Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 10, 2013, 08:24:08 PM

Author
Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series (Read 286,649 times)

RakaiThwei

If Ahab is fighting the Super Predators... then it sort of echoes a bit of Evolution. Not that angle is a bad thing, but I never really so much as played Evolution. As for Elden mutating.. I'm not so sure how to feel about that still.  :-\

Ultramorph

Quote from: RakaiThwei on May 04, 2014, 02:38:44 AM
If Ahab is fighting the Super Predators... then it sort of echoes a bit of Evolution. Not that angle is a bad thing, but I never really so much as played Evolution. As for Elden mutating.. I'm not so sure how to feel about that still.  :-\

I really need to play Evolution, it seems pretty neat. Maybe you could ask Sebela again about Super Preds?

As far as Elden goes, I understand your ambivalence toward the idea. My perspective is that I'm interested to see if Dark Horse can pull off story elements they tried 20 some odd years ago more successfully, IE bug-men type characters.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Ultramorph on May 04, 2014, 02:45:30 AM
I really need to play Evolution, it seems pretty neat. Maybe you could ask Sebela again about Super Preds?

I could but do I want to? I mean so far the pages kind of answered the questions which I asked at the fan Q&A. I would say maybe 80% of the questions I asked.. those pages answered.

Quote from: Ultramorph on May 04, 2014, 02:45:30 AM
As far as Elden goes, I understand your ambivalence toward the idea. My perspective is that I'm interested to see if Dark Horse can pull off story elements they tried 20 some odd years ago more successfully, IE bug-men type characters.

It's not so much the bug-man angle which I have a problem with. It's the idea of the black liquid somehow mutating an inorganic synthetic. Now, I could be wrong about synthetics being in-organic but I had read that they were made of a gelatinous material and some sort of fibres which are kept active by impulses. If the goo can somehow also affect inorganic material... then the question is how? That's what I am trying to wrap my head around and swallow, and so far I'm apprehensive about that.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Quote from: RakaiThwei on May 04, 2014, 02:52:15 AM
It's not so much the bug-man angle which I have a problem with. It's the idea of the black liquid somehow mutating an inorganic synthetic. Now, I could be wrong about synthetics being in-organic but I had read that they were made of a gelatinous material and some sort of fibres which are kept active by impulses. If the goo can somehow also affect inorganic material... then the question is how? That's what I am trying to wrap my head around and swallow, and so far I'm apprehensive about that.

That's definitely also a valid question. On that, all I can say is that we'll have to wait and see. Nothing wrong with waiting until these come out in trade to see if they're worth a purchase.

Rakai

I took the liberty of asking Sebela on Twitter "Are those Super Predators in the newest AvP preview?" He responded:

QuoteTHOSE aren't, no.

So he basically said that there are no Super Preds in the preview, while not ruling out that they may appear at some point. Looks like Olivetti was just taking inspiration from Predators.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Ultramorph on May 04, 2014, 03:07:57 AM
So he basically said that there are no Super Preds in the preview, while not ruling out that they may appear at some point. Looks like Olivetti was just taking inspiration from Predators.

That's the thing about Olivetti and Predators.. it's hit or miss with them. He can draw humans fine, Aliens fine but Predators? If it's not one thing, it's another.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: RakaiThwei on May 03, 2014, 08:41:32 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on May 03, 2014, 05:13:38 PM
What do you mean?

Like if the Black Goo can or should somehow infect and mutate synthetics.. Considering they are not organic as far as I know.
That's a pretty cool idea.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Xenomrph on May 04, 2014, 06:42:14 AM

:o

There is no appropriate emoticon for a double take.. So that will have to do.

happypred

happypred

I'm totally down for Ahab taking on Super Preds

So far...I think it's pretty certain that some incarnation of the Supers will be present

The single wrist blade, the different coloured armour, the funky mask design, lack of mesh, the fact Ahab decloaks after presumably stalking the several Supers

We know Ahab is the main pred, pretty sure he'll be killing a few Supers, which I'm totally looking forward to :P

EDIT: Oh yeah, I think Olivetti's predators have improved a lot. It's also possible that the he purposefully drew the Superman/Batman/AvP predators to be "un-predator-like". They were supposed to be some long lost off-shoot of the predators stranded on Earth since prehistory. Pretty sure they had developed into a separate subspecies with a unique culture (wasn't a fan of this comic...just stating it as it is).

In short, Olivetti's predators looked weird probably because they were supposed to look weird (oh yeah, his aliens looked fine):

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

RakaiThwei

Quote from: happypred on May 04, 2014, 03:05:48 PM
So far...I think it's pretty certain that some incarnation of the Supers will be present

And I was hoping I would never see these guys again. But I guess they're here to stay, damn it.

The single wrist blade, the different coloured armour, the funky mask design, lack of mesh, the fact Ahab decloaks after presumably stalking the several Supers

The thing is with the panels, Sebela did say that those weren't supposed to be Super Predators.. But they are drawn to look like Super Predators right down to the unusual foot anatomy. If they are not supposed to be Super Predators, why are they drawn to look like them? Borrowing designs sure but.. it throws everyone off.

Oh yeah, I think Olivetti's predators have improved a lot. It's also possible that the he purposefully drew the Superman/Batman/AvP predators to be "un-predator-like". They were supposed to be some long lost off-shoot of the predators stranded on Earth since prehistory. Pretty sure they had developed into a separate subspecies with a unique culture (wasn't a fan of this comic...just stating it as it is).

Olivetti has improved a lot but again, as I said if it's not one thing it's another. What I mean is that while he can now draw his Predators looking like Predators instead of Orcs, what are supposed to be normal Predators are drawn to look like Super Predators. It just threw me off to learn that the Predators in that panel are supposed to be the normal ones. To new fans and non-fans who aren't in the know, these would be Super Predators to them because of the designs.

As for the Orc Predators well... I didn't like them because of the fact that they were very Orc like. I understand that they were supposed to be some sort of off-shoot that developed from Earth, even Batman has stated that but I think that could have been handled differently. In fact, that entire comic could have been handled better.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Xenomrph on May 04, 2014, 06:42:14 AM
Quote from: RakaiThwei on May 03, 2014, 08:41:32 PM
Like if the Black Goo can or should somehow infect and mutate synthetics.. Considering they are not organic as far as I know.

You can't genetically mutate plastic and metal. If that's what's happening here, the attempts at realism will be laughable.

It's very nice art, but if that's the turn the story will take, any hopes at something based on 'Prometheus' avoiding style-over-substance, will have been thrown right out the window.

Ultramorph

Like I said, I have a feeling that Elden will be different from the synthetics we're used to seeing. Maybe something like a Replicant: an artificially created entity that is nonetheless created from human genes.

Bender1988

Bender1988

I am soo hyped about all of those new comics :D:D:D

Hehe good to have mocking the super predators idea by killing "beraserker double" with single shoot :D
When they become published ?

Quote from: RakaiThwei on May 04, 2014, 06:09:53 PM

As for the Orc Predators well... I didn't like them because of the fact that they were very Orc like. I understand that they were supposed to be some sort of off-shoot that developed from Earth, even Batman has stated that but I think that could have been handled differently. In fact, that entire comic could have been handled better.

Many predator/alien/alien vs predator comics from the past could have been made way better, but fans have no say in that matter :)
ehhh-i hope they learned from the mistakes of the past-and those new comics will be badass awesome.

I think they give the work to write the story/characters to people who have no idea about the theme-example:

There was no good predator comic book since 90's.

Ultramorph

Following up on my speculation that Olivetti took some cues from a semi-obscure Men in Black villain for the mutant Elden:

The white color, some tentacles, the armor-like protrusions, heavily-muscled, etc. Pretty cool!  :)

Topazora

Topazora

As weak as the MIB cartoon was story wise, you have to give it credit for the art and that some of the aliens did look pretty cool.  It felt like they were trying to go with the creepy/lovecraftean feel to the show, shame the writing didn't hold up.
The mutant Elden does look neat, but I hope that's merely the beginning point of the mutation and he turns into something creeper, maybe not so muscle bound, tbh. He looks like a character you would see in DC or Marvel comics, though I would expect him in a Predator comic, but not so much Alien.
Maybe the four armed predator was because he got mutated by the black goo?  I can see that happening.  The artwork is looking amazing. 

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Topazora on May 04, 2014, 11:05:04 PM
He looks like a character you would see in DC or Marvel comics, though I would expect him in a Predator comic, but not so much Alien.

I had that thought too.

Quote from: Topazora on May 04, 2014, 11:05:04 PM
Maybe the four armed predator was because he got mutated by the black goo?

As much as I really, really want to forget the four armed Predator.. I'm pretty sure he wasn't a product by the black liquid. If he was, I'm sure he wouldn't even be a Predator anymore or even remotely alive. I'd figure he was a result of genetic manipulation, assuming the genetic manipulation idea still holds some water.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed