Predator won.

Started by karbomike, Nov 01, 2021, 03:02:12 PM

Author
Predator won. (Read 19,442 times)

Master Chief

Master Chief

Quote from: The Cruentus on Dec 27, 2021, 12:53:38 PM
Yep, predator did win. Celtic kicked Grid's ass and basically won the the actual fight and had it dead to rights. Unfortunately Celltic being slow and taking his time is what allowed Grid to kill him, otherwise he would have been able to finish him.

For this scenerio I don't include the sneak attacks, plasma kills or help from a human either, only a simple 1v1 predator v Alien melee fight.

Celtic was winning, but failed to achieve something far more important than throwing Grid around a bit and that was preserving his own life.  He lost.

Scar was the successful one and won most of the battles, but ultimately, lost the war.

The facehugger that implanted its embryo in Scar is the real MVP. 

When the snow settled after the first movie, I had it Aliens and Alexa tied for first and the Predators with the loss.

Kradan

Kradan

"Whoever wins, we lose"

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kradan on Dec 27, 2021, 05:25:51 PM
"Whoever wins, we lose"

Ahem...

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Nov 03, 2021, 01:59:42 PM
Love won. ❤

Wait, that's not it.

Ahem...

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Nov 01, 2021, 04:53:14 PM
But always remember, whoever wins...we lose

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: Master Chief on Dec 27, 2021, 05:17:18 PM
Quote from: The Cruentus on Dec 27, 2021, 12:53:38 PM
Yep, predator did win. Celtic kicked Grid's ass and basically won the the actual fight and had it dead to rights. Unfortunately Celltic being slow and taking his time is what allowed Grid to kill him, otherwise he would have been able to finish him.

For this scenerio I don't include the sneak attacks, plasma kills or help from a human either, only a simple 1v1 predator v Alien melee fight.

Celtic was winning, but failed to achieve something far more important than throwing Grid around a bit and that was preserving his own life.  He lost.

Scar was the successful one and won most of the battles, but ultimately, lost the war.

The facehugger that implanted its embryo in Scar is the real MVP. 

When the snow settled after the first movie, I had it Aliens and Alexa tied for first and the Predators with the loss.

I would say Celtic won the battle but lost the war so to speak. He beat Grid in a fight but was too cocky to actually finish it properly.

SiL

SiL

Then he lost, period.

In a battle of life and death it doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Killing isn't the same as winning, dying isn't the same as losing. I could kick the crap out of someone and having them beaten to the ground, I could then get stabbed when I turned my back, I still won the actual fight. even if I died, he still lost the fight even if he killed me. Conversely judges and refs can name a victor even if the two fighters are still able to continue fighting. It isn't as simple as living and dying, black or white.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I agree with SiL.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: The Cruentus on Dec 27, 2021, 09:12:27 PM
Killing isn't the same as winning, dying isn't the same as losing.
When it's a fight to the death it is literally the victory condition to be the one left alive.

This wasn't a fencing or boxing match where you're scoring points for strikes. Celtic wasn't killed by a third party. The two of them were in a fight to the death and one of them died. That person was the loser. That person was Celtic.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Yeah and then the Alien gets on board the spaceship from the derelict temple... and we know where that goes.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

I was talking about the actual fight itself, not the final result of the encounter between them.  Different strokes for different folks I guess, I was coming at this as a fighter.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

As a fighter myself, I'd say Celtic dominated the fight, but lost it indeed. So many times I saw fighters dominate an opponent, only to get knocked out because they were being cocky or reckless.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: The Cruentus on Dec 27, 2021, 11:12:09 PM
I was talking about the actual fight itself, not the final result of the encounter between them.  Different strokes for different folks I guess, I was coming at this as a fighter.
The end was part of "the actual fight itself"? It wasn't over until one was dead. Again, this isn't a sports match. There are no points for strikes or grapples or throws. There was no referee saying when the fight was over.

And even if it were a sports match, if someone's TKO'd you typically don't declare them the winner because they were dominating beforehand.

Kradan

Kradan

It's not like Grid cheated or something. It used it natural strength and acidic blood to get free from the nets. Celtic died not because he was backstabbed (Chopper was but that's a whole different story) but because he was arrogant sonuvabitch who decided to show off taking his time to deliver the final blow

SiL

SiL

Exactly. Celtic could have won the fight, totally. He had Grid tied down and defenseless. But a decision he made during the fight cost him his life, and in a fight to the death, it doesn't matter how well you did; what matters is whether you come out alive or not.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Dec 27, 2021, 11:35:53 PM
As a fighter myself, I'd say Celtic dominated the fight, but lost it indeed. So many times I saw fighters dominate an opponent, only to get knocked out because they were being cocky or reckless.

Agreed, once Grid got netted Celtic technically won the battle, but due to his sheer stupidity, he cost himself the war so to speak. "Winning a battle but losing the war is a military mental model that refers to achieving a minor victory that ultimately results in a larger defeat, rendering the victory empty or hollow. It can also refer to gaining a small tactical advantage that corresponds to a wider disadvantage." https://fs.blog/winning-battle-losing-war/
"win the battle, but lose the war
To achieve a minor success or victory, but lose or fail to achieve a larger, more important, or overarching goal, especially when that larger failure is at least partly due to the smaller victory. The phrase is often split into two halves across different parts of a sentence to achieve its meaning.
"

The minor victory here is Celtic dominating and beating Grid. The larger defeat is that by beating Grid, Celtic become suicidally overconfident resulting in his death and his victory being hollow.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed