Alien & Predator Legacy

Started by Immortan Jonesy, Nov 26, 2020, 03:46:58 PM

Author
Alien & Predator Legacy (Read 5,671 times)

Drukathi

Drukathi

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Nov 26, 2020, 03:46:58 PM

Fantasy in Giger's aesthetics. What could be better?

Shugsi

Shugsi

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Nov 27, 2020, 01:54:32 AM
Quote from: S1L on Nov 26, 2020, 06:05:04 PM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Nov 26, 2020, 05:26:52 PM
Quote from: S1L on Nov 26, 2020, 04:28:06 PM

The Tyranids from warhammer 40k are quite Xeno-like indeed. Next leap from Cameron's swarm to the civilization of a visceral race of deadly creatures. So I guess I got this right, when is come to influences:

Cameron's Aliens ➡ Tyranids ➡ Zerg

Anyway, I am sure that creature design is more complex than that  :laugh:
Yes and the whole space marine thing. Same year Aliens was released in the UK. I think it was 86 in the states wasn't it?

"Space Marines were first introduced in Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader (1987) by Rick Priestley, which was the first edition of the tabletop game. "

Word is, Space Hulk was originally an Aliens game, but they couldn't get the rights (or it fell through, I forget), hence the flamethrower mechanics, "blip tokens", the Genestealers being redesigned to have a much more "Alien" aesthetic, and Space Marine Terminators being made of wet cardboard in melee despite being premier assault troops in the standard wargame. This also fed back into the core 40k game and is the origin of Genestealers having obscenely high melee skill.

Tyranid art from various eras of the game:

https://1d4chan.org/images/thumb/5/55/Nids3rdEdCover.jpg/400px-Nids3rdEdCover.jpg

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-z3eq9CmcmdE/UuX7m3-yOnI/AAAAAAAAAM8/2kHizIIGFQs/s1600/oldoneye.jpg

Wow thanks for the info. That is interesting about Space Hulk. Clearly see the influence.

I was given a lead figure queen for some old tabletop Aliens game like the Warhammer stuff. I don't know much about it. I think she's at my parents house. I kept it as I was given it. In it's box, in bits and unpainted.

I guess the Marine aspect with Starship troopers.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: S1L on Nov 27, 2020, 01:22:00 PM

Wow thanks for the info. That is interesting about Space Hulk. Clearly see the influence.

I was given a lead figure queen for some old tabletop Aliens game like the Warhammer stuff. I don't know much about it. I think she's at my parents house. I kept it as I was given it. In it's box, in bits and unpainted.

I may or may not know an awful lot about 40k so feel free to join us in the 40k thread if you want any other deep lore.

Your model is almost certainly the Leading Edge one from the RPG, and might be worth a good bit now if it's in parts and has the box.

Shugsi

Shugsi

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Nov 27, 2020, 01:26:48 PM

I may or may not know an awful lot about 40k so feel free to join us in the 40k thread if you want any other deep lore.

Your model is almost certainly the Leading Edge one from the RPG, and might be worth a good bit now if it's in parts and has the box.
I always wanted to play 40k but had no one to play it with. I do like the whole idea of it though.

Really? It's not been painted and in the box with the foam.

SM

SM

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Nov 27, 2020, 03:41:25 AM
Quote from: SM on Nov 27, 2020, 02:08:13 AM

Didn't even think of that one! Really fun arc, I should revisit it.

I don't remember if it's in the show, but when you play the level in Lego Star Wars 3, you can build a power loader.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: S1L on Nov 27, 2020, 07:33:26 PM

I always wanted to play 40k but had no one to play it with. I do like the whole idea of it though.

I think they sell for about $100 these days, but I've seen them go for three times that when the right buyers get into a bidding war.

As for 40k, it's fairly easy (and infinitely cheaper) to make a solo play set for.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Thanks for the enlightening! :o [cancerblack] ^

Shugsi

Shugsi

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Nov 27, 2020, 09:14:43 PM
Quote from: S1L on Nov 27, 2020, 07:33:26 PM

I think they sell for about $100 these days, but I've seen them go for three times that when the right buyers get into a bidding war.

As for 40k, it's fairly easy (and infinitely cheaper) to make a solo play set for.
Thank you for the info  8)

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: IMDbIn a flooded future London, Detective Harley Stone hunts a serial killer who murdered his partner, and has haunted him ever since. He soon discovers what he is hunting might not be human.

Split Second (1992)

Quote from: MASS EFFECT WIKIRachni Queens are the matriarchs of the hive-minded, insectoid rachni species. The largest of their species at about fifty feet long, queens are powerful and intelligent creatures who guide the soldiers and workers of their broods with a form of telepathic song, which also allows them to speak through "receptive" beings of other species. Queens also carry the genetic memory of their mothers, causing them to effectively be born with the collective knowledge of the previous hive.

Rachni Queen

Shugsi

Shugsi

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Nov 28, 2020, 07:44:12 PM
https://i.ibb.co/M8cD5sQ/8c02c7361448787ae06ef153684de7f6.gif

Quote from: IMDbIn a flooded future London, Detective Harley Stone hunts a serial killer who murdered his partner, and has haunted him ever since. He soon discovers what he is hunting might not be human.

Split Second (1992)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAKcHUf3lkg

Quote from: MASS EFFECT WIKIRachni Queens are the matriarchs of the hive-minded, insectoid rachni species. The largest of their species at about fifty feet long, queens are powerful and intelligent creatures who guide the soldiers and workers of their broods with a form of telepathic song, which also allows them to speak through "receptive" beings of other species. Queens also carry the genetic memory of their mothers, causing them to effectively be born with the collective knowledge of the previous hive.

Rachni Queen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-37BT2v24I

I have an interesting story about this. I saw this once when I was probably too young to see it but couldn't remember it's name. Years later Rutger Hauer's daughter liked my artwork and we got chatting. I had to ask her what it was called.  :D

Also looks like Venom.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: S1L on Nov 28, 2020, 08:50:24 PM
Also looks like Venom.

That was my first thought too.

Shugsi

Gr33n M4n

Gr33n M4n

Dog Soldiers was a good movie. I remember hearing that there was a planned sequel about that one dude that survives and goes on to work for the CIA in hunting the werewolves.

Shugsi

Shugsi

Quote from: Phobos on Nov 28, 2020, 09:14:10 PM
Dog Soldiers was a good movie. I remember hearing that there was a planned sequel about that one dude that survives and goes on to work for the CIA in hunting the werewolves.
Yes and another was an American team I think. Never took off though.

Kradan

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed