Reproduction Method Official

Started by SuicideDoors, Oct 26, 2007, 08:01:45 AM

Do you like the new addition to the lifecycle?

Love it!
80 (21.6%)
Pretty Cool
135 (36.5%)
I expected more
31 (8.4%)
Hate it
40 (10.8%)
To hell with the makers of AvP: R
30 (8.1%)
Like some aspects of it, but think it contradicts too much.
54 (14.6%)

Total Members Voted: 324

Author
Reproduction Method Official (Read 198,392 times)

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Mikol on Oct 28, 2007, 11:32:18 AM
A few minutes on flash and BAM! Glad you like it.

A student from the ADI school of design, I see. ;)

Quote from: Kimarhi on Oct 28, 2007, 06:05:51 PM
Its obviously a reference to the original movie.  But it feels as though its added just for the sake of being hardcore.

And awseome. Don't forget the awesomeness. :)

Quote from: Major Alan Schaefer on Oct 28, 2007, 06:27:19 PM
One, i said it before and i'll say it again....if a Queen had this not like a scientist would go walze in on the Queen and let her puke in his mouth...it did take a while for her to start egg laying maybe its because she was in this stage...

As others have pointed out, they were monitoring the thing sufficiently well to be able to predict stuff. Plus, we know they were somehow able to study the other Aliens' biology in plenty of depth.

If absolutely nothing else, we could say they had no idea how to kick-start the process and should have put Ripley 7 in there, just as an experiment, even if they did not have the sense to get some laboratory animals in advance.

Regardless, this isn't a Queen from the very start. That means Queens might well have no such early ability.

QuoteThird thing is if anything this makes Aliens more adaptable more alien and more frightning and more of the perfect organism people claim it is

I agree. I'd loved to have had this for an 'aliens' sequel, but we're more than a decade too late for that.

Quote from: TheAncientEnemy on Oct 28, 2007, 07:49:12 PM
You can't honestly try to tell me that Ash was all about "just the facts" when he said that the alien can't be killed unless you stopped watching and that point and believe to this day that the alien is invincible.

Ash never says it can't be killed.

It is perhaps a testament to the power of the monologue, that you thought the character did. :)

QuoteHe was an extention of the company, yes. AS A RESULT OF THIS he had motives that the crew did not know about. They were therefore secret.

Why would a machine have secret motives? It had only orders and priorities. It was commanded to keep things secret, so it did. It had no personal stake in the result, otehr than to avoid 'fail' conditions.

QuoteIf the alien were a PERFECT organism then it wouldn't have failed.

Being a perfect and adaptable living organism does not include the requirement to be immortal. :)

All that meant was that it was engineered superbly well, from a biological/scientific perspective.

Quote from: Luckygreycat on Oct 28, 2007, 08:21:31 PM
One point to consider is that the aliens aren't always only dealing with squishy humans.  As they are scattered throughout the universe a likely come into contact with creatures much more savage.  Considering this it doesn't seem unreasonable that the species would have this built-in safety mechanism whether or not it is necessary for each situation.  I do understand your survival of the fittest idea and how in nature sometimes things just don't work out.  For example of the queen was left by herself and was killed before she could get her brood going that would be a consequence of their nature.  For example the alien in the first movie was completely detached.  It had no hope of being reunited with others of its kind.  It was doomed to die alone.  This is perfectly acceptable without trying to come up with a molting scenario.  Sometimes the circumstances just have to be right for things to work out.  Despite this it doesn't seem to unreasonable to me that it would be instinctual for a queen to prepare a line of self-defense considering the intensity of some of the creatures it would encounter throughout the universe

I don't have any problem with the Aliens being able to reproduce. I've often said they need to have something like that shown, once and for all. In 'Alien Resurrection', there was the fear they might get to Earth, but also the lingering thought of, "Then what?"

But that's precisely what egg transformation is meant for. If they wanted the oral method, then they should have had that for creating regular adults and kept the egging to make Queens. It would even have fitted with the 'more effort required to create Queens' thing.

Major Alan Schaefer

Xeno...had some good agruements but not likeing it because it came to late...not really a good reason in this case...this makes the question arise if this was seen as what happened to Lameburt how many voices would be against it?

Anomaly

Anomaly

Quote from: YutaniDitch on Oct 28, 2007, 07:07:16 PM
Things need to have a credibility, even in Sci-fi genre, because otherwise people will be less inclined to believe that thing could actually exist out there or whatever is going on onscreen...

NO creature has 3 reproductory cycles, or better yet, three distinct way of reproducing... especially two of them so anatomically unviable...

Bees don't change reproductory cycles unless there is a very good, natural reason...

To clarify what youre saying because I 100% agree here, I just want to go over what I feel are the basics of the "believable" style, as Bryan Singer likes to call it. Not REALISTIC, but believable. It goes kinda like this...

Directors and fans that cater to the believable style see movies as the art of illusion. Just like David Blaine or Chris Angel, they work hard to conceal the faults in their story and preserve the illusion in mind bending sneaky ways. Its all about tricking the audience into believing something thats not really there.

Say you have a concept, a fictional concept you want to get people to admire for its eerie forebodingness and human story along with it. The first thing to do is make sure the concept is simple according to an average person. How? Get rid of the elaborate technical geek talk and try to make it sensible on almost face value. This includes thinking the concept through, and making a midpoint between super real, and plausible to regular people. Sometimes realistic explanations sound like pure BS in a hollywood film, so its a balance. The goal is to make a what if scenario if certain scientific discoveries took turns people didnt see coming. You make sure your story doesnt have too many jagged edges blatantly on display, such as Terminator 3's confusing timeline, or using 10 different ways for a creature to make offspring. It needs SMOOTHNESS. You RESPECT the order of things so you dont make it a caricature, because people will begin to see the illusion as a farce. Its a delicate balancing act that recquires much instinct. There are those that have instinct for other things, camp style, or torture/slasher movie style, this is not the same. Priorities are different with them.

Now, brainiacs Ive noticed often cant watch films with this appeoach. Theres 1 word they call it: pretentious. And theres a reason for that. None of it is important, its just care for the art of fiction as film that relates to human emotions. Folks who are primarily trained in head knowledge or concrete reality as opposed to art/instinct are less likely to see the delicate balance that has been created with these films. I've seen them completely dismiss this style as a falsehood. A lot of times extreme head knowledge of a certain subject will completely mess with your head. I recall someone complaining about cryo tubes being non factual... well duh.

Many of these types like the camp style better, because then they can be glad that these creators are deeming all of fiction as inherently ridiculous and just superfluous fun.

The camp style is where the goal is simply to have fun at the cost of coherence to a higher degree. Its usually self effacing and funny. I dont mind this, as long as the two styles stay within their boundaries and finish the franchise how it began.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Major Alan Schaefer on Oct 28, 2007, 08:35:27 PM
Xeno...had some good agruements but not likeing it because it came to late...not really a good reason in this case...this makes the question arise if this was seen as what happened to Lameburt how many voices would be against it?

I say "too late" because it would have fit with being immediately after 'Aliens'. Contradicting what we know from the two sequels after that is what makes it too late.

Major Alan Schaefer

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Oct 28, 2007, 08:38:07 PM
Quote from: Major Alan Schaefer on Oct 28, 2007, 08:35:27 PM

I say "too late" because it would have fit with being immediately after 'Aliens'. Contradicting what we know from the two sequels after that is what makes it too late.
i understand what your saying but Alien three couldn't have it due to the Queen in Ripley and AR had a locked up Queen so...it doesn't support or stop the idea

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Major Alan Schaefer on Oct 28, 2007, 08:40:12 PM
i understand what your saying but Alien three couldn't have it due to the Queen in Ripley and AR had a locked up Queen so...it doesn't support or stop the idea

But conversely, if the Fury Alien was able to moult, why did the natural Queen even exist, in the first place? That's not logical.

When back-up methods become easier and more efficient than the primary, they replace it, not add to it. That's how nature is.

I remember those days and hoping that we would be seeing the Alien transform into a Queen. Ultimately, we didn't and that should have set the precedent. I lamented it, but accepted it as the new standard.

Yay! 100 pages! Woo! :D

Major Alan Schaefer

Well, who knows why it was needed, it might be faster way to get a Queen, and a safer way

Luckygreycat

Luckygreycat

Quote from: Anomaly on Oct 28, 2007, 08:36:25 PM
Quote from: YutaniDitch on Oct 28, 2007, 07:07:16 PM
Things need to have a credibility, even in Sci-fi genre, because otherwise people will be less inclined to believe that thing could actually exist out there or whatever is going on onscreen...

NO creature has 3 reproductory cycles, or better yet, three distinct way of reproducing... especially two of them so anatomically unviable...

Bees don't change reproductory cycles unless there is a very good, natural reason...

To clarify what youre saying because I 100% agree here, I just want to go over what I feel are the basics of the "believable" style, as Bryan Singer likes to call it. Not REALISTIC, but believable. It goes kinda like this...

Directors and fans that cater to the believable style see movies as the art of illusion. Just like David Blaine or Chris Angel, they work hard to conceal the faults in their story and preserve the illusion in mind bending sneaky ways. Its all about tricking the audience into believing something thats not really there.

Say you have a concept, a fictional concept you want to get people to admire for its eerie forebodingness and human story along with it. The first thing to do is make sure the concept is simple according to an average person. How? Get rid of the elaborate technical geek talk and try to make it sensible on almost face value. This includes thinking the concept through, and making a midpoint between super real, and plausible to regular people. Sometimes realistic explanations sound like pure BS in a hollywood film, so its a balance. The goal is to make a what if scenario if certain scientific discoveries took turns people didnt see coming. You make sure your story doesnt have too many jagged edges blatantly on display, such as Terminator 3's confusing timeline, or using 10 different ways for a creature to make offspring. It needs SMOOTHNESS. You RESPECT the order of things so you dont make it a caricature, because people will begin to see the illusion as a farce. Its a delicate balancing act that recquires much instinct. There are those that have instinct for other things, camp style, or torture/slasher movie style, this is not the same. Priorities are different with them.

Now, brainiacs Ive noticed often cant watch films with this appeoach. Theres 1 word they call it: pretentious. And theres a reason for that. None of it is important, its just care for the art of fiction as film that relates to human emotions. Folks who are primarily trained in head knowledge or concrete reality as opposed to art/instinct are less likely to see the delicate balance that has been created with these films. I've seen them completely dismiss this style as a falsehood. A lot of times extreme head knowledge of a certain subject will completely mess with your head. I recall someone complaining about cryo tubes being non factual... well duh.

Many of these types like the camp style better, because then they can be glad that these creators are deeming all of fiction as inherently ridiculous and just superfluous fun.

The camp style is where the goal is simply to have fun at the cost of coherence to a higher degree. Its usually self effacing and funny. I dont mind this, as long as the two styles stay within their boundaries and finish the franchise how it began.

Ahh, intelligence.  Its so refreshing.  I too like this site.  There are a lot of intelligent people with a passion for the franchise.  The camp style works if it fits your expectations.  You see the movie and you appreciate it for what it is.  One of my worst nightmares came true when I saw alien Resurrection in the theater for the first time and it was loaded with camp.  Let me digress for a moment and say WTF!!  Camp has NO PLACE in this franchise whatsoever on any level.  What a waste.

You are correct in saying that there has to be a balance.  People who are bound solely by logic oftentimes can't interpret art so everything seems fake to them.  They can't entertain even the idea of cryosleep because it defies logic.  When you have critical thinking tempered with art/intuition you are able to see what is believable, not necessarily realistic.  To say that the alien has yet another part to its lifecycle doesn't necessarily seem realistic.  But when I look at that painting from Giger I think the vomiting thing enters the realm of believability.

wmmvrrvrrmm

wmmvrrvrrmm

Quote from: Luckygreycat on Oct 28, 2007, 07:51:14 PM
Perhaps Colin will end up being right.  The creature on the right looks like the alien just puked that maggot looking thing into its mouth.  I keep going back and forth on this one.  Maybe it was always meant to be.

well, that looked to me like a swollen tongue being pierced by the tips of the horn like structures that are coming up through the victim's throat.

But I would have been happy about the Predalien inserting an ovipositor of some sort into any orifice that the host has in the manner the facehugger does, even if it's for a shorter time.

If we're going to see the predalien barf sludge into the victim's mouth, I might wait till it comes out in on DVD and I find it in the bargain bucket, or if it's going to be passing an immature chestburster orally, that might be okay by my understanding, but I'd prefer to see an ovipositor pop out of it's body somewhere.

Ballzanya

Ballzanya

Quote from: Mikol on Oct 28, 2007, 10:28:02 AM
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c300/AvP_Mich/predalien.jpg

;)

that really shows how dumb this idea will be. Im sure it won't be orange and just splatter on the person's face, but rather will be either translucent goo dripped in their mouth or squirted from the inner jaw( yeah, that's not too phallic and disgusting or anything. lol) but still its bad enough of an idea to still not make any sort of sense.

That Yellow Alien

Remember, when it says "regurgitation", it probably isn't going to literally be vomit or juices. It will most likely be an Alien fetus or something like that.

Major Alan Schaefer

Quote from: Yellow Alien on Oct 28, 2007, 09:13:29 PM
Remember, when it says "regurgitation", it probably isn't going to literally be vomit or juices. It will most likely be an Alien fetus or something like that.
The Idea can work...and could be one of the best visualy in the movie

Wolf Sazen

Wolf Sazen

Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Oct 26, 2007, 08:18:41 AM
Let's put it this way...if this movie tries to indicate that egg-morphing was always done via regurgitation, I'll be more pissed, not less.

Egg morphing I can take or leave.
Some kind of ass-to-mouthery for new straight up new Aliens?  No thanks.
How was egg morphing actually done by the drone then?

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Its never been done.  If it had the queen would have never made an appearance.

Fitzley

Fitzley

Haven't seen the director's cut of Alien then? The method isn't shown...but Brett and Dallas were being morphed.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed