ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages)

Started by Cvalda, Nov 23, 2013, 05:33:45 AM

Author
ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages) (Read 399,095 times)

SM

Not to my knowledge.

Xenomrph

Quote from: marrerom on Apr 26, 2016, 03:28:20 AM
Quote from: SM on Apr 26, 2016, 02:04:05 AM
That'd be the OWLF Files.

Are there any plans in motion for that? A "OWLF Files" book would be a great follow up/companion piece to what you've done with the Weyland-Yutani report.
I'd love to see a Predator companion book (shit, I'd love to contribute to it).

HuDaFuK

I'd love a similar Predator book, but I'm not really convinced there's enough lore in the films to make it much of anything. The movies are hardly expansive in their themes. Predators show up and kill some dudes. Sure, there's the OWLF, but they're only in one movie and you never really find out much about them.

Of course, you could go into the EU, but the W-Y Report didn't. It was basically just about the movies.

SM

OWLF is referenced in AvP:R, so if you include them you have five films to draw upon - same as WYR.

HuDaFuK

True enough. But then that Alien book didn't go into the AVPs, and I'm not sure I'd want a Predator one to do so either.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a comparable book for the Predator series, I'm just not convinced the world of the films is expansive enough to make it much of anything.

Xenomrph

Between Predator technology, biology, and culture (and maybe drawing on the EU a bit more heavily than the WY report did -- I wish the WY report drew on the EU more than it does, to be honest), I don't think it'd be difficult to write a comparable book.

marrerom

marrerom

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 26, 2016, 07:38:51 AM
I'd love a similar Predator book, but I'm not really convinced there's enough lore in the films to make it much of anything. The movies are hardly expansive in their themes.

Supposedly Shane Black's Predator film will be larger in scope and content then the previous ones.  Hopefully it will add a lot more to the mythology.

Quote from: SM on Apr 26, 2016, 08:34:37 AM
OWLF is referenced in AvP:R, so if you include them you have five films to draw upon - same as WYR.

How come AvP wasn't referenced in the WYR? The company has a pretty large presence in the film and the founder is a central character.  Its a big omission. I've heard it argued that Prometheus conflicts with AvP but really doesn't. It just doesn't directly reference it.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: marrerom on Apr 26, 2016, 03:17:26 PMHow come AvP wasn't referenced in the WYR? The company has a pretty large presence in the film and the founder is a central character.  Its a big omission.

Because AVP never happened according to the book.

Xenomrph

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 26, 2016, 03:30:45 PM
Quote from: marrerom on Apr 26, 2016, 03:17:26 PMHow come AvP wasn't referenced in the WYR? The company has a pretty large presence in the film and the founder is a central character.  Its a big omission.

An unfortunate oversight in my opinion, although one could argue that it was due to licensing issues (AvP is licensed separately from Alien or Predator) and wanting to keep the book Alien-centric and not have the potential distraction of a second extraterrestrial race getting mentioned.

HuDaFuK

Less an oversight, more a deliberate choice, I'd imagine.

marrerom

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 26, 2016, 04:04:06 PM

I wonder why though? They could have added the info about Weyland corps, Charles Weyland, "building a better future", etc. It would have added more to the book since it's supposed to be an in-universe report about the company's contact with the Alien.  Leave out all the stuff about predators though. That way its still an Alien centric book.

Xenomrph

Oh it was absolutely deliberate, but perhaps for the reason I mentioned.

Quote from: marrerom on Apr 26, 2016, 04:27:46 PM

I wonder why though? They could have added the info about Weyland corps, Charles Weyland, "building a better future", etc. It would have added more to the book since it's supposed to be an in-universe report about the company's contact with the Alien.  Leave out all the stuff about predators though. That way its still an Alien centric book.
Because Predators were kind of central to what happened in AvP, it's difficult to leave them out.

If they'd planned a Predator companion book from the start, then they could have offhandedly mentioned them but then said "for more information on Species 7958672848, see "Report XYZ"" or whatever.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 26, 2016, 03:30:45 PM

And yet, Fox still has AVP on their canon list according to Tristan.

predxeno

For what it's worth, Fire and Stone has references to the AVP movies with the blooding symbol on the Predators' heads.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: predxeno on Apr 26, 2016, 05:43:36 PM
For what it's worth, Fire and Stone has references to the AVP movies with the blooding symbol on the Predators' heads.

Yeah but that was changed in Omega. A wizard did it.

Not really, just inconsistent artists designs.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed