The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon

Started by Perfect-Organism, Nov 18, 2014, 10:44:01 PM

Author
The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon (Read 238,973 times)

Samhain13

Nah everthing seems like a continuity mess at the moment... I will just stick to my personal canon.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Samhain13 on Aug 19, 2015, 03:30:39 PM
Nah everthing seems like a continuity mess at the moment... I will just stick to my personal canon.

Best thing to do really. I got my own personal canon too and am happy with it.

predxeno

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 19, 2015, 07:34:04 AM
I wouldn't say that. It just uses the blooding mark which originally came from the first comic.

Yeah, but the reason the blooding even made it into the Fire and Stone comic series is because the movies familiarized the audience with it.  There are so many other plot points from the Aliens and Predator comic series that never made it into F&S; the Aliens being worshipped as gods due to their psychic communications with humans and how drinking the Predators' blood drastically extends your lifespan by centuries. 

Considering that F&S is focused on Prometheus which in turn is focused on gods and the quest for immortality, these plot points would have made excellent storylines in F&S, however it's clear that the reason these comic book plots were not included while blooding was is because the movies never familiarized audiences with them while blooding is featured prominently in the 1st AVP film.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Aug 19, 2015, 04:58:02 PM

Same here.. I even plan on doing my own personal reboot Alien-Predator with it's own established timeline, where it's more or less something of an AU. Even contemplated on giving it the name of "Ultimate AVP", similarly to the now defunct Ultimate Marvel.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Aug 19, 2015, 05:27:38 PM
Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Aug 19, 2015, 04:58:02 PM

Same here.. I even plan on doing my own personal reboot Alien-Predator with it's own established timeline, where it's more or less something of an AU. Even contemplated on giving it the name of "Ultimate AVP", similarly to the now defunct Ultimate Marvel.

That's nice.  ;D

I love doing little head-timelines.

Quote from: predxeno on Aug 19, 2015, 05:18:05 PM

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 19, 2015, 07:34:04 AM
I wouldn't say that. It just uses the blooding mark which originally came from the first comic.

Yeah, but the reason the blooding even made it into the Fire and Stone comic series is because the movies familiarized the audience with it.  There are so many other plot points from the Aliens and Predator comic series that never made it into F&S; the Aliens being worshipped as gods due to their psychic communications with humans and how drinking the Predators' blood drastically extends your lifespan by centuries. 

Considering that F&S is focused on Prometheus which in turn is focused on gods and the quest for immortality, these plot points would have made excellent storylines in F&S, however it's clear that the reason these comic book plots were not included while blooding was is because the movies never familiarized audiences with them while blooding is featured prominently in the 1st AVP film.

The Predator blood extending someone's lifespan would've been an interesting plot point as you said. I think you've made a good point about the movie familiarizing the audiences with the blooding.

Also, didn't the "scar" resemble that of the AvP clan's mark? I haven't read the comics but I do think I saw Ahab's and Elden's marks from some pics somewhere on the internet.

predxeno

Yes, in some of the comics the scar was the same from the movies but in other comics it somehow changed.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: predxeno on Aug 19, 2015, 06:15:59 PM
Yes, in some of the comics the scar was the same from the movies but in other comics it somehow changed.

A wizard did it.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: predxeno on Aug 19, 2015, 05:18:05 PM

The blooding aspect is there because it a fundamental part of the Alien vs. Predator comics. It was there in the beginning and it will be there until the end. It's one of the core aspects of the license.

predxeno

Then the question remains why weren't any of the other "fundamental" parts of the Aliens and Predator comics included in F&S.  Contrary to popular belief, blooding isn't all that integral to the series at all; multiple video games don't even mention it and the majority of the AVP comics simply ignore it.

It's been awhile but wasn't there an interview done earlier where the writers said that F&S was supposed to be a reboot of some kind?  That's why they didn't mention any of the earlier comics EU.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: predxeno on Aug 19, 2015, 07:25:11 PM
It's been awhile but wasn't there an interview done earlier where the writers said that F&S was supposed to be a reboot of some kind?  That's why they didn't mention any of the earlier comics EU.

Scott Allie did say it was a hard reboot. Mike Richardson further corroborated this when he said that they were starting over.. But hell, people will more or less take what they will so... whatever, I guess.

Corporal Hicks

Then the question remains why weren't any of the other "fundamental" parts of the Aliens and Predator comics included in F&S.  Contrary to popular belief, blooding isn't all that integral to the series at all; multiple video games don't even mention it and the majority of the AVP comics simply ignore it.

The fundamental aspects of the other series are there. The other points you mentioned earlier aren't core things associated to the licenses.

I'm just saying that I don't think it is there as a tip of the hat to the films. Just to an element that is quite core to the idea of AvP.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 19, 2015, 08:07:24 PM

The fundamental aspects of the other series are there. The other points you mentioned earlier aren't core things associated to the licenses.

I'm just saying that I don't think it is there as a tip of the hat to the films. Just to an element that is quite core to the idea of AvP.

100% agree.  Blooding was a comic book thing ages before the films came out.  The films in their entirety were a tip of the hat to the comics.

predxeno

If you want to decorate it like that then yes you are right; the comics were the ones who created the concept of blooding and the first AVP film copied that idea so much I'm surprised Paul W. Anderson wasn't sued for copyright issues.  However, it can definitely be said that if the first AVP movie didn't include the concept of blooding at all then Fire and Stone wouldn't have featured it in its storyline either.  As Rakai-Thwei confirmed for us, the writers wanted Fire and Stone to be a reboot of sorts and that's why none of the previous comics were even referenced.  The AVP movies served as a bridge that connected the earlier comics to Fire and Stone, that's why it is an integral part of Fire and Stone's development.

SM

QuoteSo that seem more like specific elements of the publicity material is "canon" - just what's in the Timeline?

Depends if you want to go through the site line by line I suppose.  The bit with with the all the different planets that've been colonised with their distances from Earth it fraught with errors.  A lot of the other stuff - not so much.  I'd say weylandindustries.com is all canon except for the bits that aren't.

QuoteNah everthing seems like a continuity mess at the moment...

It's the most coherent it's been in a long time.

QuoteIf you want to decorate it like that then yes you are right; the comics were the ones who created the concept of blooding and the first AVP film copied that idea so much I'm surprised Paul W. Anderson wasn't sued for copyright issues. 

Who is going to sue whom?  Anderson said he used the comics as inspiration.  Fox owns the licensed IP for both film and comic.  Are they going to sue themselves?

QuoteHowever, it can definitely be said that if the first AVP movie didn't include the concept of blooding at all then Fire and Stone wouldn't have featured it in its storyline either.

A concept - derived from real life blooding rituals - first presented in the comics, is depicted again in the comics.  How is that "definitely" tied to the movie that copied the comic?

predxeno

Quote from: SM on Aug 19, 2015, 10:03:29 PM
QuoteIf you want to decorate it like that then yes you are right; the comics were the ones who created the concept of blooding and the first AVP film copied that idea so much I'm surprised Paul W. Anderson wasn't sued for copyright issues. 

Who is going to sue whom?  Anderson said he used the comics as inspiration.  Fox owns the licensed IP for both film and comic.  Are they going to sue themselves?

It was a joke, get a sense of humor.

Quote from: SM on Aug 19, 2015, 10:03:29 PM
QuoteHowever, it can definitely be said that if the first AVP movie didn't include the concept of blooding at all then Fire and Stone wouldn't have featured it in its storyline either.

A concept - derived from real life blooding rituals - first presented in the comics, is depicted again in the comics.  How is that "definitely" tied to the movie that copied the comic?

I already mentioned how in my last post.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed