Reproduction Method Official

Started by SuicideDoors, Oct 26, 2007, 08:01:45 AM

Do you like the new addition to the lifecycle?

Love it!
80 (21.6%)
Pretty Cool
135 (36.5%)
I expected more
31 (8.4%)
Hate it
40 (10.8%)
To hell with the makers of AvP: R
30 (8.1%)
Like some aspects of it, but think it contradicts too much.
54 (14.6%)

Total Members Voted: 324

Author
Reproduction Method Official (Read 198,200 times)

Noir-Gojira

Noir-Gojira

Quoteyeah so many large cauterized shoulder cannon wounds revealing a huge hole in someone's chest could be confused with just a regular human psycho. Roll Eyes
Or the skinned bodies strung up so high in the trees that a person would not be strong or agile enough to do so
And you can bet someone will say, "Damn, this is why I left LA!"

gameoverman

gameoverman

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Oct 28, 2007, 05:57:18 AM
Quote from: gameoverman on Oct 28, 2007, 05:44:53 AM
So why can't the 'barfing' just be an emergency method too?

Because there's nothing which prevented the Nostromo or Fury Aliens from doing it, yet they didn't. With the new ability, by rights, both should have been doing precisely that.

It does contradict Alien, but then if egg morphing is used, Aliens contradicts Alien as well.

The fury alien could've sensed the queen.

QuoteThe combination of oral fux0ring and 'Queen-ing' now also renders egg transformation and natural Queens obselete. If this had been retained as purely a way to create ordinary Aliens and a single example of egging shown to obtain a Queen, as opposed to the Predalien getting bulkier and moulting, not only would we have had the best of both worlds, but we'd be praising the directors for keeping within the limits of established canon - just like they kept on promising to.

It doesn't make natural queens obsolete.  Like I said before, maybe only the most dominant alien gets to reproduce via the 'barfing', but only when there is no queen present.

QuoteQueens make more mathematical sense, host-wise, once one exists.

How?  If any alien can morph someone into an egg, and morph former-hosts of aliens - you have the same amount of hosts matched up with facehuggers that a Queen could produce. So why bother with all the trouble of having a Queen?

Who says expended, rotting cadavers would be of further use? As I pointed out earlier, this could be a primary reason why both Dallas and Brett were egged: Brett as an unknowing, failed experiment, Dallas as the real deal.

Seems to me that the creatures require a living host for the majority of whatever they need to do. Facehuggers would just kill you by suffocation, otherwise.

If the alien can only morph living people, it takes them a lot longer to build a hive.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Oct 28, 2007, 06:04:02 AM
Xeno's point is a good one...maybe the Brett-egg was a failed attempt, and Dallas was a more successful version.  Or if that's no good, Dallas could well be the intended victim for the Brett-egg's facehugger.  Sure, he looked like he was 'egg-ifying' but he was noticeably unaltered in the head 'n shoulders area.  It could have been a form of restraint not unlike the resin used in A2's hive.

This has been a long and raging debate possibility. :)

The fact that he was in pain and suicidal, even if we don't take into account the production team information, seems to indicate more than just confinement was an issue. Newt seemed to suffer no ill effects from being cocooned. Come to that, neither did what we saw of Ripley 8, for the same reason.

There is a theory that he might have been in storage and about to be used as food, but you'd still expect the guy to want to get out, if that was the case.

Alienseseses

Alienseseses

I just realized.
People often point to A:R, saying "Oh, why didn't the queen vomit?"

Thing is, just because it doesn't vomit doesn't mean it can't end up laying eggs. It means no army until eggsack arrives.

The vomit thing is an aside. Just for bodyguards.

And we don't see time pass in A:R. It could have been months.

gameoverman

gameoverman

Quote from: gameoverman on Oct 28, 2007, 05:55:27 AM
Two points -
*Why was the alien egg morphing Dallas then?  Dallas could be used as a host.
*As SiL pointed out, that can morph dead people, so they could morph former hosts.  Therefore you get one egg per host until the hosts run out (minus one - the first person egg morphed).  

Xeno's point is a good one...maybe the Brett-egg was a failed attempt, and Dallas was a more successful version.  Or if that's no good, Dallas could well be the intended victim for the Brett-egg's facehugger.  Sure, he looked like he was 'egg-ifying' but he was noticeably unaltered in the head 'n shoulders area.  It could have been a form of restraint not unlike the resin used in A2's hive.

Alien fans need to make up their minds, lol.  :P  Can an alien morph dead hosts or not?

If it can, then the Queen is made useless.

If it can't, it slows down the time to build a hive, making the aliens more vulnerable.

Ballzanya

Ballzanya

Quote from: gameoverman on Oct 28, 2007, 06:00:15 AM
Quote from: ballzanya on Oct 28, 2007, 05:56:42 AM
Quote from: gameoverman on Oct 28, 2007, 05:52:48 AM
Quote from: SiL on Oct 28, 2007, 05:46:28 AM
Queen can poop out dozens of eggs in minutes.

A drone, a handful of eggs over several hours.

In the end there are going to be excess eggs from Queen to have in storage.

It doesn't matter how many eggs the Queen produces - it can only make enough aliens according the number of hosts it has.

Aliens capture people and cocoon them anyway - so they could egg morph them instead, wouldn't be much different.

the eggs can wait around for an indefinite amount of time for hosts however. So making a shitload is beneficial to the species. Just look at what happened in the first film. Who knows how much time passed before the nostromo crew found the derelict spacecraft.

We don't know how long eggs live for.

And it's possible that the eggs Kane found were in a stasis field.
no, that blue mist was just either a way of keeping phermones from reaching them and causing them to open or to serve as an alarm as it reacted while broken. The space jockeys would have sensed in the ship that they were opening up.

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Oct 28, 2007, 06:07:19 AM
The fact that he was in pain and suicidal, even if we don't take into account the production team information, seems to indicate more than just confinement was an issue.
True 'nuff.  

Maybe he was just wrecked from all the savage raping the Alien did to him since the airshaft abduction? ;)

Gates

Gates

Quote from: Alienseseses on Oct 28, 2007, 06:07:30 AM
[...] Just for bodyguards.

Bodyguards!? How did they end up in the mix here...?

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: gameoverman on Oct 28, 2007, 06:10:09 AM
Alien fans need to make up their minds, lol.  :P  Can an alien morph dead hosts or not?
There will never be a consensus unless a film says it definitively.

QuoteIf it can, then the Queen is made useless.
Not useless.  Less essential, maybe...but not useless.

QuoteIf it can't, it slows down the time to build a hive, making the aliens more vulnerable.
Personally, I'd not call the Aliens vulnerable just because they don't have a house.

Ballzanya

Ballzanya

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Oct 28, 2007, 06:07:19 AM

This has been a long and raging debate possibility. :)

The fact that he was in pain and suicidal, even if we don't take into account the production team information, seems to indicate more than just confinement was an issue. Newt seemed to suffer no ill effects from being cocooned. Come to that, neither did what we saw of Ripley 8, for the same reason.

There is a theory that he might have been in storage and about to be used as food, but you'd still expect the guy to want to get out, if that was the case.

well he was cocooned for hours unable to move, the smell of the resin and brett essentially rotting next to him must have been naseating. Also he probably thought he would end up like brett. It is pretty clear however that he was the intended host for the facehugger. That's why he was snatched with no blood, no wounds. He was meant to be a live host. Brett only needed to have minimal life signs to be egg morphed and he was the victim of a headbite.

Noir-Gojira

Noir-Gojira

QuoteAlien fans need to make up their minds, lol.  Tongue  Can an alien morph dead hosts or not?

If it can, then the Queen is made useless.

Might have something to do with the quality of the finished product.

gameoverman

gameoverman

Quote from: ballzanya on Oct 28, 2007, 06:10:17 AM
Quote from: gameoverman on Oct 28, 2007, 06:00:15 AM
Quote from: ballzanya on Oct 28, 2007, 05:56:42 AM
Quote from: gameoverman on Oct 28, 2007, 05:52:48 AM
Quote from: SiL on Oct 28, 2007, 05:46:28 AM
Queen can poop out dozens of eggs in minutes.

A drone, a handful of eggs over several hours.

In the end there are going to be excess eggs from Queen to have in storage.

It doesn't matter how many eggs the Queen produces - it can only make enough aliens according the number of hosts it has.

Aliens capture people and cocoon them anyway - so they could egg morph them instead, wouldn't be much different.

the eggs can wait around for an indefinite amount of time for hosts however. So making a shitload is beneficial to the species. Just look at what happened in the first film. Who knows how much time passed before the nostromo crew found the derelict spacecraft.

We don't know how long eggs live for.

And it's possible that the eggs Kane found were in a stasis field.
no, that blue mist was just either a way of keeping phermones from reaching them and causing them to open or to serve as an alarm as it reacted while broken. The space jockeys would have sensed in the ship that they were opening up.

Ok, I'm recycling old arguments here, but if that's the case - why didn't the other sections in the ship have stasis fields?

Here is what I'm talking about:

The Chibi Kiriyama

The Chibi Kiriyama

Quote from: Colin_Strause on Oct 28, 2007, 04:46:15 AM
This must set the record for the longest thread on something no one has actually seen yet. :)

Forgive me for sounding pretentious or older than I am, but I'd love to share a story with you all. It's on the subject of a film I'm fairly certain some of you saw...Spider-Man 3. If I may take a moment of your time, I'd love to share its relevance to this current conversation.

It was around...oh, August of '06...that the first leak on that film came out. It was present to the fanbase on the SHH! Boards, by an individual professing to see plot details from the script. This insider was ripped apart at the time for being a BS'er who was just making preposterous sh*t up. I mean, Venom melts? The Sandman killed Uncle Ben? Yeah, right! And for some time, people were content with their unabashful optimism on the subject. I must admit, even though I did believe him I was amongst them, thinking the filmmakers were just too smart to retain something like that.

So a few months rolled by, and then we got visual proof. It turned the forums into a wave of outrage, but the positive thinkers already had their explanations down pat. "Oh, so it alludes to him having killed Ben...it's just a trick!" "I'm sure it's already been fixed and it's not even in the movie anymore!" "What are you complaining about?! You haven't even seen the film yet!" And so things kept to a boil; even when novelizations confirmed the worst and another leaker practically divulged the script on a silver platter there were fans content with the corks-in-ears approach.

I need not tell you what happened. Suffice to say, the written word proved to be ten times worse on the big screen. Perhaps it is simply a deficiency in the human language, but sometimes words cannot convey the feeling a single bad turn gives. The positive thinkers were crushed, and duly so for defending what they knew in advance was goinng to occur.

I'm not saying this to portend some negative spin that I think will occur. In fact, I'm fairly certain this film will be received well with the people being targeted and even around the board. I bring forth this example because- once upon a time- I found out about something as negatively received as this and just did exactly what you said...I waited for the film. It turned out far, far worse than anything I could have imagined.

I'm sure some people loved that film as a whole, flaws and all, just as people will love this one for being a true revival of the concept which I can respect. But I would just extend this one favor...don't ask for people to wait. Sometimes, it's better to vent now. I'm sure your movie will make up for anything we don't take in kind, but to just expect us to wait before drawing a conclusion is like dangling food in front of a hungry beggar and withdrawing it on the principle that it's not dinnertime yet. Maybe they will wait...but human nature tells us otherwise, and history tells us that it changes nothing in the long run.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: gameoverman on Oct 28, 2007, 06:06:42 AM
It does contradict Alien, but then if egg morphing is used, Aliens contradicts Alien as well.

I still don't see how. One should be used to create the other. The new method cancels them both out, by being a lot more efficient and easier. Back-up methods stop being so when the advantages outweigh disadvantages of the usual way.

QuoteThe fury alien could've sensed the queen.

But according to the directors, this whole thing is happening because they supposedly need an initial army. The Fury one should have been going around like crazy and doing this, in preparation. It was obviously killing plenty of potential hosts around the place.

QuoteIt doesn't make natural queens obsolete.  Like I said before, maybe only the most dominant alien gets to reproduce via the 'barfing', but only when there is no queen present.

The oral thing makes egging unnecessary. Queen transformation makes natural Queens obselete. Together, they make both obselete.

What was preventing the Nostromo Alien from doing this to Dallas? Seemingly nothing.

QuoteIf the alien can only morph living people, it takes them a lot longer to build a hive.

Hence why they should only need one or two, to gain a Queen. See how those numbers work out? :)

I seem to recall the discussion with Perez pointing out a scale of time. It was a couple of days or something. I think they even refer to Her Majesty as entering the initial hermaphrodite phases much earlier. Shall have to check that.

Ballzanya

Ballzanya

I just realized.
People often point to A:R, saying "Oh, why didn't the queen vomit?"

Thing is, just because it doesn't vomit doesn't mean it can't end up laying eggs. It means no army until eggsack arrives.

The vomit thing is an aside. Just for bodyguards.

No it was mere days. when general perez asks gediman and dr. wren about it. This is what he is told.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed