Anyone else think it's time for fox to stop with Predator and Alien?

Started by shakermakerman, Sep 16, 2018, 12:37:19 PM

Author
Anyone else think it's time for fox to stop with Predator and Alien? (Read 8,735 times)

whiterabbit

Yea the last time alien went full-third we got Alien3.

Well and technically A:C is the second 3rd times the charm.

The Old One

The Old One

Nah, Resurrection doesn't count- it's a standalone entry.
The prequel films are a series unto themselves.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: whiterabbit on Sep 18, 2018, 07:03:43 AM
Yea the last time alien went full-third we got Alien3.

Well and technically A:C is the second 3rd times the charm.

If we get another A3 type of movie I'll be more than happy considering that A3 is my second favorite out of all the franchises with ALIEN coming in first place of course. I doubt that will happen though concideribg the trajectory of PROM and A:C. also, the urge to reinvent the creatures and the concept of each franchise don't bode well. At this point I have nothing but the lowest of expectations.

I'd prefer them to make more AVP movies rather than continue butchering the original two franchises and movie series.

The Old One

The Old One

AVP would be a butchering if trajectory doesn't change first.

Wait until someone does an intelligently written adaptation of "At the Mountains of Madness" set in the Alien universe, then we'll be gold.

I don't know what you can do with Predator other than go back to basics and hope it works.

whiterabbit

I can't argue with that proposal but I still really want my Alien:Covenant 2.

Yea, go back to basics. I'd love to see a movie set in reference to Ponchos "Remember Afghanistan" comment from Predator. I really think there is a movie to be told there. Of course... considering the original cast is all old now... maybe it's not that great of an idea.

Russ

Maybe the future is in television. I think it's been discussed elsewhere, but I'd be in favour of watching something set in the same AvP universe that didn't focus on Aliens or Predators every week, but rather the audience would know they're out there. IDK, something like the X-Files but set in the future with all the megacorporations like Wey-Yu, Con-Am (from Outland) and Tyrell (is that Fox? I can't remember) and their murky dealings.... Marines vs Mercs, androids struggling with their identity - you could have it all really.

And of course, easter egg city... the discovery of a strange pyramid... or some cop investigating Wey-Yu and finding 100 year old voice prints of Ah-nuld and Danny describing the "creature" and how it was all covered up... Or more recently, how the accident on LV426 that killed all the colonists wasn't an accident and there had been a distress call that was "lost" and in fact a squad of Marines was sent to investigate and ... lost... - there's all sorts of shit you can throw in...

It seems that many people are espousing the episodic format of the EU (the comics and so on...)... Maybe the universe is so vast that it needs more room to breathe.

EJA

Yeah, I think both franchises could learn a lot from the EU.

The Old One

The Old One

I think Russ has a point.

locusta

Yeah, please stop ripping it to even more pieces as it already is. Stop, Stop, Stop!

EJA

EJA

I'd be cool with the Predator franchise dying, if the Alien franchise dies along with it. The prequels are taking that concept in directions just as bad.

Quote from: Naginata on Sep 17, 2018, 09:30:17 PM
The comments about autism in this thread annoy me almost as much as the way the movie used it.

Why is that? Not arguing, just curious.

The Old One

The Old One

No it isn't IMO.
Not even close.

Naginata

Quote from: EJA on Sep 19, 2018, 10:02:18 AM
Why is that? Not arguing, just curious.

In retrospect, it wasn't fair of me to single out this thread. I've just noticed a few people here and elsewhere make such a big deal out of autism specifically being the next stage in human evolution. I agree completely that it's a dumb, insensitive idea, (and not how evolution works, to boot,) but the "how could that ever be desirable or useful?!" attitude pisses me off. It's like the reverse of the movie's mistake; instead of being portrayed as magical super-beings, they're being portrayed as having some hideous affliction that's an evolutionary 'dead end...' Which is ignorant on number of levels, and is also not how evolution works!  >:(

I'm positive this is just me reading my own baggage into other peoples' statements, though; I don't think anybody meant it like that, and it can be really easy to misinterpret things when it's just text. So I'm not calling anyone out or anything, just being a grumpy bitch like usual, LOL.

Fleshwound

A few years back I read some research that indicated autism has been around since the beginning and was in fact very useful to humans when we were still figuring out what fire was. I'd have to dig up the paper but it isn't necessarily a defect or a detriment but it also means those with it don't fit too well with modern society either. But that is true of a lot of personality types today let alone those with a different way of thinking.

Mr.Turok

I haven't seen the movie yet, plan too this sunday as tickets are $5 special :laugh:, but am I the only one who shrugged and said "alien biology" in response to the whole autism thing? Can we really throw criticism on preds needing autism to evolve when they are aliens who technically spill green glowing blood?

Naginata

^ I see what you're saying, but body fluid that's green and phosphorescent is a hell of a lot more plausible than an extraterrestrial 'needing' to somehow suck a human-specific neurological condition out of some kid's spine to... like... I dunno... stuff the autism into his brain? To get... smarter?

Iffy implications aside, it doesn't even make sense from a science fiction angle. I know Predator has always, to put it mildly, played fast and loose with science, but this is many orders of magnitude more ridiculous. I had AVPR flashbacks.

To quote Mark Kermode's review of that film: "This is a film made by people who seem to think that the throat is somehow connected to the womb. Now - I'm sorry - did you not do Anatomy 101?"

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed