - if it's some nice looking photoshop on the Motion Tracker ones, it's RT. If it's not, it's me.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 06, 2022, 10:49:10 AM
I didn't watch it yet.  Were there F bombs?

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/80/95/c6/8095c6f3ec806d836029484625559884.gif

Do not believe so.  :laugh:

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 06, 2022, 12:05:48 PM
Quote from: Sabres21768 on Mar 05, 2022, 07:15:47 PM
As long as Ridley isn't attached to this, I'm in.

I really never understood this position personally to be honest. From a general public's perception, he's made one out of three good Alien films. He's a father of the classic 1979 Alien, indeed, but he's one of many fathers. And I wouldn't want anyone who's deeply in a position of 'the beast is cooked' to helm a new Alien film...

I genuinely fear Ridley's narrative influence these days. Just let Scott Free pay the bills, and use the name as a selling point.

Quote from: 426Buddy on Mar 06, 2022, 12:20:42 PM
I'm gutted that Hicks doesn't like the Evil Dead series or Sam Raimi 😆

I tried. I couldn't take them seriously and I just didn't like the corniness. The charm didn't appeal to me.

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Mar 06, 2022, 01:42:42 PM

He's known to have the opposite of good taste regarding the Spider-Man franchise so that's unsurprising.

Pft. The original trilogy didn't age well (though SM2 is still fantastic). But I just prefer Garfield and Holland over McGuire.

Quote from: RidgeTop on Mar 06, 2022, 10:13:54 PM
Part of me does still want to see the prequel trilogy completed. Regardless of my personal feelings, I know they have their fans and they deserve a conclusion to David's story with a film that doesn't end on a cliffhanger.

No thank you. I do not want to risk that in the slightest.

Honestly, I'm excited. I can't not be when a new project is announced. But I'll swing down to cautiously optimistic as I usually do. But the very prospect is exciting to me. I've been wanting to see them take Alien down in scale - I think we talked about it on the "what we want for the future" podcast - to see what they can do. I enjoyed the Evil Dead remake - it was intense, it was creepy looking. One of only 2 films I ever had to walk out of the cinema for a breather outside, the other was due to too many flumps and too much pizza and gore combined. So I'm hoping we get some intensity and tension to this new one.

I'm going to go see Don't Breath though. It's generally well regarded and I like Lang. It's one of those ones that's been on my radar but just not committed to yet. Just really looking forward to hearing more about this.

Prez

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 07, 2022, 10:21:40 AM
Quote from: RidgeTop on Mar 06, 2022, 11:10:46 AM
Quote from: Kradan on Mar 06, 2022, 07:11:37 AM
I see RidgeTop is handling thumbnails now  ;)

RidgeTop's always been handling the thumbnails :P.

Pft. I believe the ratio is likely the other direction. But general rule of thumb - if it's some nice looking photoshop on the Motion Tracker ones, it's RT. If it's not, it's me.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 06, 2022, 10:49:10 AM
I didn't watch it yet.  Were there F bombs?

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/80/95/c6/8095c6f3ec806d836029484625559884.gif

Do not believe so.  :laugh:

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 06, 2022, 12:05:48 PM
Quote from: Sabres21768 on Mar 05, 2022, 07:15:47 PM
As long as Ridley isn't attached to this, I'm in.

I really never understood this position personally to be honest. From a general public's perception, he's made one out of three good Alien films. He's a father of the classic 1979 Alien, indeed, but he's one of many fathers. And I wouldn't want anyone who's deeply in a position of 'the beast is cooked' to helm a new Alien film...

I genuinely fear Ridley's narrative influence these days. Just let Scott Free pay the bills, and use the name as a selling point.

I tried. I couldn't take them seriously and I just didn't like the corniness. The charm didn't appeal to me.

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Mar 06, 2022, 01:42:42 PM

He's known to have the opposite of good taste regarding the Spider-Man franchise so that's unsurprising.

Pft. The original trilogy didn't age well (though SM2 is still fantastic). But I just prefer Garfield and Holland over McGuire.

Quote from: RidgeTop on Mar 06, 2022, 10:13:54 PM
Part of me does still want to see the prequel trilogy completed. Regardless of my personal feelings, I know they have their fans and they deserve a conclusion to David's story with a film that doesn't end on a cliffhanger.

No thank you. I do not want to risk that in the slightest.

Honestly, I'm excited. I can't not be when a new project is announced. But I'll swing down to cautiously optimistic as I usually do. But the very prospect is exciting to me. I've been wanting to see them take Alien down in scale - I think we talked about it on the "what we want for the future" podcast - to see what they can do. I enjoyed the Evil Dead remake - it was intense, it was creepy looking. One of only 2 films I ever had to walk out of the cinema for a breather outside, the other was due to too many flumps and too much pizza and gore combined. So I'm hoping we get some intensity and tension to this new one.

I'm going to go see Don't Breath though. It's generally well regarded and I like Lang. It's one of those ones that's been on my radar but just not committed to yet. Just really looking forward to hearing more about this.

Don't Breathe has for me the single most grossest scene I have ever watched in all my nearly 50 years ... and that's saying something seeing I've seen so many horror films in my life. You'll know which bit it is when you see it. I literally gagged.

dinosauriac

dinosauriac

Bit of a pity that it seems like Fox is officially out of the theatrical movie business, but weirdly streaming is where the quality is these days. Turn this into a feature-length anthology series and I'm in. Forget that thing Hawley's doing, just give us meaty standalone stories that are a slice of the alien universe, seeing them pop up in different places and times.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, there's dozens of great comics and novels in the expanded canon that would be great to adapt in this fashion. Each of the classic Dark Horse Comics series fits neatly into a 1.5 - 2 hour time slot. Kinda worried about whatever new take Alvarez has, but at least it's not Ridley directing (the franchise is named ALIEN, not Android!)

Avon42nd

This is devastating news as I was so looking forward to Scidley Rotts hotly anticipated Covenant 5.5:
"David & Walter Present The Flute sessions", a 2 and a half hour musical extravaganza featuring such hits as:
Resins to be Cheerful 3.5
Do You Believe in Magic? (teleporting eggs)
(Wey) Land of Make Believe
Shaddupaya Face (hugger)
Love Like (acid for) Blood
Xeno Go
Killer Queen
My Xenoration
Goo Are you? (Goo, Goo, Goo Goo..)
If I Can't Hive You
I'm The Urban Space Jockey
My Wey (featuring the man himself, Scidley Rott)
and many, many more I can't think of for now

Kimarhi

Why don't you guys just register so you can be funny all the time? :laugh:

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Kimarhi on Mar 09, 2022, 03:42:58 AM
Why don't you guys just register so you can be funny all the time? :laugh:

I reckon they're the Facebook people who already post frequently but over there. A bit of crossover banter on the main news threads here is all we get.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Prez on Mar 07, 2022, 05:57:20 AM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 07, 2022, 01:47:54 AM
That's what I was exactly saying two months ago, and then wam, bam, thank you ma'am Voodoo!

https://media1.giphy.com/media/BtEw37CXZti8yfq3Ke/giphy.gif?cid=6c09b95237172d20c932d94d3ae43d41d95758daf3e663df&rid=giphy.gif

End credits rolling and we see.

Special thanks to:
Voodoo

Too much to ask?  ;D

Dingbat

So, I'm assuming for us non-'Muricans it'll be on Disney +?

Corporal Hicks

We'll have to wait to see how they handle Prey, but I expect so. That's where the other Alien/Predator films are.

Immortan Jonesy

I like indie horror movies with content that the big studios don't see as profitable (Possessor, Midsommar, etc)

I wonder how safe 20th Century Studios is going to play with the Alien?

T Dog

Don't Breathe has for me the single most grossest scene I have ever watched in all my nearly 50 years ... and that's saying something seeing I've seen so many horror films in my life. You'll know which bit it is when you see it. I literally gagged.

Taste the Baste!!!!!

BigDaddyJohn

Alvarez is a good director, interesting to see his style applied to an alien movie.

NoStyleDutch

NoStyleDutch

I'm very excited to see Alvarez's take! I wish we knew what his specific interests are in the series, I'm hoping he was also fascinated by the original mystery of the space jockey and that we see some more Lovecraftian influence.

I should add that I mean a smaller scale, with only the faintest hints of a true space jockey over the engineers.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: NoStyleDutch on Mar 15, 2022, 10:11:52 PM
I'm very excited to see Alvarez's take! I wish we knew what his specific interests are in the series, I'm hoping he was also fascinated by the original mystery of the space jockey and that we see some more Lovecraftian influence.

I should add that I mean a smaller scale, with only the faintest hints of a true space jockey over the engineers.

Perhaps the Space Jockey has always been one of a kind, whether it's: David, a hybrid or mutated Engineer, a being that the Engineers have been emulating... which may or may not be their creator, etc. 

Anyway, as far as we can see with the little information we have, it's a standalone movie. I wonder if it's going to be like his Evil Dead movie, which is considered to be "soft reboot / continuation 'requel' of the original film series". 🤔

I haven't seen enough of his filmography to have any idea what scope we should expect from him, although at least we know that Ridley Scott is the producer.

But absolutely yeah! I want more alien geometries + eldritch abominations + transhuman abominations + cosmic horror + Giger aesthetics..please!  8)🙏

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed